Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding gift with no name

Hello there- long time lurker, first time poster.  I have a small problem but I'm not sure how to solve it without possibly being rude.  Several of our guests chose to bring gifts or cards to the wedding and leave them on a gift table.  One of those gifts did not have a name anywhere on it or a card or any other identifying information.

How do I find out who gave us this present?  I have a spreadsheet listing the guests and their gifts so we can send out the Thank You notes and there are lots of people that it could be.  Do I contact any of our guests?  Do I make a general announcement somewhere that we have a gift without a name so please don't take offense if you don't receive a Thank You note?  Both of these options seem tacky but I'm not sure what is correct.

Please help me if you can.  Thank you!

Re: Wedding gift with no name

• Is this a physical gift? If they're from your registry, can you contact the store where it was purchased and see if they can tell you who bought it?

My other suggestion is to narrow down the list and then have someone who's close to them mention in passing, 'adverb and her DH got a lovely Ming vase for their wedding but it had no card, so they don't know who to write the TY note to. It's such a shame; they want to be appreciative. Have you tried the bean dip?'

That might prompt someone to say, 'Oh, we got them X!'
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • It is a physical gift but not on our registry.  

I think that's a good suggestion to spread the word in a very low-key way.  There is a particular group of friends who are the most likely candidates at this point.  Thank you for responding so quickly :)
  • My friend posted a photo of a gift they got on facebook and said "We absolutely love our new toaster! But sadly, there was no tag. Does anyone know who we should be thanking?" and found the person in about an hour.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Good luck!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards