Wedding Woes
Options

Should I collect a debt I've forgiven?

Dear Prudie,
About a year ago, I loaned a large sum of money to a former co-worker with the understanding that he would pay it back. His salary is low, and money is always tight for him. I earn a generous salary and have plenty of money in savings, although I am still working on establishing myself financially. When I loaned him the money I understood that there was a significant chance he would not pay me back. A year went by without any contact from my former co-worker, and I assumed that my "loan" was effectively a donation to him and his family. The loanee has recently contacted me and told me he is going to start paying me back bit by bit now that he has gotten a raise and is not living paycheck to paycheck. Do I accept repayment, when I have enough money and he is still making much less?

—Forgive or Collect?

Re: Should I collect a debt I've forgiven?

• Options
    NOLA, you can exit my brain stage left now.  ;)  Those are the exact thoughts I had about the question.  
  • Options
    What NOLA said, or have him do some sort of pay-it foreword type of thing.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    There is something empowering about being a grown-up who pays the bills.  It's weird, but it's more exciting to get a 'paid in full' when you've paid something than just have it forgiven.

(Although this does put me in mind of the story, my O. Henry maybe?  about the woman who borrowed the necklace and spent her whole life paying it ack and it was fake)
  • Options
    I totally thought this was going to go in a different direction - more like, "I forgave this debt, but now I'm poor, can I harass the guy?" 

Of course she should have him pay it back. He said it was a loan, and he's being honorable and making good on that. I might forgive him at the halfway point if it really wasn't a problem for me, but GBCK is right: it's empowering to know that you can pay your debts. 
  • Options
    That was an upsetting story.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    yeah, depressing as heck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards