Wedding Etiquette Forum

Head table - not including SOs?

I've been seeing all of the other posts here saying that it's very rude to have the WP sit separately from their dates; however, someone on another site suggested seating just the WP at the head table for dinner, but leaving extra seats at the tables with their SO.  That way, once the meal and all of the other "obligations" are done, they are free to sit where they are comfortable.  What are your opinions? 

Re: Head table - not including SOs?

• rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    Nope. Nope. Nope.

Would you want to be separated from your then spouse for part of the reception just for appearances? I didn't think so.

Your options are:
    Sweetheart table for just you two.
    Head table w/ just you two, BM + SO, and MOH +SO.
    Head table with all of wedding party plus SO's/plus 1's.
    Kings table with all of wedding party plus their guests, but positioned on all sides of the table instead of just 1
    Regular table with family/friends
    Anniversary
  • and this is why we are doing a sweetheart table. BP can sit with their dates/families...
    Anniversary
  • You have lots of choices, but whatever you do make sure the bridal party and their significant others can sit together. It is just the right thing to do, and makes the evening way more enjoyable for everyone involved.

• The dinner portion is when the bridal party should be sitting with their SOs.
    Their only obligations are during the ceremony and maybe taking some pictures. After that, there are no other "obligations."
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We sat at an 8 person rounder just like the rest our guests. It included DH and I, MOH and her FI, BM and his wife, my two bridesmaids (they were 13, they didn't get to bring dates). The flower girls and ring bearer sat with their parents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • crackktheskyycrackktheskyy member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Just.....why?

When I am at a wedding, whether in the WP or not, I'd like to enjoy my meal with my FI.

I don't even like head tables because the only people you talk to are the two people on either side of you. If you have to do a head table, please include your WP's SOs. 

edited for clarity.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Whatever you do, don't separate people from their SOs-not even the ones in your WP.  Either seat everyone at your table, a table of their own, or separately throughout the venue, but keep them together.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You could stack the head tables so they aren't as long.  Example:
    Or separate the tables a bit.  Example:
    Down The Aisle Head Table Or Sweetheart Table?
  • Keep people with their SOs.  We did a sweetheart table and had the bridal party and their dates at the two tables flanking us.  Technically that's just a sweetheart and not a "king" since the tables weren't touching or anything, but having our BP right next to us made me feel like it was still kind of head table-ish.
  • This is a terrible idea.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • PDKH Thank you for posting those pictures!!! We weren't thrilled with a sweetheart table (meh we eat dinner together all the time), but we really hated traditional head tables. A king's table looks like it could really work for us! And I like it sitting in the middle of all the other tables. So it's like hey come and chat with us if you'd like and less watch all of us dine on food like I feel traditional head tables are.
  • MagicInk said:
    PDKH Thank you for posting those pictures!!! We weren't thrilled with a sweetheart table (meh we eat dinner together all the time), but we really hated traditional head tables. A king's table looks like it could really work for us! And I like it sitting in the middle of all the other tables. So it's like hey come and chat with us if you'd like and less watch all of us dine on food like I feel traditional head tables are.
    Yep! Our fantastic caterer pitched this idea to us, and we were sold. It's the best of both worlds for us - head tablish without being on display and dates/SOs comfortably included. 

The only thing we're trying to logistically figure is toasts, but I figure we can just have them stand near us and hope they don't keep their backs to half the crowd the whole time. 
  • PDKH said:
    MagicInk said:
    PDKH Thank you for posting those pictures!!! We weren't thrilled with a sweetheart table (meh we eat dinner together all the time), but we really hated traditional head tables. A king's table looks like it could really work for us! And I like it sitting in the middle of all the other tables. So it's like hey come and chat with us if you'd like and less watch all of us dine on food like I feel traditional head tables are.
    Yep! Our fantastic caterer pitched this idea to us, and we were sold. It's the best of both worlds for us - head tablish without being on display and dates/SOs comfortably included. 

The only thing we're trying to logistically figure is toasts, but I figure we can just have them stand near us and hope they don't keep their backs to half the crowd the whole time. 
    Our venue has a little stage type...area thing. We're thinking of having the toasters (toast givers?) get up there. 
  • MagicInk said:
    Seconded. I love this idea of a king's table. I've never heard of it. We were going to do a sweetheart table (even though I don't really like them) but this is a million times better! I also like being in the mix with other tables. I can't stand the thought of eating in front of a crowd of people!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• This just doesn't make any sense, because head tables don't make any sense. Why does the wedding party need to be on display while they're eating? They're not props.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2014
    stef42188 said:

I've been seeing all of the other posts here saying that it's very rude to have the WP sit separately from their dates; however, someone on another site suggested seating just the WP at the head table for dinner, but leaving extra seats at the tables with their SO.  That way, once the meal and all of the other "obligations" are done, they are free to sit where they are comfortable.  What are your opinions? 

Please don't do this. FI was a GM in a friend's wedding where there was a head table, and I was put at a table with a bunch of the other guy friends that were not included in the wedding party. One of them ended up eating my steak because he thought I was done with it when I got up to get another drink :( 

FI and I were sad that we could not have dinner together, and this particular bride sent strong emails before the wedding saying "please inform your dates that you will not be seeing them the day of the wedding until after dinner". It really wasn't nice. The snarky bitch in me is tempted to send an email before our wedding (her H is one of FI's GM) saying "don't worry, you WILL be able to see and sit with your SO during the day of the wedding"

But I won't do that. 

I applaud that you're not going to do to your guests what she did to you, although I definitely understand the temptation!
  • stef42188 said:

Please don't do this. FI was a GM in a friend's wedding where there was a head table, and I was put at a table with a bunch of the other guy friends that were not included in the wedding party. One of them ended up eating my steak because he thought I was done with it when I got up to get another drink :( 

FI and I were sad that we could not have dinner together, and this particular bride sent strong emails before the wedding saying "please inform your dates that you will not be seeing them the day of the wedding until after dinner". It really wasn't nice. The snarky bitch in me is tempted to send an email before our wedding (her H is one of FI's GM) saying "don't worry, you WILL be able to see and sit with your SO during the day of the wedding"

But I won't do that. 

Wait, WTF? Who does that??

Also, that bride sounds like a peach. 'Please inform your dates that you won't be seeing them until after dinner.'

I guess at least you got to bring your dates? There's a thread on another board where the WP doesn't get to bring dates unless they're engaged or married.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I've been seeing all of the other posts here saying that it's very rude to have the WP sit separately from their dates; however, someone on another site suggested seating just the WP at the head table for dinner, but leaving extra seats at the tables with their SO.  That way, once the meal and all of the other "obligations" are done, they are free to sit where they are comfortable.  What are your opinions? 

That person is wrong and overcomplicating the issue, which has been discussed to death here.  

Seat them together, wherever.  Do not split up couples.  It's super easy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, your wedding party shouldn't have any "obligations" once the ceremony and photos are done.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • stef42188 said:

But I won't do that. 

Wait, WTF? Who does that??

Also, that bride sounds like a peach. 'Please inform your dates that you won't be seeing them until after dinner.'

I guess at least you got to bring your dates? There's a thread on another board where the WP doesn't get to bring dates unless they're engaged or married.
    Yep, her emails were forwarded onto significant others and joked about. Everyone should be aware that their level of BSC WILL be mocked at behind their back. It's just best to be considerate and polite and to hide the crazy. 
  • a13049a13049 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I will speak as someone who has been the SO of a person in the WP and the person in the WP.  Its so akward to be split up from you SO.  I hated it.  I was in my cousins wedding as a candle lights (yep not even a bridesmaid)  I had to get my hair done be at the church for picture way to freakin early and then spent the whole reception away from him because they had us at a head table and all of these other games and things.  My poor bf(now FI) was miserable and I spend the whole evening miserable because I was pretty much eating "on display." Once our "obligations were done, I was in a boring mood from sitting and eating pretty much by myself that we chose to leave.  Then I had to hear all about leaving early.  
  • a13049 said:
    I will speak as someone who has been the SO of a person in the WP and the person in the WP.  Its so akward to be split up from you SO.  I hated it.  I was in my cousins wedding as a candle lights (yep not even a bridesmaid)  I had to get my hair done be at the church for picture way to freakin early and then spent the whole reception away from him because they had us at a head table and all of these other games and things.  My poor bf(now FI) was miserable and I spend the whole evening miserable because I was pretty much eating "on display." Once our "obligations were done, I was in a boring mood from sitting and eating pretty much by myself that we chose to leave.  Then I had to hear all about leaving early.  
    I want to piggyback on your experience. 

Last fall FI and I were both members of a WP, and we basically didn't see each other from 9am until whatever time dinner was due to "getting ready" etc.  At dinner the Bride and Groom had a head table, and even though FI and I were BOTH in the WP, we still couldn't sit together because the bride had all the BMs on her right and the Groom had all the GMs on his left ><

OP, please don't have a head table.  I have been in a bunch of weddings and I have always hated being on display while trying to eat, and also really hated not being able to eat with my FI.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• The WP needs to sit with their SOs, whether that means at a head table, or separate tables while the B&G sit at a sweetheart table.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards