Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception Opinions- Please help

Hi everyone, my finace and I have been looking into wedding venues for months and I am about ready to give up. We wanted a unique barn/farm/loft/rustic type venue in northern IL. Everything is too far, too pricey, or doesn't hold enough (~200). We just looked at an orchard which is affordable, not too far, and has a beautiful ceremony space.

My concern is the space used for the reception. I wanted a really colorful (minimal white) yet rustic reception, and the walls and ceiling here are white. There is wood trim around the walls and the bar though. The chairs are white. The venue doesn't allow anything to be hung from the ceilings either. I am wondering 1.) Is the reception space appeal THAT important for the wedding and 2.) can you offer any decorating ideas to incorporate color?

Re: Reception Opinions- Please help

• Options
    I think that space looks great! You can always bring in color using table runners or linens and in your flowers and center pieces. If you want even more color you could look into using up-lighting on the walls.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Beautiful location! You can get colored tablecloths, runners, flowers, and other decor. Remember that most guests don't care much about the reception space as long as it's comfortable. Food and general ambiance are much more important.
  • Options
    That space looks great! I've been to a few barn/rustic weddings, and I'll be honest - I don't notice the walls/ceiling unless they look REALLY gross. As PPs have said, use your table decor to bring in color. I was at one barn wedding where they were able to bring in faux trees that they strong with lights - it looked really beautiful and distracted from the otherwise plain interior of the space.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love that space! 

There are tons of things you can do to add color. Colorful centerpieces are a good start. You can use large potted plants to add green (and, if you'd like, string lights through them). 

Are you not allowed to hang anything from the ceiling, period, or does your venue just prohibit the use of tape, tacks, etc.? I only ask because my venue has a similar policy, but we asked about using command hooks and they are okay with that. 
  • Options
    That space is just fine and will work for your theme.  Adding color will make the venue pop.  Use color in the table settings and centerpieces and you probably won't need much in terms of decorations.  If you use a DJ ask about using up-lighting.  You can even decorate the bar with similar pieces that you used for your centerpieces.  I would also maybe add a bow to each chair if you hate color.  Honestly I think sometimes less is more.  I would be hanging up anything along the walls and up-lighting will do the same thing.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, of all the weddings I've been too I just have an overall impression of the reception space in my head, nothing very specific. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's a beautiful space and I think you can do a lot with it.  As has been mentioned, you can use flowers, candles, colorful centerpieces, tablecloths, runners, and perhaps chair covers of some type to add color.  Also, don't forget the colors of your food and drinks!
  • Options
    I don't think it looks too plain at all. If you don't mind sharing, what is this location? I'm also in Northern IL. Can you use colored lighting to brighten things up?
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think that is a great space.

If you are really worried about decoration and colour, you can do that with your table linens, bows on the chairs, centerpieces and up-lighting.

Honestly though, when you think back on your wedding, the last thing you'll remember is if the walls were white or not ;). And your guests don't care what colour the walls are or whether your rustic theme was perfectly executed, they care that they were properly hosted with a chair and enough food and drink, that you and your FI are adorably in love, followed by a good DJ.

Not trying to make you feel bad about wanting what you want, because I completely understand how the look and presentation of the venue set the feel for the wedding in general (formal, casual, etc), but there were many details that I thought were important before the wedding that now I can't even remember and that didn't affect the actual marriage in any way. So, what I'm trying to say is don't stress yourself out trying to find the "perfect" venue when you have found one that fits your venue, guest size and overall vision. 
  • Options
    I don't think it looks too plain at all. If you don't mind sharing, what is this location? I'm also in Northern IL. Can you use colored lighting to brighten things up?
    This is what I was going to suggest. White walls are awesome! So many opportunities.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards