Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Can't have flower girl petals, help!

The place we are having out ceremony is a historic chapel and has lots of restrictions for the ceremony.  We are not allowed to have the flower girl throw petals or anything, and I hate those ball on a string things.  What other options do we have?  My niece will be carrying the rings on a woodblock, and I think if the flower girl carried a sign, the ring bearer would have to also?  Just haven't seen much instead!

Re: Can't have flower girl petals, help!

• Could she wave a ribbon wand? That would be quiet but still joyful and eye-catching.
  • Other ideas, depending on her age/personality:
    Blow bubbles up the aisle
    Give her a triangle, bells, tambourine, or shaker eggs, if you're cool with the noise
    Let her do a small dance routine along the aisle
    Let her carry something else--corsage, a pretty purse, fan, parasol, lantern?
  • I had two flower girls.  The older one carried a small bouquet of the same flowers as mine and the bridesmaids.  The younger one carried a basket with bride and groom teddy bears in it.  I've been told that part way through the ceremony the flower girl sat down and started playing with the bears.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The place we are having out ceremony is a historic chapel and has lots of restrictions for the ceremony.  We are not allowed to have the flower girl throw petals or anything, and I hate those ball on a string things.  What other options do we have?  My niece will be carrying the rings on a woodblock, and I think if the flower girl carried a sign, the ring bearer would have to also?  Just haven't seen much instead!
    Ring bearers don't have to carry signs at all, and neither do flower girls.  Not only that, there are people, including myself, who just don't find them "cute" but do find them cliched, overdone, unoriginal, and other negatives.

Honestly, child attendants don't have to carry anything at all.
  • Maybe she can just carry flowers of some sort.  Examples:
    If your flower girl can't throw petals down New Orleans, St. Louis Cathedral's aisle, just a beautiful basket of arranged flowers, using blush roses, ivory roses, and some mixed greenery still does the trick!
    imageimage
    Or she could do something else, such as blow bubbles (ask your venue about this, though):
  • Our flower girl is just carrying a small bouquet. I can't even think of the last time I saw a flower girl actually drop petals; it's been a while. 

Ditto Jen on the signs - overdone Pinterest wedding idea. 
  • My flower girls are throwing silk flower petals, because real petals aren't allowed to be thrown in my venue. If your girl can't throw anything at all, I think carrying a bouquet or a small arrangement of flowers would be adorable. Bubbles are cute, but if the venue is picky about flowers, I could see them not wanting bubbles to fall and pop on the floor.
  • What about skipping the sign & having the ring bearer carry the rings & have the two flower girls do bubbles? I think that would look so cute
  • Erikan73 said:
    What about skipping the sign & having the ring bearer carry the rings & have the two flower girls do bubbles? I think that would look so cute
    Make sure the venue is okay with bubbles if you want to do that.  If they don't allow bubbles either, it's okay if the kids just walk down the aisle.  They don't have to carry anything.
  • My flower girls aren't allowed to drop petals either (our church has a new cork floor).  Instead, our florist will be making small pomanders of ivory flowers for them to carry.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • I'm not sure of exactly how to describe it but I'm making what's essentially pomanders on wands. There will then be ribbons coming down like wands. The pomander will be smaller so keep it light but the ribbons should make it fun to wave around!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • At my venue, they will allow dropping petals, but we need to have someone pick them up IMMEDIATELY after the ceremony is done, so we are debating skipping it also.  Although, I'm sure we could convince the flower girl to pick them up.  If we skip it, I think we are going to just have the flower girl carry a small bouquet, similar to bridesmaids bouquets, but maybe even a little smaller.

• Our flower girl is carrying two stuffed K-9s who are wearing a birdcage veil and a tie. We're geeks, wedding is on Halloween, and the kid is a doll, but would either not drop anything or would stop and pick it back up.

There's betting going on how long before she starts playing with her new "goggies". I'm down for 4 minutes and 39 seconds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards