Chit Chat

Students only hurt themselves

Apparently undergrads don't value class time. Less than half attendance for one of the greatest lecturers at the school.

And with the midterm next week, I wonder how students will do. 

I stayed up last night and spent 4 hours working on my 1 hour review session. No one is here. Seriously. No one.  I give give more minutes. If no one is here by 5:10 or so, I'm leaving and office hours are going to be full this week. 

Why pay to not learn? Especially at a high level private school? smh. I would have killed for these teachers in undergrad.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Students only hurt themselves

• And this is why I didn't go to college..because I KNEW that was the kind of student I would be and I didn't want to waste the money.
    Anniversary
  • And this is why I didn't go to college..because I KNEW that was the kind of student I would be and I didn't want to waste the money.
    That is smarter than these students!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I still see this even at my high-ranked private law school.  If you've followed my posts about Partner From Hell, you know what I mean.  I calculated I spent $14,000 in tuition money on our law clinic, and she just lollygagged the whole time.  What a waste.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I still see this even at my high-ranked private law school.  If you've followed my posts about Partner From Hell, you know what I mean.  I calculated I spent $14,000 in tuition money on our law clinic, and she just lollygagged the whole time.  What a waste.
    I have been following. I actually wanted to do law school for a long time but decided I wasn't cut out for it and didn't want to do 4 more years of school.  And your partner is pathetic and I hope she fails!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I have been following. I actually wanted to do law school for a long time but decided I wasn't cut out for it and didn't want to do 4 more years of school.  And your partner is pathetic and I hope she fails!
    Gathering from recent meetings with the professor, I'm pretty sure they will pass her.  It just makes my blood boil.

She did shape up a little bit last week though and actually helped on our class presentation.  However, she did nothing for the work that really mattered (client presentation) and pretty much stomped all over our client meeting by having no clue what was going on.  Oh, and her thank you cards to the profs had dogs in scuba gear on them, which she signed in pink pen.

It was like, really?  This whole semester, both the prof and I have been trying to teach you about professionalism.  So your answer to that is silly dog pictures and a pink gel pen?  SMH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Gathering from recent meetings with the professor, I'm pretty sure they will pass her.  It just makes my blood boil.

She did shape up a little bit last week though and actually helped on our class presentation.  However, she did nothing for the work that really mattered (client presentation) and pretty much stomped all over our client meeting by having no clue what was going on.  Oh, and her thank you cards to the profs had dogs in scuba gear on them, which she signed in pink pen.

It was like, really?  This whole semester, both the prof and I have been trying to teach you about professionalism.  So your answer to that is silly dog pictures and a pink gel pen?  SMH.
    There is only one professor that would get a card like that and I've known him for a long time and he is eccentric (he writes french ballets in his spare time). Every other professor gets my professional thank you with everything written in cursive. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pinkcow13 said:
    It's probably because their parents are paying for them to attend college, so they don't see the value. It's a lot different when you're the one paying tuition each semester!
    Unfortunately that is probably true (Undergrads at Stanford).
    I never paid for my school but I was a scholarship kid and mom and dad weren't stepping up if I lost my scholarships

Wedding Countdown Ticker

There is only one professor that would get a card like that and I've known him for a long time and he is eccentric (he writes french ballets in his spare time). Every other professor gets my professional thank you with everything written in cursive. 
    Also, that would piss me off too. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it depends on motivation.

I went to all of my classes as an undergrad because my parents paid for my school and I felt like I owed it to them. I paid for business school myself (well, with loans) and I went to all of my classes because I knew the economic cost of the classes and felt the huge opportunity cost of missing them.

I knew my parents sacrificed for my school so I took it seriously. I did know people who thought college was 4 years of fun due to them by their parents. Those people never took class seriously.

I once broke up with a guy largely because of his attitude on this. He went back to college in his late 20s and felt that the school should be about his convenience since he was a paying customer. The lack of respect for the institution pissed me off endlessly. Shockingly, he never finished...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It doesn't get any better in med school either. We're about to graduate (next FRIDAY!). Our last class is a review course to get us ready for the start of residency this summer. Attendance is required in order to graduate. Yesterday, we had maybe half of the class there. Last Friday we had less than that. The first day of the this course they had to send an email reminding everyone that it was required and to stop planning trips and whatnot during the course and then asking for an exception. It's ridiculous. 
    Anniversary
  • pinkcow13 said:
    It's probably because their parents are paying for them to attend college, so they don't see the value. It's a lot different when you're the one paying tuition each semester!
    I paid for all of my schooling (without loans)  you bet your sweet ass I never missed class.  I worked too hard to pay for everything.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also hate the assumption that students don't care because their parents pay.  My parents paid for both my undergrad and law school.  I worked hard and got all the scholarships I could for both to contribute.  I graduated summa cum laude in undergrad (with a double major and a minor, and I did it in 3 years) and magna cum laude in law school.  Clearly, I cared about my education.

I also skipped class sometimes (and for some classes often), especially in undergrad.  I didn't need to go to class to understand the work and get straight A's.  I broke the curve for the rest of the students in classes I skipped at least once a week.  I even had a couple classes where the professor told me not to bother coming for a couple weeks because they were going to be reviewing things that I already understood. 

Skipping class doesn't always mean the student doesn't value their education.  I skipped classes because they were a waste of my time and I wasn't going to get anything out of being there.
  • I also hate the assumption that students don't care because their parents pay.  My parents paid for both my undergrad and law school.  I worked hard and got all the scholarships I could for both to contribute.  I graduated summa cum laude in undergrad (with a double major and a minor, and I did it in 3 years) and magna cum laude in law school.  Clearly, I cared about my education.

I also skipped class sometimes (and for some classes often), especially in undergrad.  I didn't need to go to class to understand the work and get straight A's.  I broke the curve for the rest of the students in classes I skipped at least once a week.  I even had a couple classes where the professor told me not to bother coming for a couple weeks because they were going to be reviewing things that I already understood. 

Skipping class doesn't always mean the student doesn't value their education.  I skipped classes because they were a waste of my time and I wasn't going to get anything out of being there.
    That would be a great statement if these students were able to do the homework. But with the poor performance on homework, I'm actually excited to see how they perform on the test.  This is a class they really should be attending. It is being taught differently than most textbooks and there is a lot of new data for these students. Just because they get an A or B doesn't actually mean they know the material well enough to use it in the real world.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My parents are paying for my schooling and I'm extremely grateful. I'm able to use my part time job to build up my savings and not have to worry about debt when I graduate.  Trust me, if I wasn't making good grades they would stop paying.  So I'm definitely one of those people who don't fit the stereotype of kids majoring in partying!
  • I paid for my classes (community college, so they weren't very pricey) on my own, and once when I emailed the teacher inquiring about if I was able to make up a final exam (food poisoning), she came back and very snootily told me that I should value what my parents spend money on.

It was quite rude.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards