Wedding Reception Forum
Options

I'm doing my own music-no DJ!-Discussion is cancelled

Re: I'm doing my own music-no DJ!-Discussion is cancelled

• Options
    I have decided that I'm going to do my own music on an ipod. It will save us money, I already have a ton of great music and I personally dont like DJ's that much. I dont want my reception to feel like every other wedding I have been to. This is not a typical wedding and reception. We are getting married during a private ceremony and having intimate reception with family/friends on a later date. It is a casual reception and we wont be doing many of the traditional activities such as first dance and garter, etc. My venue has speakers throughout inside and outside. Their music system is great.
    I have a wedding planner that is going to help with music and Im also designating a close family member to help out.
    Is anyone else doing this? How are you organizing your music and any announcements that need to be made?
    Im not debating weather to get a DJ so I appreciate replies back with people that are actually also going to be doing your own music or have attended a wedding that was done this way. Was it bad? If so, why?

You should never make a friend or family member "work" at your wedding.  Sure, you save money.....but they don't get to enjoy your wedding fully.   If I were them, I'd be a little ticked off if I saw you spent money on a wedding planner but were too cheap to pay a professional for the music and asked me to do it. 
  • Options
    My family is great and wants to help out. It's not work for them. Thanks for the nice advice!
  • Options
    Wow, what was I thinking when I thought I could get actual advice here. Seems like everyone wants to post unsolicited opinions rather than actually answer the questions. How sad! Was looking forward to hearing some ideas. Taking this post down now.
  • Options
    Wow, what was I thinking when I thought I could get actual advice here. Seems like everyone wants to post unsolicited opinions rather than actually answer the questions. How sad! Was looking forward to hearing some ideas. Taking this post down now.
    Not sure what the point is of taking the post down.  All it does is draw more attention to it.  And you were quoted, so everyone can still see what you wrote!

As for your family wanting to help, they are probably too nice to say no.  Don't put them in that position in the first place.  

Here's an idea.  Cut elsewhere in your budget so you can afford to hire someone to do the music.  If you can't afford to hire someone, just do without.  There.  That's my advice!

And finally, when you post on a public message board, you will get all kinds of responses.  You cannot dictate the types of responses you get back.  If you can't handle it (which by the post deletion looks to be the case!), then this is not the right forum for you.
  • Options
    You don't get to close the discussion down, OP. 

• Options
    Wow. Dude. One reply. 

Anyway, honestly, I don't see why you need announcements. It's a casual reception without first dances and tosses? What do you even need to announce?

Anniversary
  • Options

Who is "everyone?" You only recieved ONE reply.
  • Options
    I don't how one reply translates to everyone but whatever.

Anyway, I'm not hiring a dj either. We're just going to make a play list (we've already started and it is a lot of fun) and let it play during the reception. I'm paying my cousin (he asked for some random wedding jobs to make some extra money) to make the first dance announcement, he is also going to help set up and some random other things. I am going to pay him to do it though. 
  • Options
    Umm, okay. There was a little bit of a freak out here, but whatever, I guess.

I'm not hiring a DJ either as we are having a small, intimate wedding that wouldn't justify the cost of a DJ so we're just doing the iPod thing with a playlist to just let it run for however long. We're not really planning on dancing so no need for us to stop the playlist and locate all the songs that we'd dance to either. As for announcements like cake-cutting and toasts, someone in the wedding party would cut the music, whomever is giving a toast will do the glass clinking thing to start according to my Dad, and either my Dad or one of the wedding party who offered (without being asked) will make announcements for cake cutting and...well...I don't know what else yet since we're not doing any of the dancing or the garter thing...I guess the bouquet toss? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JFC
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I also don't understand how the OP first thanked Joan for the response and then posted again stating that everyone is mean.  Um, what?

• Options
    One day I was watching FI's little sister and she wanted to have yet another cookie but I told her no she needed to eat lunch first them we could cookie it up. She ran off to her room screaming "EVERYONE IS SO MEAN AND I HATE EVERYONE!!!", she is 6. For some reason this made me think of that moment. 

That being said. Here's so information on using Spotify as your wedding DJ: http://offbeatbride.com/2013/01/spotify-at-wedding

http://offbeatbride.com/tag/ipod And this tag is all about people who used iPods for their DJs at their weddings and what did and did not work for them.

We're opting to hire someone, but I think using an iPod/MP3 player is awesome idea as well.
  • Options
    The discussion is canceled? We finally found the person who runs the Internet!
    IDK, I think @JoanE2012 must be the boss because her ONE REPLY constituted "everyone." JoanE is all-knowing.
    From now on, all discussions will be closed after I reply.  :D
    Hell yeah! Anything after you is just piling on.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards