Registry and Gift Forum

What's a good knife set to register for?

We really need a good set of kitchen knives.  What are some good brands out there, what kind of knives do you have or are registering for or what should I be looking for in knives?

Re: What's a good knife set to register for?

• Personally, I really like Wusthof and Shun knives, but your best bet is to go to a store like Williams-Sonoma and try a bunch of knives to see which ones feel best. And you don't need a big set, just a chef's knife and a paring knife, and maybe a carving knife (I always use my chef's knife to carve). There's no need to spend a lot of money on a bread knife because serrated blades like that can't be sharpened, so you'll need to replace it when it gets dull.
  • I have a few Henckel knives.  I really like them and would love to get more but they are on the expensive side.

Honestly, when getting a knife set I would skip the steak knives.  You should think about what knives you use a lot and then just register for those instead of an entire set.  For me, I would get a pairing knife, a utility knife, a slicing knife (similar to the utility knife but just longer) and maybe a chef knife or a santoku knife (I have one of these and I really love it).

• We have a mix of different brands of good knives (Wustof and Henkels mostly), so we're just getting a few more to round out our needs.  We're skipping the big block and getting a cork knife holder for a kitchen drawer.  I think people are more likely to buy knives individually for weddings and showers than to get a $500 knife block as a group. 
  • I have a few Henckel knives.  I really like them and would love to get more but they are on the expensive side.

Honestly, when getting a knife set I would skip the steak knives.  You should think about what knives you use a lot and then just register for those instead of an entire set.  For me, I would get a pairing knife, a utility knife, a slicing knife (similar to the utility knife but just longer) and maybe a chef knife or a santoku knife (I have one of these and I really love it).
    This pretty much exactly.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited April 2014
    whoops, deleted. :)

• I registered for this set http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8260465/?wlitemid=8260465&wlid=2cpgpmkgmj&ggfrl=1 (Wusthof). But I don't think anyone will get it for us.

and its been great. I have had it for over 2 years now. The knives have held their edge pretty well.
  • I registered for individual Wusthof knives along what Maggie suggested. Much excite.

• I wouldn't use any knives but Cutco. They have a forever guarantee, and you can send them back to the factory anytime to have them sharpened for free. Also, if one breaks or something happens to it, whether it was your fault or not, they'll replace it for free. Can't beat that. They're a little more expensive than most knives, but they are WORTH IT!

I agree though, register for individual knives you'll use most instead of a big set!
  • We went to Sur la Table ( www.surlatable.com ) and they had some great, high quality knives. We already had a semi-decent set so we opted out of registering for another, but it was very tempting! And it was recommended to us also to register individually because not everyone can shell out the big bucks for a whole set. Good luck! 
  • JA Henckel 
    photo Isbell-232_zpsdaf64dd5.jpg
  • I love the Victorinox Fibrox knives. They're inexpensive, easy to sharpen, and fit my hand beautifully. They have handles in different sizes but the weight balance works well for me. They're technically dishwasher safe though I'd never run a knife through the dishwasher.

I have a few Henckels and Wustoffs as well as a Shun but these are my favorites by far. They're popular with cooking schools but are definitely not as flashy.

We're registering for a few more sizes of Fibrox knives and a second Kapoosh knife block (here). Cook's Illustrated raved about the block years ago and I love it. We just have a few too many knives for the current block alone.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My parents got Cutco's (a basic set like suggested) as their wedding present 48 years ago, they still use them daily and thy've held up so well!  They started me with a set when I got married, and I'm adding to it piece by piece because they are pricey, but so worth it.  I love to cook and they get used daily.  

We also registered for individual Henkels and got a full set of them…I love them as well!!  Helkel's are a little more affordable than the Cutco.
  • I've been told you aren't supposed to register for knives! :-) Something superstitious about it being bad luck for other people to buy them for you. If I was going to, I'd probably go for Wusthof or Henckel.

We got a Farberware set recently, and while they're on the less expensive side, I loooooove how they're all one piece of metal -- no crevices for food and dirt to get stuck. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards