Chit Chat

Family is so Helpful

As I mentioned in a different thread, this weekend I went to visit family. And this is the first time I saw many of them since I've gotten engaged. Here are the wonderful comments/one-liners that I had to bean-dip. Some have my thoughts in italics after the comment (a little more judgmental than usual, due to me being cranky)

My parents have been wonderfully hands off though. So just extended family. 

Grandma:
-What are you doing for a cake? You should get an all white cake. Cousin's cake had black on it and it was ugly and terrible looking. And her marriage didn't last. All white looks much better. Yes, clearly the divorce problem is due to the invention of non-white wedding cakes. And I'm glad that the cake's look was sooo important to you, as a guest. 

-I hope you aren't spending money on that wedding. It is stupid to pay so much for one day. That is why marriage doesn't last. People just don't understand the meaning of marriage these days.  Well considering you have been married twice, both to abusive assholes, I guess you would know? 

-I was looking at dresses and you can order off of Amazon, though dresses really shouldn't cost more than $50. Yes, because I want to order a dress that I have no idea how it fits or the quality. Also, I will buy a cheaper dress, but not under $50

-I think this cake topper I found with the bride dragging the groom is hilarious, do you want me to get it for you? I mean, FI took 7 years to propose so you much be dragging him at this point. Clearly it had nothing to with the fact that we are still young and both finishing graduate school. That didn't play in our decision making. Neither did the fact that I told FI that I wasn't ready yet. 

Aunt

-Have you looked at pintrest? Plenty of great ideas. 
-You shouldn't do hydrangeas. They are terrible wedding flowers. I haven't told you our flowers yet, but we were considering those, so thank you. 
-What is your theme? You have to have a theme! Getting married? 
-You should absolutely do circular chair seating because my daughter did that and it was perfect. She also only had like 30 people at her wedding and an outdoor venue with plenty of space. 100-200 people inside isn't quite the same situation.
-Why would you choose winter? That is a terrible time to get married. Thanks. Because our schedules didn't play any role in the time. Also my parents happen to be married in the winter, as well as 3 other aunts and uncles. So way to insult everyone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Family is so Helpful

I'm using hydrangeas. Anyone who knows enough about the language of flowers to know a hydrangea can mean "heartlessness" also knows it can mean "thank you for understanding"

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:

I'm using hydrangeas. Anyone who knows enough about the language of flowers to know a hydrangea can mean "heartlessness" also knows it can mean "thank you for understanding"
    I will be drinking wine tonight. She didn't even know what they meant, she just thought they were bad flowers to work with I guess?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having a winter wedding in the north and you don't even KNOW how mad that makes random people. Everyone else is fine with it.

How are you going to be colder during a wedding than you would normally be? That's everyone's point, "it's going to be freezing!!". It'll be freezing on that day whether I get married or not, and you'll still be cold. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    I'm having a winter wedding in the north and you don't even KNOW how mad that makes random people. Everyone else is fine with it.

How are you going to be colder during a wedding than you would normally be? That's everyone's point, "it's going to be freezing!!". It'll be freezing on that day whether I get married or not, and you'll still be cold. 
    Exactly. It isn't like I'm holding my wedding outside. Inside has heat and a giant fireplace. It will be nice and warm, I promise. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chibiyui said:

I will be drinking wine tonight. She didn't even know what they meant, she just thought they were bad flowers to work with I guess?
    Then she has terrible taste cause hydrangeas are fucking awesome. :p

One day, I will have balls to the wall hydrangea garden going on. 

Anniversary
  • :rofl hydrangeas all the way. I stopped telling people about things when one of my fiance's cousin's said, "If that is what you like" when I told her about my wedding dress. Yes, that IS what I like, which is why I BOUGHT it! If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it!

Oh and it doesn't stop. Right now, my mom is trying to get the reception hall to change their layout because it isn't "what we want" uh... who is 'we'? So far the only 'we' I see is YOU. Please ask my opinion before making demands of my vendors for things I frankly don't care about.
  • SBmini said:
    :rofl hydrangeas all the way. I stopped telling people about things when one of my fiance's cousin's said, "If that is what you like" when I told her about my wedding dress. Yes, that IS what I like, which is why I BOUGHT it! If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it!

Oh and it doesn't stop. Right now, my mom is trying to get the reception hall to change their layout because it isn't "what we want" uh... who is 'we'? So far the only 'we' I see is YOU. Please ask my opinion before making demands of my vendors for things I frankly don't care about.
    luckily I don't get that from my parents much at all. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hydrangea is THE flower for our wedding! There's a hydrangea motif in our envelopes (back), the invitation, the RSVP card, not to mention its all over the place for our bouquets and centerpieces..

But I think they are a beautiful flower! So whatever. Your grandma is cray.

image   image   image

• As I mentioned in a different thread, this weekend I went to visit family. And this is the first time I saw many of them since I've gotten engaged. Here are the wonderful comments/one-liners that I had to bean-dip. Some have my thoughts in italics after the comment (a little more judgmental than usual, due to me being cranky)

My parents have been wonderfully hands off though. So just extended family. 

Grandma:
    -What are you doing for a cake? You should get an all white cake. Cousin's cake had black on it and it was ugly and terrible looking. And her marriage didn't last. All white looks much better. Yes, clearly the divorce problem is due to the invention of non-white wedding cakes. And I'm glad that the cake's look was sooo important to you, as a guest. 

-I hope you aren't spending money on that wedding. It is stupid to pay so much for one day. That is why marriage doesn't last. People just don't understand the meaning of marriage these days.  Well considering you have been married twice, both to abusive assholes, I guess you would know? 

-I was looking at dresses and you can order off of Amazon, though dresses really shouldn't cost more than $50. Yes, because I want to order a dress that I have no idea how it fits or the quality. Also, I will buy a cheaper dress, but not under $50

-I think this cake topper I found with the bride dragging the groom is hilarious, do you want me to get it for you? I mean, FI took 7 years to propose so you much be dragging him at this point. Clearly it had nothing to with the fact that we are still young and both finishing graduate school. That didn't play in our decision making. Neither did the fact that I told FI that I wasn't ready yet. 

Aunt

-Have you looked at pintrest? Plenty of great ideas. 
    -You shouldn't do hydrangeas. They are terrible wedding flowers. I haven't told you our flowers yet, but we were considering those, so thank you. 
    -What is your theme? You have to have a theme! Getting married? 
    -You should absolutely do circular chair seating because my daughter did that and it was perfect. She also only had like 30 people at her wedding and an outdoor venue with plenty of space. 100-200 people inside isn't quite the same situation.
    -Why would you choose winter? That is a terrible time to get married. Thanks. Because our schedules didn't play any role in the time. Also my parents happen to be married in the winter, as well as 3 other aunts and uncles. So way to insult everyone.

aww this makes me sad..our flowers are hydrangeas! :( Your aunt knows nothing! ;) 
    Anniversary
  • Hydrangea is THE flower for our wedding! There's a hydrangea motif in our envelopes (back), the invitation, the RSVP card, not to mention its all over the place for our bouquets and centerpieces.. But I think they are a beautiful flower! So whatever. Your grandma is cray.
    @sugargirl1019 ..did you get your invites from VP? I think I know which ones they are if so, because we got them too!!!! What colors are you guys going with? 

#threadjack
    Anniversary
  • @smalfrie19

We had ours custom made from a local stationary place, but now I want to go searching for this hydrangea invite from VP.

Ours is embossed ink on a pearl color card with a coral border, and then the hydrangea motif is in light barely there ink in the bottom corner. I don't have the option to take blur out all of our information at the moment, otherwise I would take a picture to show you!

image   image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards