Pre-wedding Parties

Gift for another Bride's Shower

Question:
I am getting married in July and one of FI's friends is getting married in May.  She invited me to her shower (I don't know her or them very well, but have been out with her a few times).  I am going to go for a bit to be social (I don't know many, if any, of the other people going).  What do you think is a good amount to spend on a gift?  I am thinking in the $40-50 range? Does that sound about right? I have only ever done showers for really close friends and I tend to spend more, I don't want to look cheap, but...

Re: Gift for another Bride's Shower

• Whatever you WANT to spend, honestly.  That's about what I would spend except for those closest to me, but "average" varies by area.
  • If you do not know her very well I would recommend not attending the shower.  It is strange to me that you were invited if you are not close as the bridal shower is for family and close friends.  But since you are going I would say a gift that totals $50 would be appropriate. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This chick has hardly anything under $50 on her registry and it feels so weird to get her one throw pillow, ha.  Oh well! 

For some reason it's not as weird to me when it's a wedding gift and I just ship it to someone's house, but for the shower where she might open in front of everyone, it is funny to think of getting her something like one set of her dishes or one set of towels...or one throw pillow.  I think I'll splurge and get her two throw pillows, then it at least feels like a cohesive gift.
  • @bananasplit they seem to be doing a bigger shower (at a restaurant/bar) and her FI is very close with mine, so I think that's why I was invited. I do want to get to know his friend's SOs better, so I think going would be a good idea, show some support and who doesn't like a nice gift, ha. 

(For the record, I did not invite  FI's friends' SOs to mine just bc I don't know them that well and thought it seemed gift grabby.)  
  • You could always do a gift card to where she is registered. Or you could see if you know someone else who is going and try to go in on a group gift? (if it's not too much trouble)
  • Thanks, all--I decided to get two throw pillows and a candle, spent more than I wanted to, but am happy with the gift and am glad I am going, even if I end up knowing basically no one there.  Never a bad idea to meet new people, right?
  • This chick has hardly anything under $50 on her registry and it feels so weird to get her one throw pillow, ha.  Oh well! 

For some reason it's not as weird to me when it's a wedding gift and I just ship it to someone's house, but for the shower where she might open in front of everyone, it is funny to think of getting her something like one set of her dishes or one set of towels...or one throw pillow.  I think I'll splurge and get her two throw pillows, then it at least feels like a cohesive gift.
    I wouldn't let her rudeness of not having gifts at every price point force you into spending more.  I'd get her one of the pillows and call it a day.  If someone judges you for buying within your budget, fuck them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards