Wedding Etiquette Forum

We are adulterers so brother dropped out of wedding!

My brother informed my fiance tonight that he is not going to be a groomsman in our wedding (May 24) because we are adulterers and he can not stand up there as a witness BUT he can be a guest. (don't guest witness?) His reason:  we are adulterers because we have both been married before and divorced. If we marry then we will not enter God's kingdom. If he stands up there with us, he won't either. He also said that he is not judging or condemning us. Really?
He is leaving it up to us as to whether or not we want him to attend as a guest. If not, he will "understand."

I cant truly begin to sort my feelings out with any good rationale. The only things I know for sure are that I want to throw up; I'm extremely shocked and hurt; and I truly cant handle one more drama filled thing! I also want to take the loss thus far, $15,000. and elope. Screw it all! It's just all too much!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: We are adulterers so brother dropped out of wedding!

• BTW:  Love the Tinker Bell stuff
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I'm guessing his stated objection is to anyone remarrying post-divorce, not to an actual history of infidelity in the previous relationships of those involved, correct? If that's the case, while I know a number of conservative Christian groups would agree, I personally find that to be judgmental and questionable theology that ignores the human element. I don't see the moral difference between standing and sitting in support of your wedding.
    What he said to you sounds deeply hurtful. Before disinviting him (or cutting off contact), I would try having a talk with him. He should at least know how unkindly his words came across.
  • So your brother remember that whole sin part, but not the Christ dying for our sins and forgiveness part (kind of the most important part)? I'm really sorry. I would want to encourage him to spend more time in the Bible and to discuss his thoughts with a pastor or priest, but I have a feeling that wouldn't do much. I would have eloped too with all your family drama. 

That said, we can't really tell you which will feel better for you - having your misinformed, negative brother there? Or not having to deal with him being there, but potentially dealing with the fallout. 
  • thesummerskythesummersky member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    So your brother remember that whole sin part, but not the Christ dying for our sins and forgiveness part (kind of the most important part)? I'm really sorry. I would want to encourage him to spend more time in the Bible and to discuss his thoughts with a pastor or priest, but I have a feeling that wouldn't do much. I would have eloped too with all your family drama. 

That said, we can't really tell you which will feel better for you - having your misinformed, negative brother there? Or not having to deal with him being there, but potentially dealing with the fallout. 

**STUCK IN BOX**

It is sad how all too often, the gospel is forgotten but the laws that governed people before redemption aren't!

I would still invite him to the wedding, and accept that he has declined being in the wedding party. If he says no to being a guest, than he is declining and that's not on you. Are you a believer yourself? I'd pray for him.

Edited: Missed a word.
  • You might quote to your brother, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

I'm sorry he has been so hurtful to you.
  • AddieCake said:
    This is just now coming up? He didn't decline immediately based on theses convictions?

Exactly! Frankly, I'd tell him to stay home.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• edited April 2014
    AddieCake said:
    This is just now coming up? He didn't decline immediately based on theses convictions?
    Agreed! That was my first thought when reading this.... 

OP, I'm sorry he's acting this way. I hate it when people start acting "holier than thou"... one of my many issues with religious people (not all! just those types of religious ppl)

ETA: Realistically, I'd just be like okay, thanks for that.... and invite him anyway. Ideally, I'd probably be like, a) why is this coming up NOW, since you knew all this info before... and then b) rip him a new one with what adultery actually means & all those religious quotes from the bible and ask him to explain himself then. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • My response, "Brother, I am sorry you feel that way.  You will be missed at the wedding."

I don't care if he is your brother or not but he does not deserve to be invited to your wedding.  He is judging you.  He is also grossly wrong about the definition of adultery.  Maybe you should buy him a dictionary and a bible and tell him to read up.

• My response, "Brother, I am sorry you feel that way.  You will be missed at the wedding."

I don't care if he is your brother or not but he does not deserve to be invited to your wedding.  He is judging you.  He is also grossly wrong about the definition of adultery.  Maybe you should buy him a dictionary and a bible and tell him to read up.
    I recommend highlighting the words "Adultery" "Judgmental" "Condemn" and "Estranged"

Anniversary
  • SammiNJonniSammiNJonni member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2014
    CMGragain said:
    Your brother is sadly misinformed.  Adultery means people who have a sexual liason outside of an existing marriage. (Cheating.)  It does not mean premarital sex.
    It sounds like your brother is being influenced by other people.  This must be very hurtful to you.  I am so sorry.  Hopefully, he will eventually grow away from this very judgmental opinion.  Didn't Jesus say, "Judge not, lest ye be judged"?
    I would let it go.  He may come to truly regret his hurtful actions.  If you keep the door open, you may reconcile at a later time.
    This is NOT what being a Christian is about!  How very sad.

PS.  Is your brother Catholic?  If he is, perhaps a priest could talk to him.
    He is saying they are adulterers due to divorce not premarital sex. Churches do not recognize divorce so subsequent marraiges are cheating on the first spouse in their eyes.

OP are you catholic? Is an annulment of the first marriage possible?

ETA: the annulment is only a suggestion for OP if that is a route she wants to follow. I can see how it can be taken out of context that she should do this for her brother. That is not what I meant. FTR I was raised catholic am divorced and have not had an annulment because neither the first nor current wedding will be in a church. I don't practice my faith.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragain said:
    Your brother is sadly misinformed.  Adultery means people who have a sexual liason outside of an existing marriage. (Cheating.)  It does not mean premarital sex.
    It sounds like your brother is being influenced by other people.  This must be very hurtful to you.  I am so sorry.  Hopefully, he will eventually grow away from this very judgmental opinion.  Didn't Jesus say, "Judge not, lest ye be judged"?
    I would let it go.  He may come to truly regret his hurtful actions.  If you keep the door open, you may reconcile at a later time.

He is saying they are adulterers due to divorce not premarital sex. Churches do not recognize divorce so subsequent marraiges are cheating on the first spouse in their eyes.

OP should not have to get an annulment because her brother is being an ass and passing judgement on her and her upcoming marriage.
    You are absolutely right she should not do it for her brother. It was just a suggestion if she wanted to look into it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2014
    PDKH said:
    So your brother remember that whole sin part, but not the Christ dying for our sins and forgiveness part (kind of the most important part)? I'm really sorry. I would want to encourage him to spend more time in the Bible and to discuss his thoughts with a pastor or priest, but I have a feeling that wouldn't do much. I would have eloped too with all your family drama. 

This - coupled with the question regarding why he waited until now to put you in this position.

I would write him a letter using some of what she said above and make his own decision about whether he can handle witnessing as a guest. That's not on you.

I also wouldn't be inviting him to anything else related to the and decide after the weddinghow I'm going to handle my relationship with him. No need to deal with it now. You can put space in between this. I probably would not speak to my brother again until he apologized because my marriage is a pretty massive part of my life that I want supported by my family and friends and if they can't handle that, I don't feel like they should be part of my life.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What the what? 

Your brother sounds like an asshole. If he doesn't agree with decisions you've made, that's his business, but this is a dick move. 
  • CMGragain said:

ETA: the annulment is only a suggestion for OP if that is a route she wants to follow. I can see how it can be taken out of context that she should do this for her brother. That is not what I meant. FTR I was raised catholic am divorced and have not had an annulment because neither the first nor current wedding will be in a church. I don't practice my faith.

OP is not Catholic, from what I remember. She is marrying a man who is a minister of another Christian faith. While Catholics require an annulment for a former marriage, many other Christian sects recognize divorce. 
  • daria24 said:
    Honestly with all the drama surrounding your wedding, I would have eloped a long time ago. Your brother is being a judgemental dipshit (didn't Jesus say "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"?) but only you can decide what would be worse: seeing your brother there at your wedding, knowing how he feels. Or telling him to stay home and deal with any questions/comments/gossiping from family.
    ^This.  Your brother is being a hypocritical, self righteous ass.  And I'm sorry :/

Let him step down, and invite him to the wedding, but don't put up with any of his pretentious preaching.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I am also curious to why this is happening one month before the wedding? Did something happen that is causing him to act this way?

When I was in high school I had a BF that I dated for about a year. I would go to the after school CCD teen group with him and he attended my (Jewish) confirmation. We were always very open with our beliefs which did run parallel. Then that summer he went away to his Christian camp he went to every year and came back and broke up with me, saying that because I didn't believe in Jesus I was going to hell and he just couldn't bare the thought of that and could no longer be with me. It was the influences of that camp that made him act that way (years later we are still friends and he is now an atheist….)

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards