Luxury Weddings

H's birthday

My H is going to turn 30 in a few weeks. And I need help coming up with ideas. I would like to get him a more substantial gift than normal birthdays since he will be turning 30. He doesnt have a ton of hobbies so its tough. He loves anything technology, which is something I am clueless about. He has recently started working out and taking golf lessons. He isnt solid on golf yet, so I would like to hold off before buy him a fancy set of clubs.

My original idea was a motorcycle. H loves them, but his mom told me point blank that we would be cut out of the will if he got one. She calls them "donor- cycles." My second idea was a pool table. But I am not sure we have enough space in our basement. I think it might be a bit snug.

So now I turn to you "luxury ladies." Help a girl out. I need ideas fast!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: H's birthday

• What does he do?  Would he use something like a luxury briefcase?  A fancy watch?
  • What does he do?  Would he use something like a luxury briefcase?  A fancy watch?

He works in tech. And he rarely uses his briefcase. I got him a fancy watch for our one year anniv.

This is what my friends effectionately call champagne problems.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    Maybe front-row tix to see his favorite band or sports team?  I was going to suggest an indoor golf simulator, but it sounds like you probably don't have space for that.  Or the google glass suggestion sounds interesting since he is in tech.

Or, a package of personal training sessions and/or massages at his gym?
  • A membership to a golf/country club? A gym membership? Box seats to a game? Front row tickets to a concert? A weekend away?
  • I like the idea of front row tickets to a concert. H loves Queen and they are coming into town with Adam Lambert in June.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A membership to a golf/country club? A gym membership? Box seats to a game? Front row tickets to a concert? A weekend away?

I would love a member ship to a country club, but around here the inital buy in is about 100k plus yearly dues. Which is too rich for my blood.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

I like the idea of front row tickets to a concert. H loves Queen and they are coming into town with Adam Lambert in June.

I did the awesome concert seats for DH's wedding gift. I bought plane tix to NYC, booked a hotel room for the weekend, and we even had a meet and greet with the band! He was beyond surprised and will have memories of it forever.

• I agree with the tickets to an event he'd love.

A couple years ago when they showed Blues Brothers at Wrigley, it fell on my FI's 30th. So I made a big night of it with a fancy picnic dinner and we had drinks and all that. It was kind of goofy to go watch Blues Brothers but he was like a kid in a candy store to get to sit on the field at Wrigley. He still reminds me of how cool it was.
  • One other idea if he is getting into golf would be a a gift certificate to play 18 holes at a nice public course where he could play a full round, which would give him something to work towards in his golf lessons. 
  •  I'm surprising FI for his 30th and bringing him to NYC  for a 3 day weekend this summer. I'm normally a "cheapskate" so he's not going to expect it AT ALL and I splurged on a top rated hotel so he won't expect that either! 

Is there anything he has mentioned in passing that he would like? Last winter FI said he would love the snowboard roof racks for his car so he didn't have to put the wet board in the trunk. That was in the winter, so when his b-day rolled about in August and I bought it for him he was totally shocked and loved it. 

• H is one of those annoying people who instead of waiting for a holiday to get something as a gift, he just goes out and buys it. So he literally has everythign he wants.

I have been getting a bit testy with him lately since my parents would also like birthday ideas. And H is not being helpful.

What he really wants is our backyard to be re-landscaped or build- in for our family room. Those dont exactly scream, "Happy 30th!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

H is one of those annoying people who instead of waiting for a holiday to get something as a gift, he just goes out and buys it. So he literally has everythign he wants.

I have been getting a bit testy with him lately since my parents would also like birthday ideas. And H is not being helpful.

What he really wants is our backyard to be re-landscaped or build- in for our family room. Those dont exactly scream, "Happy 30th!"

I'm that person. My DH yelled at me one time because apparently "he can't do anything for me, so he feels useless." That made me feel bad, but I reminded him that me being independent and successful is what will allow him to retire soon :)

I've gotten DH some very unique gifts in the past that might give you some ideas. Examples- 

- Membership to the "Rare Beer of the Month" Club. DH loves his beer.

- He is also a huge Nebraska Cornhuskers fan (he graduated from there), so they had an auction for signed helmets from their 1970 and 1971 championship teams. They only had 5 of each year (and the auctions were a year apart- 2010 and 2011) and we are the proud owners of 1 of the 5 from each year. They also had an auction for game worn jerseys and I got him the jersey with his favorite number on it and had it framed.

-We also visited this unique car model shop during our last trip to London. He found a F1 model he really liked, but didn't want to spend the money. So, for Xmas, I found that exact model and it happened to be signed by the driver of that exact car when he won the championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards