Wedding Woes

Almost every vendor or special thing has gone wrong so far

Wedding planned for July 5th in Jersey City NJ- our venue overlooks downtown Manhattan. 

We have had issues with almost every single one of our vendors:
- Pastor backs out 6 months before
- Hair and Make up people back out 5 months before
- Invitations had a spelling mistake on them- had to get them reprinted
- My dress came in and the color is not right- still unsure how that is being fixed
- We hired a ferry company to take people from the venue to the hotel and also to Manhattan- the dock in NJ near the hotel is closed. Now we have to ferry and bus people. 
- We picked a specific hotel in Jersey City that would make it easy to see the NYC fireworks on the 4th- they just moved the fireworks location to the other side of manhattan, people will have to travel an hour to see fireworks 

There are a bunch of other little things that went wrong and I'm at the end of my rope. I am wondering why this is happening to us? Are we trying to do too much? Are we just unlucky? Or is the universe giving us a sign that we should not get married? I'm joking on the last one, my groom is my guy but after all these things went wrong, I just wonder, what the F?? Are my expectations too high that planning this wedding should have been easier than this? 

Re: Almost every vendor or special thing has gone wrong so far

• mc123mc said:
    Wedding planned for July 5th in Jersey City NJ- our venue overlooks downtown Manhattan. 

- My dress came in and the color is not right- still unsure how that is being fixed
    - We hired a ferry company to take people from the venue to the hotel and also to Manhattan- the dock in NJ near the hotel is closed. Now we have to ferry and bus people. 
    - We picked a specific hotel in Jersey City that would make it easy to see the NYC fireworks on the 4th- they just moved the fireworks location to the other side of manhattan, people will have to travel an hour to see fireworks 

There are a bunch of other little things that went wrong and I'm at the end of my rope. I am wondering why this is happening to us? Are we trying to do too much? Are we just unlucky? Or is the universe giving us a sign that we should not get married? I'm joking on the last one, my groom is my guy but after all these things went wrong, I just wonder, what the F?? Are my expectations too high that planning this wedding should have been easier than this? 

other than losing your officiant, none of the prevents the wedding from actually happening - so find a new officiant (6 months should have been plenty of time) and don't worry about the rest of it. 

I don't understand all of the transportation issues - but I don't know why you're worried about ferrying (literally) your guests around. It's nice of you to consider helping guests with transportation (prevent DUI), but I honestly can't think of a single wedding that I have attended where I didn't arrange for my own transportation. 
  • People make mistakes, your wedding will NEVER go exactly as planned. The sooner you let go of the vice grip of wedding planning, the better off you'll be

Best thing to do is to...hair and makeup, just have your hair done, leave your bridal party to their own devices. Easier to find someone in a pinch. Find a new pastor, JOP, whatever...let the vendors fix the errors as needed....or be satisfied that you at least have a dress at all (if the vendor is going to be squirrelly about it)

As far as that painfully tight scheduling you've attempted with things that are absolutely not under your control....that's what you kinda have to understand when you assume responsibility for shuttling guests all over the place and expecting events to be where you want them. Let go of your grand orchestration and just make do the best you can.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The blessing is you have time to find other vendors.
  • mc123mc said:

mc123mc I live in NJ too and am very familiar with that area.  I do not know what your budget is but hair and make-up people are a dime a dozen in NJ.  Honestly just pick another one.I know there is the Glam fairy that is located in jersey city but she is expensive and popular. If I can recommend an officiant in NJ that is non-denominational it is my minister (Mitchel Madgee-mitch the minister is his website).  He is very popular in NYC and NJ and he may be available on that day since it is 4th of July weekend.  He responds quickly so give him a call.  As for your dress issue I would honestly talk to the dress shop and see what they can do.  If they cannot do anything then maybe lower your expectations.  Unless you dress came back blue I can't imagine any other 'white' color would be a catastrophe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks bananasplit. I managed to find another hair person and my brother in law is doing the ceremony. The dress is still up in the air but the salon is working with me. I just felt like everything was going wrong and began questioning if I was going to be happy with all the "concessions" i felt I was making to the original plan. My darling fiance has reminded me that it's just a day and as long as there is music and alcohol, with a little food and all of our family and friends, we are successful. 

I also realized I tried to do too much and be too unique because I wanted people to remember our wedding but really all that matters is that my man and I do. still really not a fan of Mayor DeBlasio though for moving the fireworks!!!  
  • The 4th of July fireworks have been in midtown for several years-- this has nothing to do with De Blasio.  You can't see them from anywhere in downtown JC.  You'd have to go to Hoboken or the Heights for that.

Glad to hear you got everything else sorted out though.  And whichever venue you have (Liberty House maybe?) anything with our view of downtown is going to be gorgeous.  Especially if your guests are not from the area, they'll be blown away and will definitely remember your wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards