Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Alternative to bouquet toss song help!

Hey ladies,

My FI and I are not fans of the bouquet or garter toss, so we've come up with an alternative. I'm going to get some chocolate flowers and tie them like little bouquets, and I'm going to get little chocolate candies and tie them in organza so the tie looks like a (tasteful) garter. At the given time, my FI and I will come to the dance floor, and the DJ will call up any girls and boys under the age of 16 or 18 (this is still a question), and I'll hand all the boys the "garter" candy, and my FI will hand the girls the chocolate flowers. 

First, what do you all think of this?

Second, any ideas of what song should be played for this?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Alternative to bouquet toss song help!

• Options
    That's cute. We're skipping all of that too and working with dj for something different.
  • Options
    I know no one would miss them, but I know it's the favorite part of the wedding for some of my younger cousins, so I wanted to do a little something special for them instead of just skipping the thing overall.
  • Options
    We are skipping bouquet & garter toss altogether... although the only unmarried guests over age of 12 are getting married this summer, so it would be pointless to do anyway.

• Options
    Our families would miss the tosses, so our current plan is to invite everyone out for them (not just single people because that sucks) and attach power ball tickets to them.
  • Options

We're skipping the toss and doing an anniversary dance instead.  I've always loved seeing that when people do it.  We'll have a small bouquet for longest married couple.

• Options
    The thing I would be cautious about is if you have any kids there who cannot have chocolate (allergies, diabetes, parental rules, etc.), if there is the potential for that maybe come up with something else.  I was at wedding where they did a football toss for the boys and a teddy bear toss for the girls.  

If candy isn't a concern for anyone how about "On the Good Ship Lollipop"?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would skip it. I just can't stop thinking about feeding children edible underwear.
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    I would skip it. I just can't stop thinking about feeding children edible underwear.

Yes, this exactly. The idea of giving little boys edible garters gives me the creeps. The idea that this production would need a coordinated soundtrack just sounds like over-planning.
  • Options
    I would just hand out candy roses to the kids of both genders. The candy garter rubbed me the wrong way as well when I read it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    My only concern with this idea is depending on the age of the kids, having to explan to them what a garter is, even if the one you are giving them is chocolate. You can totally skip the bouquet & garter toss. One idea that I've read about on the boards is instead of doing a toss, the couple skips the garter portion & then does an anniversary dance and the toss bouquet goes to the couple who has been married the longest.
  • Options
    Eh...idk about this. Like others have mentioned, there are allergies to think of. Also, not everyone wants their kids having candy. I would just skip it all together.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
       I knew what garters where when I was a kid (from going to weddings!) It was explained to me as something that keeps your socks up, not anything sexual. 
  • Options
    Meh. This sounds like a lot of work and I don't see how it will appease young cousins who like elbowing girls in the face or sticking hands up skirts or whatever. I would just skip it.
  • Options
    I think if this is something your crowd looks forward to and expects, it's probably because of the competition aspect of seeing who will catch things, not just about getting something. So (allergy and nutrition concerns aside) I don't know that gathering everyone around to calmly hand them candy versions would satisfy anyone.

Something I was considering doing for the bouquet toss was secretly untying them right before so when I throw them, it's a big shower of individual flowers and everyone gets one. I really don't think any of the boys will miss there being a garter toss though, or care whether or not they get a flower.

• Options
    I think if this is something your crowd looks forward to and expects, it's probably because of the competition aspect of seeing who will catch things, not just about getting something. So (allergy and nutrition concerns aside) I don't know that gathering everyone around to calmly hand them candy versions would satisfy anyone.

Something I was considering doing for the bouquet toss was secretly untying them right before so when I throw them, it's a big shower of individual flowers and everyone gets one. I really don't think any of the boys will miss there being a garter toss though, or care whether or not they get a flower.
    Have you ever untied a bouquet?  It's not that simple and the stems are different lengths.  I took one apart and one of the flowers had about a 2 inch stem on it, not something that could go in a vase if the person wanted to keep it. If you want to do that I would just go to a florist or even a grocery store and get a bunch of flowers that you just toss.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The bouquet toss was my favorite growing up. I've kept all my bouquets, but as a teen I of course wanted the dance with a handsome stranger... although twice I ended up having to dance with a cousin, :( backfire.

I don't think there really is a need to replace it if you don't want to include it :) A lot of people like it because it's kind of a show for the groom to get the garter. Like he has to impress the bridesmaids with crazy dance or whatever to get to the bride. Just a fun way to break up the evening, but nothing says if you don't have it you need an alternative!

• Options
    I would be like "Why aren't I getting a chocolate bouquet?" because I don't fit into your little age group.  Why not just announce that you are tossing one chocolate bouquet and one chocolate garter and all the guys who want to can try to catch the garter and all the ladies who want to can try to catch the bouquet?
  • Options

@lolo883 there is such a thing as a bouquet that comes apart when tossed.  I can't think of a name for it right now, though.  
  • Options
    Ah, a break apart bouquet
  • Options
    Yeah @doeydo same thing. :)

• Options
    mysticl said:

Have you ever untied a bouquet?  It's not that simple and the stems are different lengths.  I took one apart and one of the flowers had about a 2 inch stem on it, not something that could go in a vase if the person wanted to keep it. If you want to do that I would just go to a florist or even a grocery store and get a bunch of flowers that you just toss.  
    Yeah @mysticl it wouldn't be a real bouquet. Just flowers tied together with a bow that I untie when I turn my back. 

• Options
    I love the idea of untying a bouquet that spreads open so each person can catch a flower. How lovely. I also liked the idea about an anniversary dance. How does an anniversary dance work?
  • Options
    perdonami said:
    I love the idea of untying a bouquet that spreads open so each person can catch a flower. How lovely. I also liked the idea about an anniversary dance. How does an anniversary dance work?
    All the married couples go out on the dance floor for a song.  Then the DJ starts telling people to sit down.  It usually starts with anyone married less than 24 hours.  Then less than a year, 5 years, 10 years, etc until you get down to the last couple on the dance floor.  At the weddings I've been to they didn't get a "prize" instead they were asked for some words of wisdom for the bride and groom.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We're skipping the toss and doing an anniversary dance instead.  I've always loved seeing that when people do it.  We'll have a small bouquet for longest married couple.

This is what we are planning as well.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Anniversary dance could be nice but I think you have to be cautious if there are any recently divorced people in the room. It might strike a chord with some people.

Skip the chocolate bouquet/garter thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards