Catholic Weddings
Options

Tough Date? Octave of Easter/Divine Mercy Sunday

We want to be married on the 2-year anniversary of our first date.  In 2015, this puts it on Divine Mercy Sunday/ the Easter Octave.  BUT we also want it to be an evening wedding, so it would be 7 p.m. (when our date started). We're still waiting to meet with our priest, but I was curious if this would be a MASSIVE problem.  I know the readings can't be changed (which I don't mind, since this will allow others to experience more of the gospel).

Re: Tough Date? Octave of Easter/Divine Mercy Sunday

• Options
    I'm not certain that its forbidden, however there are several issues with it. My previous pastor would not allow "private" masses on Sundays (its not really private, but that's the gist) because Sunday is a day for worship with the community.

Also, keep in mind that Sundays are exhausting for priests. There is also a canonical restriction on how many masses a priest can do and often times they go over their limit for absolute necessity just to do the regular Sunday masses. 

Occasionally some parishes have Sunday evening masses too, which would definitely be a scheduling problem. 
  • Options
    I know one of my local parishes encourages Sunday evening weddings (there's a note in the newsletter about it) because they have so many Saturday weddings and Sunday regular masses are over by 1. It's worth asking, but I would do so in a way that avoids suggesting that getting married on a cute date matters more than having the church wedding (not suggesting you think this, just make sure to use your words carefully).
  • Options
    You don't have to use the Sunday readings, even if your wedding is on a Sunday. Your wedding is not a regularly scheduled liturgical celebration for your parish community.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Sundays are solemnities-- which normally means that the specific readings are necessary. 
  • Options
    Agapecarrie, not after the slate of Sunday masses is completed. The OP plans to have her wedding at 7pm. Sunday readings not required.
  • Options
    You won't have a problem because it's inside the octave. We were married the Saturday after Easter. You may have a problem because it's Sunday, but that's specific to you our parish.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Agapecarrie, not after the slate of Sunday masses is completed. The OP plans to have her wedding at 7pm. Sunday readings not required.
    who are you? I don't think you're correct... (and if you are, your logic is terrible- the "slate of Sunday masses being completed" would have nothing to do with why wedding readings could be done on a Sunday...)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    lalaith, in a Catholic parish, Sunday masses begin after 4pm on Saturday and generally go through 1pm Sunday. Obviously there are exceptions, but usually a parish's Sunday celebrations are done by 5pm on Sunday. A wedding that happens at 7pm is clearly not expected to be a Sunday liturgy where one would expect to hear the usual Sunday readings.
  • Options
    Irishpirate, the Saturday anticipatory mass is something different than Sunday solemnities. Saturday anticipatory mass practice is from the Jewish sabbath practice of "sundown" and I believe also has to do with the timing of Liturgy of the Hours.

Sunday evening masses are extremely common here-- many Lifeteen masses begin at 6. College campus ministries can start as late as 10 PM. 

Having a mass at 7 PM is not "clearly not expected to be a Sunday Liturgy". The anticipation mass doesn't transfer every day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards