Not Engaged Yet
Options

No good very bad day!

Folks, I just had one of those absolutely horrible days.

- Woke up 30 minutes later than planned, so I couldn't flat-iron my ridiculous hair before I left.

- Got to work to discover that the Tam Tams I brought with me (matzah crackers) were inedible. Like, I opened the plastic packaging, and the crackers just REEKED of polystyrene. It was disgusting. All I had brought to eat besides the crackers was a dried fruit strip.

- While I was getting ready to leave the lab for a poster session, my computer slipped out of my bag (sitting on my chair) and fell to the floor. It would not boot (gray screen forever).

- Super rainy and windy on my way to the poster session.

- Stood for three hours explaining my poster to undergrads. Legs were killing me halfway through.

- Free lunch provided was a sandwich (two choices), a cookie, an apple, and our choice of soda. I could only eat the apple, and I grabbed some water from the bubbler in the hallway.

- Spent over $100 on a new external hard drive at Radio Shack. I was hoping the Apple Store could get my data out onto the hard drive, and I'd left my external at home.

- Extra rainy/windy back (almost got blown into traffic).

- Spent 20 minutes begging for a computer to borrow for my committee meeting.

- COMMITTEE MEETING which went ... I honestly can't tell, but it was not fun in any way, and I stood the whole time. Thank goodness I had my PowerPoint on my flash drive.

- Rushed out to the Apple store in the pouring rain and wind. Had to walk past news vans commemorating the anniversary of the bombings. Then had to walk past the firehouse, where two firefighters just died.

- Geniuses at Apple explained it was my hard drive, but that they don't do data recovery.

- Trekked all the way back to campus to a repair shop. My hard drive is nearly destroyed. They have to send it to a clean room for recovery. There's an 80% chance they can recover my data, and if they do, it'll cost between $600 and $900. Would this be a problem if I backed up my computer regularly? Of course not.

- Computer is old and creaky enough that a new hard drive will only give me another year before I'm looking at a new machine. Walked out with a new MacBook Air. Goodbye, money.

- Pouring rain on the way back.

- Was able to use my old external's Time Machine ... I last backed up 9 months ago.

- Legs. Are. Killing. Me.

The good news is that if my data isn't recoverable, most of my raw data is in emails (I email myself Excel files when I collect data on other computers). I also can use email and friendly, understanding contacts to recover a lot of important files, like my qualifying exam.

But if I just backed up my computer regularly (and weren't clumsy and careless), I wouldn't have to hope and hope and hope that I can pay $600-900 for my recovered data.

Also, maybe I just need to cheer up but UGH come on, new computer, why can't I do all the swipe things I want to?!

Anyway, that's where I've been today. </whine>
Anniversary
now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~

Re: No good very bad day!

• Options
    What a horrible day! I've dropped my computer before so I know your pain. Now I get super crazy about backing everything up. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

• Options
    What an awful day!
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    BACK EVERYTHING UP, EVERYONE. Learn from my stupidity!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That stinks, I'm so sorry. Have you checked to see if your computer is covered under your renter's insurance? I know not all policies would cover that, but it's worth asking. I found this out when I spilled wine all over my computer, so I feel your pain.

I hope today is a better day. Sending you lots of wine and hugs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Sorry your day was bad.  Hope today is better!!

I've been thinking about doing an 'online backup' thing but I don't know how much I trust the security of the sites.  I currently use a fire-safe external hard drive to back up my data (but don't back up as often as I should) and it protects against fires and my drive going bad, not theft.  Just stuff to think about.

Anniversary
  • Options

Seriously, though, you win the award for worst day ever. HUGS to you. I hope today is 1000000x better!

• Options
    I'm sorry about your day! I hope that the rest of the week is 1000x better! Have a glass of wine!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you had a bad day, hopefully today and the rest of the week is better!

Anniversary

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Sorry you had such a terrible day! I hope the rest of your week is better but ugh...all of that just sucks! Hugs! Go have a nice big glass of wine or something.

• Options
    phiraphira member
    J put spiced rum in my apple cider last night <3

@lalalaurita Unfortunately, I'm not sure it would cover it. I dropped the durn thing at work, and the major reason data recovery is so essential is that it's my work data. I'll check up on it, though.

Thank you all for making me feel better. I kept thinking yesterday, "Omg wait till NEY hears about THIS."
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Holy Cow!  That is one hell of a day.  I'm sorry to hear it.  Hugs.
  • Options
    Oh man! That's the pits! I actually had something similar happen to my MacBook recently. Thankfully my last backup was about a week old, but I still lost 3 batches of photos (and considering photography makes me money, that's not cool). Not to mention I had already reformatted my memory card for my camera, so I didn't have that as back up. My hard drive completely fried. A new one cost < $100 and Q installed it. We're still trying to recover the data form my old hard drive. 

I will ditto you: BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER!!!!! And now I don't format my memory cards until I've backed up my computer. 

I hope you have a much better day today!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @phira that completely sucks! I hope that the rest of your week goes well :-)

When my roommate broke her computer, she pulled out the battery and hit it repeatedly against the ground until it broke into a bunch of pieces. Then she went a bought a new one! Violence is so helpful sometimes :-)
  • Options
    @ollie08 that was the scariest part of my wedding photographer's contract (the part where she's not liable for computer failure that deleted all my files) cause I mean my wedding day just cannot be repeated!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    @phira, did you get your data back?
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    @KeptInStitches I won't find out for another couple of weeks. The recovery rate is pretty good, apparently. My future brother-in-law, who's a web developer, says that it's actually really easy to get data off of broken hard drives, and that they're just ripping me off. That actually makes me feel better because it means it's even more likely I'll get my data back (I don't have to pay the hundreds of dollars if they can't get it back!), and I consider those hundreds of dollars to be my stupid tax for never backing my damn computer up.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @phira, it usually is, but dropped computers can sometimes be another beast. I'm glad that you should get your data back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards