Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Readings

Who does scripture readings at weddings? Is it usually people in the wedding party, or could it be anyone? We're having a somewhat traditional, Christian ceremony.

Also, if you had scripture read at your wedding, which verses did you use?

Re: Readings

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You can ask a loved one to be a reader and it is seen as an honour.  They would come up to the front during the ceremony and read it then sit back down.  Or, your officiant could read the scriptures for you.
  •  We also had a traditional Christian ceremony, & we had my grandparents do one reading, and my youngest brother do another. I believe my grandparents read The Prayers of the People, and my brother read 1 Corinthians. Both my grandparents and brother came to the rehearsal, and they had them go through when they were supposed to go up to read. I would recommend doing this as well, as it made it a little easier on them to know what to expect. :)

*J
  • Ditto PPs - we're having a Catholic Mass, which means we had to pick 2 readings (1 Old Testament + 1 New Testament) and the Gospel.  We're asking people from the wedding party to read, and my mom will be reading the petitions (Prayers of the Faithful).  
    It could be anybody who reads, but FI and I figured it would be easier to have someone from the wedding party read (and to have one or two of them read would be more meaningful to us).  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • We had a Catholic Mass, so there were three readings -- the First Reading, the Second Reading, and the Gospel reading.

One of our friends did the first reading (Book of Sirach, 26:1-4; 13-16). one of my closest cousins did the second reading (First Epistle of John, 4:7-12), and then the priest read the Gospel (Matthew 19:3-6).

It's an honour to be asked to read at a wedding, so it can be anyone you want -- someone in the WP, someone you wanted to honour but didn't want to put in the WP for whatever reason.

We made sure to ask Catholics to do the readings only because they would be familiar with the Mass in a way Protestants wouldn't be, and we weren't having a rehearsal.

Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • A rehearsal isn't doable for us since we're renting a cabin that's usually a vacation rental. It's going to be a pretty casual affair though, and I think we can still run through it at the restaurant our welcome dinner is at. Thanks for all of the input!
  • We had a Christian ceremony. My sister (also my MOH) did the first reading, a family friend of my husband's who is also a nun did a Bible reading.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't remember what we had read. His dad did one reading and his grandpa did the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards