Wedding Woes

Deleted

edited April 2014 in Wedding Woes

Re: Deleted

• My Fiancé just proposed the idea of having a mock elopement, ceremony with just the 2 of us a photographer etc and then just telling everyone we are married but not legally getting married until later. I have accumulated some substantial debt between student loans and back taxes and our accountant advised us that under California law there is a possibility of a debt collector coming after your spouse for this. Thoughts?

Uh... what? No. Why would you even do that? If you're not going to get married yet, then don't pretend to. Faking an elopement is dumb. And I don't know about CA, but in some states if you live together and treat yourselves as married for a certain period of time, you become common-law spouses anyway.
  • schellzinatorschellzinator member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

OP - you will learn that is in the realm of what is called a PPD - or Pretty Princess Day. You should check out the Etiquette board and read the thread titled Legally married, now having a "real" wedding? Stop here first! (AKA, the PPD FAQ thread) You will find a wealth of information that will help you make the right decision on that thread.

Also - you will learn a lot from the regulars here! I got married in October of 2013 and relied heavily on the help I got on this site. The best recommendation that I have is to be open to the advice that is given.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh and student loans are yours alone.  They will not come after your husband.  Back taxes are different.  If you file together I imagine they can take a refund though.
  • Why do you want people to think you are married?
  • tawillers said:

Why do you want people to think you are married?

This. Pretend married sounds ludicrous. Either own that you're not legally married for maintaining financial separation for whatever reason, or get married and accept that all individual debts will become "family" debt.

Legally or not, in practice, short of complete and total financial separation/independence from each other, your financial strain WILL impact the both of you. Whether both you and your FI both pay down your debts just so they are paid off faster, or you FI has to shoulder more basic expenses because you use your paycheck to pay down your debts (or your paycheck is getting garnished). And make no mistake how miserable a bill collector can make the both of you, regardless of marital status.

Or, I don't know, use the Princess photoshoot money for PAYING OFF YOUR DEBTS
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Sounds like a real waste of money. If you want to spend the rest of your lives together but keep your debt separate, then ... just spend the rest of your lives together! Marriage doesn't automatically change the nature of your relationship, though it does change your legal rights and responsibilities. It might also change how others perceive you, but that's not your problem.

Also, each couple handles finances differently and you guys should do what works for you, but we felt that getting married made us a team, so we combined all our debt and most of our income. Because his debt affects me and vice versa. Have you and your boyfriend talked about how you plan to handle money, spending vs. saving, and long term financial goals?
  • So like a bizarro PPD?
  • Why the hell do you need to "pretend" that you're married? This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Pay your damn debt, and don't waste the money on fake pictures and a pretend wedding. Then, get married when you can both afford it. It's not a hard concept.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• GAWDDAMNIT!!  I HATE DD's!!  If you don't have the ovaries to stand by your post, DON'T POST!!! 

Thank goodness someone QFP.  :)

Can we get some funny gifs in here now please?
  • A DD is like:

Anywhoo I give 8 points for creativity since it's like a reverse PPD
  • shaylagirlshaylagirl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2014
    @artbyallie; I had to cover my mouth to keep from screeching with laughter over the tiger one!  I've never seen that one before, but it is a 100% WIN!!!

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-GIF

Seriously...what in the ever loving EFF?!  I only see one "Winning!!" in my comment box...but it posts twice?

You're so winning, you win TWICE!!  :)
  • :D Hey, you asked. I just delivered.
  • Well, they want the photos so they can make cute photo announcements; then they can send them out to everyone they know.

Then people will send them money.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like it when people delete their posts because they don't like the answers they were given.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards