Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Omitting dances...

KikiMiraKikiMira member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited April 2014 in Nevada-Las Vegas
So after a long discussion with my father on sunday, he said he will not be up for dancing with his back issues. This is fine, I am completely happy with him being there to witness our wedding. 

However, FH's mom quickly spoke up at easter dinner last night, "if you aren't doing a father/daughter, I don't want to do mother/son. I can't dance and I would rather not"... Ok fine, I am completely ok with this, so is he.

So, tonight, I said to FH, we should practice dancing, like right now. He rolled his eyes and moaned and groaned about it. I said fine, we won't dance either, you have no interest in it. (which I knew for a while he wouldn't want to do it) I sat down and did some research,  I found a first drink in place of a first dance. I put this idea out there for him, and it is the first time he seemed it excited. He responded with "really, this is so Vegas! shit that is awesome, we are so doing it. I would rather do this"

"First Drink - Instead of mixing your unity cocktail during the ceremony, save it for the reception in leu of a first dance! 

Kicking off your reception with a first drink is quick and painless and does double duty for shy brides & grooms as it can help to calm nerves and will probably help put you in the mood to dance later on… with everyone else, of course. "

So, how would we transition this into our reception after our grand entrance... We aren't going to tell anyone! But I am trying to think of how to work it in smoothly and if our venue will allow this, if so what kind of drink!? Suggestions!? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Omitting dances...

• Options
    I love this idea!  

Will you have a dance floor?  I would see if the venue can set up a small table in the center of the dance floor with all the items you'll need for the cocktail.  Do your grand entrance and walk up to the table and have the DJ/MC or someone explain what you are doing.  

Do you guys have a favorite drink?  Or could you find a fun martini that goes with your wedding colors?  You could also make the drink your signature cocktail for the night.

This sounds so fun!
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • Options
    First drink!  I love it too!  We weren't going to dance anyway so I was looking for something else fun to do.  that sounds perfect.  Good question though, what to drink.  I like the fun martini in wedding colors idea but I also need a non alcoholic version of whatever it is.  Will have to think more about that one. 
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
  • Options
    Woot! We are still trying to figure out our drink but the song we picked is Cheer's by Rihanna! For the song playing while we mix it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love that song! Good choice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Options
    I like that idea too.  My wife convinced me to do a first dance with her but I told my mom no, not happening, I don't want to dance with you sorry lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    Haha I tried... I dance with a troop, so everyone was expecting us to do some amazing dance. Fh didn't want to disappoint since he has 2 left feet. I think this was a great alternative.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are omitting dances as well, but we aren't replacing it with anything.  You idea sounds cute
  • Options
    Love this idea!! Might have to steal it... let us know what you do!
  • Options
    kazzykazzy member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Is doing a custom wedding shot too tacky?? You could have waiters walk around with trays of champagne, cocktails or shots just before you make the announcement, and just make it a pre-party toast.

I didn't do any dancing at my Border Grill reception and do not regret a minute of it. We didn't replace it with anything, and no one ever asked why we didn't have a dance. It was hard enough to get married infront of 40 people, let alone spend four minutes awkwardly dancing infront of them, haha. :) 

// Little Vegas Wedding blog - click for modern Vegas wedding inspiration, ideas and venues! //
    // Springs Preserve + Border Grill bride, May 2010 //

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards