Wedding Etiquette Forum

Asking a Bridesmaid to Step Down?

Is it inappropriate for bridesmaids to pay for their own hair and make-up? I'd like them to have up-do's and none of them have the skills to do their own hair and two of them are just as inept as I am to do their own make-up.

Also, and this may be the most rude thing I have ever done before, but I am considering giving one of my bridesmaids an 'out.' She recently expressed that she wished I had called her and 'fired' her from a bridesmaid's role due to finances. She also expressed tremendous relief when I explained that I am considering not having a bachelorette party or bridal shower (although I would really like to have a co-ed bridal shower). 

She can't afford the dress, the hotel room (shes out of town), the hair/make-up, and other bridesmaids expenses. I won't remove her invite of course, just the obligations that being part of a bridal party brings.

Re: Asking a Bridesmaid to Step Down?

• perdonami said:
    Is it inappropriate for bridesmaids to pay for their own hair and make-up? I'd like them to have up-do's and none of them have the skills to do their own hair and two of them are just as inept as I am to do their own make-up.

Also, and this may be the most rude thing I have ever done before, but I am considering giving one of my bridesmaids an 'out.' She recently expressed that she wished I had called her and 'fired' her from a bridesmaid's role due to finances. She also expressed tremendous relief when I explained that I am considering not having a bachelorette party or bridal shower (although I would really like to have a co-ed bridal shower). 

She can't afford the dress, the hotel room (shes out of town), the hair/make-up, and other bridesmaids expenses. I won't remove her invite of course, just the obligations that being part of a bridal party brings.

If you are requiring it, absolutely yes.  Now, if one of them wants to go get her hair and makeup done (with no hinting from you) then that's on her to pay for it.  Saying you want them to have up-dos would be hinting that they should go get their hair done since you know they don't have those skills.

The only expenses your friend should have are the dress and hotel.  There are no other expenses involved unless she chooses to pay them.  She does not need to pay for hair and make up and even if you have a bridal shower and bachelorette party she is not financially responsible for those events unless she offers to contribute to them.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • perdonamiperdonami member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Well, no one is required to pay for a bridal shower or bachelorette party (nor asked too). Most likely will not have one. Although, if I did have one she could not afford to attend them.

She brought it up already as she stated I should 'fire' her. Can't afford travel expenses and dress (dont forget shoes, nylons, etc). Wasn't sure if she was hinting at something.

Oh and their gifts have been bought (and no I would not return her gift), the make-up/hair would not have been a gift period.

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    perdonami said:
    Well, no one is required to pay for a bridal shower or bachelorette party (nor asked too). Most likely will not have one. Although, if I did have one you could not afford to attend them

She brought it up already as she stated I should 'fire' her. Can't afford travel expenses and dress (dont forget shoes, nylons, etc). Wasn't sure if she was hinting at something.

Oh and their gifts have been bought (and no I would not return her gift), the make-up/hair would not have been a gift period.

Huh?
    __SIB__
    WHAT?!
    (Edited: the formatting on this site is atrocious)
  • this is what i told my bridesmaids you can do your hair any style you want  my sister has a lot of hair products and curling and straighteners   etc  at the house  but if you want to get your hair done this is where i am going her is the number to make an apt.

if you dictate how you want it done then you must pay for it and updoos can be expensive
  • Ditto PPs. If you want a specific hairstyle (and 'up-do' is specific, unless you're OK with ballerina buns, which is the only up-do I'm capable of), you have to pay for it.

It would be incredibly rude of you to fire her. If she's worried about costs, then you need to step back and re-evaluate what you're asking of people.

Any WP member's ONLY expense is buying the right attire and showing up on time -- anything else is gravy. You don't get to demand or plan or ask for or hint at other parties. If people want to throw them for you, they will, trust me.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I'm going based on the 3 weddings I was in all for whom I was related. I understand (now) it is the bride's responsibility to pay for requirements outside of the dress, hence part of the reason I am not requiring my girls to do anything but show up in the right color. The other part is they are all amazing at doing their own hair/make-up and I can trust them to choose a flattering dress that isn't going to look like club-wear. We're all students, so I need to be mindful of their budgets as well as sticking to my own.

With that being said, those 3 weddings I was a maid in all required specific dress, matching shoes, matching hair, and make-up, all at the expense of the maids. I was 17 at the time of the first wedding and only a SR in high school...with a part-time job....my mom's reaction after I found out there were other "must haves" than just the dress was "well you accepted her request to be in the wedding, figure it out..." Being so young, I had nothing to compare it to, and no one to tell me "hey this is rude of the bride" so of course I made it work. The second 2 weddings weren't quite as big of a shock because the person doing all the hair/make-up was a fellow maid who gave us all a tremendous discount *life saver*...After being on here and planning my own wedding while going to nursing school, I completely understand how throwing your maids out there with "I want you to have x,y,z please figure out how to acquire" is bridezilla-ish. It's always beneficial to everyone to discuss budgets privately to determine before-hand if all can swing what is being asked of them.

• I will say updos don't HAVE to be really expensive.  I got my hair done up for my sister's wedding (because I certainly don't have the skills to do it myself) at Cost Cutters for like $25.  It's all relative, of course, but it's not like it needs to cost $60-$100.
  • Talk to her. Tell her that you won't fire her because you do want her in your wedding, but that if she feels she can't be in your BP, you understand and she is of course welcome at your wedding.

If you want them to wear their hair and makeup a certain way, you pay for it.

Why can't she afford her dress? Did you ask what her budget was? Is there another dress within her price range that she can wear? Anyone she can stay with during the wedding?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I wouldn't imagine asking someone to step down because she didn't fit some mold. Requiring that your girls have an updo and then not being willing to pay for it is preposterous. My MOH wants to have her hair professionally done and I'm going to go ahead and pay for it even though I don't technically have to. She is my best friend on this planet and is going out of her way to stand up with me at my wedding. It's really the least I can do!

Like others have said, it sounds like you need to get your priorities straight. Your WP members are people - hopefully your nearest and dearest - not dolls or props.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Threads like this make me sad. If any of our attendants came to us that they were having financial issues and therefore didn't know if they could be in the wedding - we would figure things out to make sure they could. 

All of my ladies are required to wear black cocktail dresses that make them feel awesome and I requested that they were red shoes. One of my maids just got married and her husband is in PT school. She has a black dress from another wedding and existing pair of red shoes - and it's perfect. My wording to them is everyone should feel comfortable in both the feel of the dress and the cost of it. I don't understand why others don't understand this.
  • edited April 2014

I would talk to your friend and tell her that if she can't afford it then she dosen't have to be a bridesmaid.  It is expected that they pay for their own dress that day but nothing else.  So really if she can just afford the dress she could still be in the wedding.  You should not be requiring her to have her hair/make-up done and it is not their responsibility to pay for a bridal shower or show up to a bachelorette party.  She can really just skip everything and pay for the dress and show up to your wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2014
    Do you have no friends or family members that are good with hair and makeup? A few of my girls expressed that they would like some help with their hair and makeup, but I unfortunately can't afford to pay to have all of their hair and make up done. However, I have a friend who is amazing with hair and makeup who offered to help out the bridesmaids the day of. Do you have anyone who could do that? It's not really fair for you to require them to shell out another 50-60 bucks to match your "vision".

Also, as far as shoes go....I would just pick something simple. No one is going to care if their shoes look identical in your photos. I just told my girls to wear nude shoes...flats, pumps....whatever. Pick your battles! None of that kind of stuff will matter in the end.
  • Personally, I think asking them to pay for more than the dress is unfair.

I think it's ok to ask for them to wear shoes in a specific color, but if you require a specific shoe, you should also pay for that.  Asking for their hair or makeup to be done a specific way means you should pay for it as well.

If one of your BMs WANTS to get her hair done, and you are not requiring it, she should pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards