Attire & Accessories Forum

Short or long bridesmaid/MOH dresses?

How did you ladies choose whether your MOH/Bridesmaids would wear long or short dresses?

Did you let them choose the ones that they wanted?  Did you get their opinions first?  Did you go for what went the the style of your wedding/wedding dress? or the season in which you got married?

I am having trouble figuring out whether I want a long or short dress for my MOH(I am only having one girl).

So ladies, how did you decide? <3

Re: Short or long bridesmaid/MOH dresses?

• What is the weather usually like in the season and location your wedding is going to be?  Does your MOH have a preference or opinion?
  • I think a lot of it depends on how formal your wedding will be, the venue, and the budget of your BM. 
  • I let them all choose their own style cocktail length dresses. No differentiation on MOH from the rest. She knows who she is. Cocktail length fit the overall "look" a little better. They're a peau de soie silk.

• Since I just have my MOH/sister I just said "Find a dress you like."  She went with a short one, as she didn't like the way long ones hung on her body.
  • The dress they both liked ended up being a short one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks ladies, I think I am going to let my MOH choose which one she likes. We have pretty much the same opinion so that also helps lol.

• I gave my bridesmaids a choice.  I imagined my girls would want to wear short dresses, but they all actually said they'd prefer longer.  Our wedding is in November and pictures will be outside, so they thought long dresses would be warmer.  Plus, they all said they felt more elegant / mature in the long dresses. 
  • Since my dress is short, we're opting for dressing the ladies in shorter dresses. I told them knee-ish length and black. That's it, they pick their own from there. One is super happy because now she gets to wear the dress she had to buy for another wedding a second time. The other two are shopping around.

We aren't doing a MOH or BM or anything along those lines. We each have three people and they're all equally important. And I didn't want to pick between my three and neither did FI.
  • I let mine pick.  Since the wedding is August 23 and outside, I assumed they would pick short dresses.  Nope!  They all opted for long dresses because they felt more comfortable in them.  I am happy because they are happy, and they all look beautiful.
  • Ditto all PPs.  

For example, my ceremony venue is my church.  It will be September 13th (with the possibility of being hot & humid OR a bit chilly).  It will be a formal wedding.   
    After talking it over with my MOH / BMs, we decided upon short or tea-length dresses for them, all in the same color, but they each chose their own style of dress.

Please also keep in mind the type of fabric they'll be wearing!  Satin will not be kind in hot weather... chiffon would be.  Chiffon in winter, on the other hand, will get drafty...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • I let them decide what length they wanted.
  • My wedding was in early November in northern Ohio, so for my girls, long was a good option for warmth. Plus the girls were up for it because they were like how often does a girl get a chance to get dressed up in a full length dress
  • it was a June wedding so went with short, but we also all went together to shop and was open to long--they just all gravitated to short as well. Long dresses (IMO) are for winter weddings or very formal black tie weddings.  If my bridesmaids wanted long dresses though I would have been fine with it.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards