Plus-Sized
Options

Dress Disappointment

I had a very specific idea of what i wanted for my dress: tea length, ivory lace with the lining in teal blue (so the teal would peak through the lace). I told my Mom about my idea and asked if she could make it. (She has made me clothes since i was a baby) She said she was up for it. Oh and this was about  5 months before the wedding. The pattern I had in mind was pretty simple (at least to my thought and all the reviews i read about it), but it would require a few tweeks to get to exactly what I wanted. I'm a size 16/18 so I got a pattern that went up to 16.

Mom made a sample dress, and the chest was too small :( She was pretty upset about that. I think it discouraged her & she doubted her ability. We found a new pattern in a larger size that wouldn't require the tweeks - but after looking at it she was still pretty nervous. My Mom is a perfectionist and I think the presure of making "the most important dress of a girls life" was pretty intimidating.

After some though, I decided that I would let Mom off the hook and just find a dress to purchase. But now - because a lot of my other plans was based on the dress (such as my purple pettycoat & peacock shoes) - I knew I needed something with the same silhouette. Tea length, lace dresses in bigger sizes, that don't have to be ordered, are not that easy to find. Oh - and all this was decided about 9 weeks before the big day (May 31, 2014)

I was fortunate and found a dress, off the rack at David's Bridal - and it fits me beautifuly. It doesn't have the teal lining, but I am doing a teal sash - so at least that color is still incorporated. Its not the one of a kind I was hoping for - but Mom's peace of mine is worth this little sacrifice.

My alterations appointment is tomorrow - just need a few darts in the bust line so it sits better - and maybe have the hem taken up an inch or so.

Anyone else have their hearts set on a dress that just didn't work out the way you planned?

Re: Dress Disappointment

• Options
    I think you'll find that many girls here go into dress shopping with their heart set on something and they end up with something completely different.  As long as you feel beautiful in your new dress, that's all that matters.  And be happy that you found something in such short time.....you don't have to stress about that.  And your mom doesn't have to stress anymore either.  :)
  • Options
    but you have the awesome petticoat - you'll be smashing!

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards