Wedding Party
Options

mainiac1020mainiac1020 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2014 in Wedding Party
When I got engaged I chose my ladies with my heart instead of my head. I don't have any sisters or close cousins so I asked my best friend since practically grade school even though our lives have become complete opposite. I moved out of state for college, graduated, again moved and now have a successful career. She never left home, never got a job, had a child, and now does....well what does she do? Despite all that we have history, and we always agreed we would be each other's MOH. I made is clear to her I was not expecting typical MOH duties from her. I simply just wanted her to concentrate on saving money for her trip ( it's a destination...roughly $1200 for flight and hotel for about five days). I told her A YEAR AGO! since then she has not tried to get a job, save money, heck she hasn't even been there for me emotionally, for moral support, any planning, late night web surfing for decorations, let me vent when I was having breakdowns etching etc. I bought her dress for er, set it up to have her passport in time, and even offered to pay for half her hotel ($500). She never even took the offer! Now it's 8 weeks before my wedding day and she tells me she can't give me ad finite answer because she's still scraping money???? Then she wants me to invite an old guy friend of mine who she has never even met because he agreed to pay for her while they were chatting on facebook. She even came to a shower my mom put on in my hometown six months ago and never brought a gift..not even a card. I'm afraid I have too much self respect to have some one stand up there with me who I truly feel never prioritized me or the wedding. I'm very torn because my heart still tells me I still need her there..... When I confront her she turns it around on me!!! Saying I have ignored her and another BM because my third one is doing all the bachelorette work...well if the third one didn't I'm afraid I wouldn't even have a party! Do I go with my heart or my gut?!?!

Re: ...

• Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Nobody will care about your wedding as much as you do.  She has other priorities.  She has a child.  Kid trumps wedding everytime.  You sound like a horrible friend. You judge her because she did not follow the same life path that you did.  You demand that she spend money that she doesn't have to attend your one day party that you have managed to stretch into 5 days.  You are pissed that she did not spend money on a shower gift for you .  You micromanage her involvement in the wedding.  You expect her to "emotionally support" you during the planning process.  That is not her responsibility.  If you can't handle the planning and you need help, you hire a planner or you involve your FI.  You don't cry that your MOH, who is supposed to be your nearest and dearest, doesn't give moral support, do any planning, late night web surfing for decorations, let me vent when I was having breakdowns etching etc.  This is a wedding for goodness' sake, not something that needs support from everyone around you.  If you feel like you need moral support, then maybe you are not ready to get married.  The only thing your MOH needs to do is show up on the designated day of the wedding, not a week prior.  She needs to have the designated dress on.  She needs to smile for pictures. That is it.  Period.

You sound very self-absorbed.  You need to back off. 

ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    You knew how she was before you asked her to be MOH. Did you think she was going to change how she is just to attend your wedding? Like, she was all of a sudden going to get a job and do stuff JUST so she'd have money for your wedding? She didn't get a job to help support her baby, but somehow she was going to get up and get out and totes change her way of living... for YOU? lol, you got your hopes up, is all.
    If she can't come, she can't come. It sucks, but you shouldn't be too surprised by that outcome. Give her the same deadline everyone else has and leave it at that.
  • Options
    Wow you are all extremely judge mental I sincerely hope the majority of you are not in the midst of planning a Wedding. Yes it IS the MOH job to stay up with me..to be my moral support....and not even in the slightest is it ONLY my FI job to be there throughout this process. My, I would HATE to have maggie0829 in my life! Weddings are a once a lifetime thing and childhood (20+ years) girlfriends dream up events like these. If she couldn't swing the destination she could have easily told me prior to 8 weeks before. IM A HORRIBLE PERSON? Who else pays for the passport, dress, and offers to pay half of her trip JUST so she can be there because she means that much to me? And yes I do expect a gift at my wedding shower which she had no part in even planning...it didn't matter if it was a homemade card...it's mostly about making me feel she cares. When she was getting married I won't even start on what I did for her, I never wanted to go there because I had more finances to do so and it never mattered. The lack of interest is what matters. I have realized one thing though, there are certainly worse people out there based on these responses so I should count my blessings I don't have people like you all in my life I suppose! Thanks for that! Simple fated however you are right, I did expect her to be different based on the event and she isn't.
  • Options
    You make me want to drink a Bahama mama
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Unless you are paying her for her services, it is not her job.  

Hopefully, she sees your shitty behavior and readdresses her friendship with you.  If one of my friends treated me even a fraction of how you are treating your "friend", they would not be my friend very much longer.

If you want people at your beck and call, hire actors. 

ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    Your MOH has no responsibilities other than showing up the day of the wedding in whatever attire you selected. What kind of moral support do you need? That is ridiculous. Again, that's what your freaking FI is for. 

And why do your MOH need to prove her friendship to you? Honestly, if I were this girl, I'd never speak to you again after your wedding. You are behaving like a bridezilla. Get over yourself. 
  • Options
    If I were your MOH and I had any idea this is what you thought of me, it would be the end of our friendship. Absolutely. And probably before the wedding as well. What's more important: one day or your 20+ year friendship?
  • Options
    pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    When I got engaged I chose my ladies with my heart instead of my head. I don't have any sisters or close cousins so I asked my best friend since practically grade school even though our lives have become complete opposite. I moved out of state for college, graduated, again moved and now have a successful career. She never left home, never got a job, had a child, and now does....well what does she do? Despite all that we have history, and we always agreed we would be each other's MOH. I made is clear to her I was not expecting typical MOH duties from her. I simply just wanted her to concentrate on saving money for her trip ( it's a destination...roughly $1200 for flight and hotel for about five days). I told her A YEAR AGO! since then she has not tried to get a job, save money, heck she hasn't even been there for me emotionally, for moral support, any planning, late night web surfing for decorations, let me vent when I was having breakdowns etching etc. I bought her dress for her, set it up to have her passport in time, and even offered to pay for half her hotel ($500). She never even took the offer! Now it's 8 weeks before my wedding day and she tells me she can't give me ad finite answer because she's still scraping money???? Then she wants me to invite an old guy friend of mine who she has never even met because he agreed to pay for her while they were chatting on facebook. She even came to a shower my mom put on in my hometown six months ago and never brought a gift..not even a card. I'm afraid I have too much self respect to have some one stand up there with me who I truly feel never prioritized me or the wedding. I'm very torn because my heart still tells me I still need her there..... When I confront her she turns it around on me!!! Saying I have ignored her and another BM because my third one is doing all the bachelorette work...well if the third one didn't I'm afraid I wouldn't even have a party! Do I go with my heart or my gut?!?!
    You need to grow up. You call us judgmental? Yet you write that line that is bolded up above. It is not your friends job to stay up with you perusing the web at 2AM for your Pinterest perfect wedding. She has a kid,and whatever life choices she made are really honestly none of your business. You are not being a good friend by saying she is not doing anything with her life. She's a MOM. So yea, that's what she does. You have to realize that only you and your FI will care about your wedding as much as you do. People have lives, and other priorities that trump your wedding. You really need to put things into perspective.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    When I got engaged I chose my ladies with my heart instead of my head. I don't have any sisters or close cousins so I asked my best friend since practically grade school even though our lives have become complete opposite. I moved out of state for college, graduated, again moved and now have a successful career. She never left home, never got a job, had a child, and now does....well what does she do? Despite all that we have history, and we always agreed we would be each other's MOH. I made is clear to her I was not expecting typical MOH duties from her. I simply just wanted her to concentrate on saving money for her trip ( it's a destination...roughly $1200 for flight and hotel for about five days). I told her A YEAR AGO! since then she has not tried to get a job, save money, heck she hasn't even been there for me emotionally, for moral support, any planning, late night web surfing for decorations, let me vent when I was having breakdowns etching etc. I bought her dress for her, set it up to have her passport in time, and even offered to pay for half her hotel ($500). She never even took the offer! Now it's 8 weeks before my wedding day and she tells me she can't give me ad finite answer because she's still scraping money???? Then she wants me to invite an old guy friend of mine who she has never even met because he agreed to pay for her while they were chatting on facebook. She even came to a shower my mom put on in my hometown six months ago and never brought a gift..not even a card. I'm afraid I have too much self respect to have some one stand up there with me who I truly feel never prioritized me or the wedding. I'm very torn because my heart still tells me I still need her there..... When I confront her she turns it around on me!!! Saying I have ignored her and another BM because my third one is doing all the bachelorette work...well if the third one didn't I'm afraid I wouldn't even have a party! Do I go with my heart or my gut?!?!
    Quoting JIC.

All she has to do it show up.  If she pulls it together and shows up, great.  If not, then that coupled with the fact that you clearly do not like her and have no respect for her or her life decisions ought to be enough to end this "friendship."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow you are all extremely judge mental I sincerely hope the majority of you are not in the midst of planning a Wedding. Yes it IS the MOH job to stay up with me..to be my moral support....and not even in the slightest is it ONLY my FI job to be there throughout this process. My, I would HATE to have maggie0829 in my life! Weddings are a once a lifetime thing and childhood (20+ years) girlfriends dream up events like these. If she couldn't swing the destination she could have easily told me prior to 8 weeks before. IM A HORRIBLE PERSON? Who else pays for the passport, dress, and offers to pay half of her trip JUST so she can be there because she means that much to me? And yes I do expect a gift at my wedding shower which she had no part in even planning...it didn't matter if it was a homemade card...it's mostly about making me feel she cares. When she was getting married I won't even start on what I did for her, I never wanted to go there because I had more finances to do so and it never mattered. The lack of interest is what matters. I have realized one thing though, there are certainly worse people out there based on these responses so I should count my blessings I don't have people like you all in my life I suppose! Thanks for that! Simple fated however you are right, I did expect her to be different based on the event and she isn't.
    You are being a spoiled little fool and you deserve every ounce of stress and self-pity you've brought upon yourself.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I seriously think this screams MUD. Or OP is a troll in bride-zilla's clothing. "cause no one can really be this selfish, naive, rude, immature, classless, clueless, self-absorbed, ruthless nor uncaring to someone she calls a lifetime friend. To echo PP's, did it even occur to you before making her your MOH, that having a destination wedding might not be feasible to everyone? Even if you offered to pay part of it, she might feel horrible for you having to do so.

Also, you tell me how cheap it is to raise and pay for a child when your unemployed. My guess is you cannot tell me because if you could, this post might be completely different. As would your perspective be. Please understand you are in the wrong. And also realize you AND your FI's wedding is not the center of everyone's life right now, and will never be. So if you need help, ask the one person for it who is involved in it the most. HIM. Not your mom, or MOH or BM's. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I really hope this is MUD because you are acting like a spoiled brat. How do you expect her to save all this money for your wedding when she isn't working and has a child? I don't have children yet but, some months when I wasn't working and was going to school I remember almost crying thinking of how I would pay my electricity bill or go grocery shopping. $1200 would have seemed impossible to save up for even if I had over a year.

Please just put yourself in her shoes for a moment. She has a lot going on. You don't ask someone to be your MOH because they buy you gifts for your bridal shower and give you "moral" support. You ask them because they are close to you and you want them to beside you at your wedding.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    April Fools Day was over two weeks ago.

• Options
    FFS...where's my flask?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FFS...where's my flask?
    Here you go

• Options
    uh oh, she changed the title. I'm like a moth to a flame!
  • Options
    Gee, I can't imagine why someone like you wouldn't have tons of close friends. 
  • Options
    DD.  No surprise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards