Attire & Accessories Forum

2nd Thoughts about my dress

I purchased my wedding dress in February for my September wedding. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts about it. I loved it at first mainly because all of my family members who accompanied me to try dresses on loved it immediately. But now I feel like I purchased it too quickly and that I should have taken my time in finding the perfect dress. Especially when I look at pictures of dresses similar to style of what I originally wanted. Can anyone else relate? I'm almost considering selling the dress I bought (because David's Bridal has a no cash refund policy) and buying a different dress.

Re: 2nd Thoughts about my dress

• Yup, been there. And about a million other brides have as evidenced by the numerous threads on the board saying the same thing. I still may try and find my dream dress preowned and selling mine (even though it's beautiful). Maybe it would help if you posted pictures of your dress and we can give objective opinions?

• Have you tried it on again?  What about trying on different accessories with it?
  • I did the same thing. Made myself insane for 7 months.  Bought my dress in Februrary for my September wedding. I ended up buying a second dress at a sample sale, and ultimately, ended up wearing my original dress.   
  • I feel the same way about mine. I bought mine in a hurry. We went to one shop where everything was out of my price range and it scared me a little. The next shop had prices dramatically lower, and because of that their dresses didn't stay around long. I picked mine because it was pretty, inexpensive, and I was worried it would get sold before I could get back to it. Still, it's really not what I imagined for myself. I wish I had shopped around more, but I finally decided that since they don't do returns I have to be happy with it.

I did buy my dress on the one year anniversary of my first date with my fiancé. Not many brides can say that, and that is pretty cool.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually just went through a similar situation. I had a vision in my head of the type of dress that I wanted. It was the second dress I tried on. But I kept trying on dresses and my family that I brought ending up loving one of the last dresses I tried on. So I thought I loved it. I only put money down that day. But as soon as I left I started having regrets. I wasn't comfortable in it and it wasn't what I pictured myself in. 

You should try it on again to make sure. That's what I did. I went back to the salon and tried on the one I put money down, and the one I kept thinking about. Turns out, I should have went with my gut the whole time. Is it the perfect dress? Well nothing is "perfect" What matters is that you love it and can see yourself getting married in it. 

Also, I would suggest to stop looking at wedding dresses after you purchase your gown. It'll just confuse you and you'll start to get those thoughts. 

But if you are really having second thoughts, the only way to make yourself feel better is trying it on again with other dresses you have in mind. It's your wedding day and you should be happy and comfortable. 

• I CAN TOTALLY RELATE!!!

Here's what I did: I tried to really focus on which details I do not like about my dress and opted for some slight alterations (e.g. I'm getting a different sash now).
    This makes a huge difference and also gives me peace of mind since I know I have actively worked on getting the best out of my (too early) chosen dress.
  • Have you tried on it again? Pays more attention to the detail of that dress.Every wedding dress has its own selling point and feature.It is a waste of energy and money to purchase another dress and selling this one.
  • FWIW- I just went to try on my dress again today along with another that I had my eye on since before I bought my dress...and fell in love with the other dress. Sometimes you just know and sometimes you might need a reminder but everyone's situation is different. For the record, my wedding is August and I bought my dress in November.
  • I also bought my dress in February for my September wedding. I was so happy & then about a month ago I started questioning it. The dress that I bought is totally different than the dress that I had pictured. So, I thought maybe I made the wrong choice. Maybe I didn't shop around enough etc, etc. It seems to be a common phenomenon. Luckily I have my sister who tells me that I'm being crazy. If he says it then I believe it. I haven't been able to try my dress on again because the salon that I bought it from keeps it for you until right before the wedding. I have a fitting this Wednesday to add cap sleeves. I'm hoping all these nerves will settle down then. I cried when I put it on the first time. Maybe the 2nd time. We'll see. I'm rambling, but trust your original instinct when you purchased your dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards