Wedding Reception Forum

Help me save my Mason Jars

Disclaimer - I am not a pinterest junkie. I liked Mason Jars and burlap before it was a thing.

Now I'm seeing millions of pictures everywhere, I can not stand to look at it. The mason jars I still like, I just want my own thing to separate it from the other million mason jar centerpieces out there.

The blue ones with twine, I still like. These will line the aisles with flowers inside of course.

The clear ones are for reception tables. I'm going to take the ribbon/lace/burlap off. Any ideas of other ways I can dress them up that won't look so pinterest-esque? My main color is yellow, (but the flowers are mixed colors) so I was considering the lemon slices in the jar.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. And I do feel like they need something, whether in the jar or outside the jar. Otherwise I think they're too plain.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help me save my Mason Jars

• You could wrap some fancy paper around them; examples:
    Romantic-wedding-centerpieces-mason-jars.full
    Or ribbon; examples:
    Twine or something with a pine-cone "flower":
    Another way of filling them with lemons:
    Glue fake flowers or something onto them:
    Mason Jar Flowers
    Paint them:

• tortoisebridetortoisebride member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I am super sick of looking at mason jars BUT I have to say, I really like the lemon one you posted. It's colorful and will smell nice and it's not "LOOK HOW RUSTIC I AM" so much as "Hey here's a simple vase." Definitely ax the twine, gingham, burlap-lace options. Still use the blue ones to line your aisle if you want but leave off the twine if you want to avoid cliches. Maybe fill them with river rocks or something if you don't want them empty?
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the suggestions. The jars will all have flowers (I'm ordering from 50 flowers and arranging myself) but I still wanted something either in the jar or on the jar because I felt they were too plain without.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually like the look of mason jars. Growing up my grandma would save her jars from just about anything and reuse them to plan herbs, use as vases, back up drinking glasses, storing left overs, basically whatever she need them for. She thought throwing them out was just plain wasteful. 

I really just like them plain without anything stuck on or tied around them. Just letting the mason jars be mason jars.
  • MagicInk said:
    I actually like the look of mason jars. Growing up my grandma would save her jars from just about anything and reuse them to plan herbs, use as vases, back up drinking glasses, storing left overs, basically whatever she need them for. She thought throwing them out was just plain wasteful. 

I really just like them plain without anything stuck on or tied around them. Just letting the mason jars be mason jars.
    This x 1000. 
    There is a lot of Mason jar abuse going on out there. The happy charm of a mason jar is pure, unpretentious, functional simplicity. Once they're all gussied up, they become über-pinterested. Some things just don't need improvement.
  • @doeydo - Just gotta say......you always take the time to post great examples for people.  I'm not into the whole mason jar fad, but those were pretty.
  • Agree with Joan, thank you so much @doeydo for the visual examples. I like the painted ones the best besides the lemons.

@magicink and @ohannabelle I can appreciate your opinion but I really don't want them plain. I would feel this way if they were regular cylinder vases as well. I want something in or around them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Thank you, JoanE2012.  You're welcome Angusaur. :)  I found some more ideas.
    Painted with a quote:
    things brides love Mason Jar wedding reception decor centerpieces romantic light lilca
    Covered in glitter (the middle one):
    things brides love Mason Jar wedding reception decor centerpieces pink glitter
    Doilies:
    things brides love Mason Jar wedding reception decor centerpieces doily adorned
  • I love all 3 of those, thank you! I especially love the painted quote one, but that is something I would find really hard to DIY. I can't write that nice even on paper, nonetheless painted on a jar. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really like the lemon one... feel like that's more reminiscent of the intended use of a jar; it's a good homage. I like the look of the gingham ribbon one above, but not the gingham itself. Maybe a narrow lace ribbon tied on? I think the ribbon/bow around the neck look much better/less overdone than the band around the center. And the wide band hides the shape and logos too much and sort of defeats the purpose of using the jars at all, IMO.

I really, really, REALLY hate the glitter ones. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards