Rhode Island
Options

What to look for in a wedding photographer!!

I was wondering if you girls can give me some advice into what you look for in your wedding photography. I have been looking on line and the prices and packages they offer are all so different. Is there a must have in the packages? Do you prefer one or two photographers? Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Re: What to look for in a wedding photographer!!

• Options
    I started our search off by price and then narrowed down photographers by style or look of their previous weddings.  The next big thing is personality.  It really helps if you feel comfortable with the photographer as they are going to be "stalking" you for hours that day.
    We did a pretty basic package (coverage, engagement session, proof book, & cd), but the one thing I looked for was a disc with all the photos.  Since we had all our photos, we were able to make our own albums online and print copies whenever we want.  The engagement session was helpful to build the relationship with the photographer and learn some "poses" to use on the big day.  We only paid for our photographer (Olivia Gird), but her assistant was there and took photos as well.
  • Options
    I agree with Molly&Andy.

Start off with budget and style. I went over all of their previous pictures and reviews first.
    Then we met to chat and talked about what we liked. I showed examples of other photographer's work that I liked, his work that I liked and what I didn't like.  

We talked about the ceremony, must have shots, his experiences working with large families (for the family photos).  Also, ask for a backup plan, ie, in the event that the photographer gets sick and can't make it, he is responsible for finding a backup photographer and they bring extra sets of equipment.

For packages, we just wanted it to cover pre-ceremony, and a few hours into the reception, so we did a 7 hour package with an option to extend hours. We wanted all the digital files (edited by him of course) and the right to print whatever we want.  This means we can make our own photobook, and while the photographer's photobooks were lovely, I didn't want to pay a $1000 for those (this was actually his suggestion).

Try to focus on what you want.  Do you want them for x many hours, do you want multiple angles, ie, photo of you (front) walking up the aisle or to catch the expression on his face when you're walking up the aisle-then you might want 2 photographers? Do you want a package that include your photobook and a set for the parents?

If you see a package you like but the photographers you're interested in doesn't offer it, you can always ask them for it.  I find that most are pretty flexible.
  • Options
    Light.  

They've got to be able to get consistently good light in all situations from a sunny beach at noon to a dark venue dance floor.

Personality.

They're the ONLY vendor you hire that's with you the entire day start to finish.

Images.

You should have full unrestricted access to every image to do whatever you want with.

Price.

Some photogs that suck charge 5k while others that are amazing charge 1k.  

We used Berryphotos out of MA.  They were the perfect fit for us.  You can check out their website at www.berryphotos.com if you're interested.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards