Not Engaged Yet

All things sports

So I was just wondering about sports...

1) Do you play them now? 

2) Did you play any sports growing up?

3) Do you like watching them on TV and/or actually going to the games? 

4) Do you simply tolerate them on your partner's behalf? 

5) Any particular ones you like or dislike?

Re: All things sports

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

1) Do you play them now? Only if corn hole, ladder golf, bocce ball, running, and frisbee count. I do them all casually. No team sports or competition for me...right now anyway.

2) Did you play any sports growing up? Yes. I played soccer and softball up until high school and I was on swim team from 8th through 12th grade.

3) Do you like watching them on TV and/or actually going to the games? I prefer going to games but I like watching some sports on tv...mostly baseball and soccer.

4) Do you simply tolerate them on your partner's behalf? Sometimes. ;)

5) Any particular ones you like or dislike? I don't care for basketball. I liked watching my college team play but that was more of an atmosphere thing rather than love of the game. I like watching college football over pro football.

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I played soccer, and then softball growing up, but I stopped when I started getting serious with flute (middle school). I loooooove baseball and am a huge Red Sox fan. I like watching them on TV, especially since I can't afford to go to a lot of games, and it's stressful getting home afterwards. But it's a very different experience, ballpark vs. home viewing. I tend to pay more attention to the game when I'm watching on TV.

J is also a Sox fan, although just a tad less rabid than I am.

I'll tolerate pro hockey and basketball (I'll watch if someone else wants to, I'll go to games on the rare occasion I'm invited). I don't even care a little bit about football. I don't like commercials, so you can bet I turn down Super Bowl party invitations because I'm going to be dead bored the whole time.

I am not super into soccer, but I love watching World Cup soccer.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • 1) Do you play them now? 

I'm a bocce baller ;)

I swam, was a cheerleader and played basketball, softball, soccer but at all different times in my life.

I prefer football on TV and hockey IRL.

Nope. I really enjoy them all on my own. 

I cannot do baseball. I used to like it a lot but after attending so many hockey games all fall and winter (H and I are season ticket holders), I just can't make the switch from fast-paced, action-packed to straight up boring.

I love football and hockey (obviously). Even if my team isn't playing, I'll watch those. 

• 1) Do you play them now? Oh goodness no, I am so uncoordinated.

2) Did you play any sports growing up? Nope.

3) Do you like watching them on TV and/or actually going to the games? Absolutely. I'm a huge football (NFL) and hockey (NCAA) fan, and I went to an MLB game last September.

4) Do you simply tolerate them on your partner's behalf? I'm a bigger sports fan than he is. He does the NFL with me, but I casually follow a lot more sports and I'm more into the NFL than he is.

5) Any particular ones you like or dislike? I don't care for basketball. Okay, I don't get basketball.

I really like football and hockey.

• PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

1) Do you play them now? 
    Nope, I'm quite the antithesis of what I was growing up as far as being active.  :(

Yes, started off young playing soccer, swimming, baseball/softball.  In high school I was on the swim team and soccer teams.  (was also in the marching band not that is a sport, but we had to go to all of the football games, which is where I learned about how football is played and I actually followed it somewhat).

BF and I go to a couple hockey games per season, I enjoy those.  We usually go to a baseball game or more per season, but I find it boring.  I didn't like going to football games because the couple times I went I froze my ass off.  I like watching hockey and football on TV.  I live in a city where (for now or in recent years) most of our teams are pretty big/well known, so there are a lot of women sports fans around.

Luckily the sports my BF watch habitually are ones that I don't mind watching.  Frankly, though, if he's not around to watch them with then I'm usually doing something else with my time.

I don't like basketball at all (and we have no city team anyway, thank goodness).  I mildly tolerate baseball (live, never TV), mainly as a social occasion rather than caring if they win or lose.  I've also always enjoyed playing soccer more than I like watching it.  Football and hockey are mainly the ones I watch and somewhat understand the rules of. 

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    ETA: @Pepperally If we're counting marching band...then I did marching band from 9th grade through college. Definitely how I learned about the rules of football too.

• BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

1) Do you play them now? I don't play any sports currently.

2) Did you play any sports growing up? I played basketball, soccer, softball, and cheerleading... I was best at softball

3) Do you like watching them on TV and/or actually going to the games? I love watching football on TV, I can watch Hockey on TV but prefer it IRL, and Baseball I really love going to games, but can't watch too much on TV... My bf loves golf and I mostly cannot handle watching that on TV unless it's the last few holes of a big tournament. 

4) Do you simply tolerate them on your partner's behalf? Definitely golf, and I barely tolerate it, I always complain when it's on.

5) Any particular ones you like or dislike? See above :) 

• phiraphira member
    Is there a consensus here as to whether or not golf is a sport?
    Anniversary
  • I'm very uncoordinated so no sports for me. I played soccer until 5th grade. I did marching band for high school (we marched upwards of 10-15 hrs per week outside of school. It was serious).

I love love love football and love baseball. I loved these before hubs came into my life. I have become a bit of an orioles fan since then though which is very contrary to my Yankees fanness. I can't like his ravens much cause they hate my colts.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • So I was just wondering about sports...

1) Do you play them now? 

Cycling - just for fun, not racing.  We play hacky sack at work, does that count??

No.  My mom has social anxiety and didn't want to take us to sporting events.  I also wasn't really into sports.

I liking going to Hockey games.  I don't understand it 100% (still learning the rules) but I like watching the refs get in the way and I always have a good time.

THIS!! ^^^  That's me ^^^^

I don't like boxing/fighting nor do I like NASCAR. 

Anniversary
  • phiraphira member
    I'm very uncoordinated so no sports for me. I played soccer until 5th grade. I did marching band for high school (we marched upwards of 10-15 hrs per week outside of school. It was serious). I love love love football and love baseball. I loved these before hubs came into my life. I have become a bit of an orioles fan since then though which is very contrary to my Yankees fanness. I can't like his ravens much cause they hate my colts.
    Os fan?! I'm curious how that came to be!
    Anniversary
  • @phira hubs was born in Baltimore sooo he is a lifer of orioles drama. So is his grandpa. When we lived in Virginia, we got MASN (the orioles/nationals network) and watched literally every game for like four years. So I really only watch the yanks when they're playing the orioles. Or if the orioles are off lol. So I guess I am an orioles fan if they're not playing the Yankees.

Either way I'm not a Red Sox fan ;) but I kinda want to watch the game tonight (we will probably switch back during commercials) cause I mean duh it's Yankees v Red Sox. That's classic!

My sister is in love with jeter. This is even more funny now that she's married (and he's still like 15 years older than her)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I love how many football + hockey fans there are around here!

Yes: running, triathlon (at times), golf

At different times, I played soccer, softball, volleyball, ultimate frisbee

I enjoy both. I like TV when it's a game I want to see replays of and hear the announcers. I like baseball in person more than on TV, but I can't really sit through all 9 innings. 

No, it's more like the other way around. He often jokes about the fact that I know more about sports than he does. I worked in sports for a long time, including being a sports broadcaster, so sports is my 'thing.'

I like soccer, football and college basketball. I greatly dislike (ok hate) NBA basketball.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

If you count CrossFit as a sport lol. H competes in it so I'm guessing he thinks it is. I run a lot and we like to play frisbee golf.

I think I played every sport there is growing up but my two main ones were competitive gymnastics and cheerleading. I was a gymnast for about 11 years and then I started doing competitive cheerleading which didn't stop until I got to college. I hope to coach some day, I miss it.

OMG if I see gymnastics or cheerleading on tv, I stop what I'm doing and watch!

Of course, I love watching sports with H. He likes tennis, baseball, frisbee, football, etc...It's something we like to do together.

I'm not a huge fan of golf but I'm starting to get into it. I don't really know a whole lot about it so I need to learn before i decide whether or not I hate it.

• 1) Do you play them now? I really enjoy golfing, but green fees here are expensive. I just found out that since our venue is on a golf course, I get 50% off green fees at my venue. Guess who's going to pick up their golf clubs from their parent's house Memorial Day weekend? This girl! I suck at golf so bad, but I love playing it. Let's see, I play billiards (suck at that too), darts and flip cup.

2) Did you play any sports growing up? I played soccer, softball, bowling, golf, basketball, floor hockey, field hockey

3) Do you like watching them on TV and/or actually going to the games?  I LOVE going to games, but they're so expensive. I'll watch football and hockey on TV, baseball I'm meh about, I'll watch the Red Sox towards the end of the season. I only like to watch college basketball and on TV. No, I do not like the Uconn Huskies.

4) Do you simply tolerate them on your partner's behalf? I think it's the other way around. I'm a bigger sports nut than he is. I almost left or first vacation early to fly to Vancouver to watch the Bruins play in the Stanley Cup in 2011.

5) Any particular ones you like or dislike? I don't like NBA basketball or soccer. I LOVE football and hockey, baseball is in the middle.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown

I do not play in any organized sports leagues. I will play some basketball if there are kids playing after school. 

I danced for many years (does that count? we had competitions lol) and I played softball for a few years. In high school I dropped softball for lacrosse and danced in the dance line for our high school's marching band, which proved to be the most demanding "sport" ever.

Unpopular opinion around here, but I love NBA. Love the action, long season and the pace of the game. We watch the games on TV and love going to the games. Thankfully, going to celtics games is not very expensive.

My FI is a huge sports nut, I just hang around for basketball season. He will watch football every week, but his #1 will always be celtics basketball.

Baseball is great when you are there at the game, but I cannot stand watching it on TV. Sorry Sox. I can definitely get into hockey, love the action!  I'm not a huge football or soccer fan. 

I wish I did. I thought about joining my work's softball team this year if they start a team up.

I played softball, baseball, track, gymnastic, and basketball.

I usually get bored watching sports on the TV but I love actually going to the games. FI and I just went to a minor league baseball games Monday night and had a blast.

The only sports FI cares about are baseball and a little bit of soccer and hockey.

I dislike football and golf.

Anniversary

I have played in adult softball & soccer leagues, but not recently, unfortunately. 

I played field hockey for seven years, and ran track & field all through high school. I still have my high school records in the triple jump & 4x100m relay. And yes, I'm still proud of that. haha.

Both. I'd much rather be at a game, but I'll watch on TV too.

Oh, HELL no. I work in sports, so there's none of that nonsense.

I hate the NBA. I love college basketball (GO UCONN), but the NBA is the WORST. Also, women's lacrosse. Terrible.  

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards