Wedding Reception Forum

What Are your First Dance & Father/Daughter Dance songs?

Hi all..

So what are your first dance and father/daughter dance songs, and why did you choose it? Our first dance is John Legends All of Me. I'm not a John Legend fan and neither is my fiance, but he picked this one. After listening to the song, I can understand why he chose it.

Father/daughter dance. I let my dad pick that one out. Since he loves Elvis, he chose Elvis' Can't Help Falling in Love. Since I'm not his SO, I was a bit taken aback by that song. But, it's his favorite, so I'm OK with it.

what are your songs?

Re: What Are your First Dance & Father/Daughter Dance songs?

• Our first dance song will be Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat.  I'm not sure about father/daughter song, haven't actually talked to my dad about it yet at all.  He is really into music and I'll let him pick.  It will probably be either Grateful Dead or bluegrass.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Our first dance will be Smile by Uncle Kracker and I let my dad pick our father/daughter dance song which will be I loved her first by Heartland.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Our first dance is "It Had to be You" by Frank Sinatra, a real swanky slow swing version :)

My father/daughter dance is "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle.

image   image   image

• Our first dance is "Good Feeling" by the Violent Femmes. It is FI's favorite song.
  • Our first dance is "You Save Me" by Kenny Chesney. This song really describes the bond we've built together even through the tought times in our 8 years we've already spent together.
  • Our first dance will be "I Don't Dance" by Lee Brice. When it first came out FI and I had the exact same thought when we heard it. Before that we were going to do "Amazed" by Lonestar (his pick) but we love that this one is new and modern. Haven't talked about father-daughter dance yet, we may just do one at the same time as FI dances with his mom, as those are the only parents we will have there.
  • First dance is Just a Kiss by Lady Antebellum.  Neither one of us are country fans, but this song fit us so well that we don't care.

Not sure about father/daughter dance.  Maybe My Girl by The Temptations.  I offered to let him pick a song, but not sure if he will or not.

• Our first dance is "It Had to be You" by Frank Sinatra, a real swanky slow swing version :) My father/daughter dance is "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle.
    This is our wedding song!!

My Dad asked that we not do a father/daughter dance. He isn't really physically able and he was very self conscious about it. He said he would do it if I wanted him to, but I told him it was fine. FI's mom has passed away so we won't do any parent dances.
  • Our first dance is "It Had to be You" by Frank Sinatra, a real swanky slow swing version :)My father/daughter dance is "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle.
    I'm pretty sure I'd be sobbing on the dance floor with that one. It is really perfect though :)
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Moiramab said:

Our first dance is "It Had to be You" by Frank Sinatra, a real swanky slow swing version :)My father/daughter dance is "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle.
    I'm pretty sure I'd be sobbing on the dance floor with that one. It is really perfect though :)

Our first dance is "It Had to be You" by Frank Sinatra, a real swanky slow swing version :)

My father/daughter dance is "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle.

This is our wedding song!!

My Dad asked that we not do a father/daughter dance. He isn't really physically able and he was very self conscious about it. He said he would do it if I wanted him to, but I told him it was fine. FI's mom has passed away so we won't do any parent dances.

---------------------boxes will not cooperate----------------------
    It IS super perfect. I cry every time I hear it lol.

I'm glad we share the same wedding song! My dad thought it was too depressing, but FI LOVES that era of music, we love the words, and it sets the tone for the evening. It's perfect to sway back and forth to.

image   image   image

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Our first dance song is "The Only Exception" by Paramore.

My dad FINALLY agreed to dance with me, so I'm excited because he does not dance. Like ever. We're not doing a traditional father/daughter dance. Instead, we're dancing to "Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZTop.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Our first dance song is "Watch the Wind Blow By" by Tim McGraw

I am doing an uncle/niece dance not a father/daughter dance. We will be dancing to "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    Our first dance is "Shameless" by Garth Brooks.

Father/daughter dance is "Tough Little Boys" by Gary Allan.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ughhhhh I can't decide on any of them. I don't want anything super crazy popular/overplayed. Considering this for our first dance...

• Our first dance is Frank Valli's Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You (our song from when we first started dating ten years ago), while I am dancing to Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole's version of What a Wonderful World.
  • Still working on my first dance song, but my dad and I are dancing to "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman.
  • Our first dance song is Have a Little Faith in Me by John Hiatt. Our father/daughter song is Slipping Through My Fingers by Abba.
  • Our first dance was "Feel Like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk (from the movie "how to lose a guy in 10 days") The movie came out right before we started dating but we have watched it a million times together and still quote it a lot. I knew years before we were engaged that this would be our first dance.

My father daughter dance was "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart. I was nervous about this as the song has a faster beat and neither of us are good dancers, but I found a slower version that worked perfect. Numerous people commented to me how perfect that song was!

Anniversary
  • KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    Our first dance is "Syrup and Honey" by Duffy.  I heard it randomly once when listening to other Duffy songs and fell in love with it.  I think her voice is spectacular and the song is very pretty.  Our other choices were "Sea of Love" by Cat Powers and "You Had Me From Hello" by Kenny Chesney.

My father/ daughter dance is "Nothing Can Change This Love" by Sam Cooke.  My dad is much older and he loves blues and oldies music.  Sam Cooke is one of his favorite singers and this song is just absolutely perfect for the two of us.  He doesn't know this is our song yet, and I know he will 100% be crying when he finds out.

• Our first dance song will be '1000 Years' by Christina Perri. Father/daughter dance will be 'Butterfly Kisses' by Bob Carlisle.
    photo tumblr_mfhfonwf671rg1b79o1_500_zps27a85afc.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our first dance song is "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge. Undecided on father/daughter dance ... I LOVE Butterfly Kisses, but my dad heard it once and thought it was dumb lol.
  • First Dance song: You and Me Lifehouse
    Father/Daughter song: Lullaby Billy Joel

I know this wasn't asked for, but the Mother/Song song is Because you loved me Celine Dion
  • kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    First dance: Better Together - Jack Johnson
    Father/Daughter dance: Hey Jude - The Beatles
  • wandajune6wandajune6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Everyone in my family seems to use "Dream a Little Dream of Me" by Ella Fitzgerald. It's unintentional but they always choose it for the father/daughter dance. I was planning on something more original but haven't thought of anything that we'd both like more.

We're doing Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" for our first dance. I'm not a fan (too cheesy) but FI's got his heart set on it. Given how much he hates dancing, I'm letting him win this one.

Not sure about the mother/son dance. FI's only recently started speaking to his mom again. He's going to dance with her but when I ask for his ideas, I just get "La Cucharacha." She refuses to offer an opinion because she's so thrilled that he's speaking to her that she's afraid of rocking the boat. I think I'm going to have to figure something out for them myself!

ETA HTML code because TK formatting is out to torture me today

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @wandajune6 I ended up having to choose FI's mother/son dance too. He has no opinion on the matter and his mom is the same so I asked his dad who suggested something by The Beatles so it'll probably end up being Blackbird.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• We found it!! Surprised me since I normally can't stand Brantley Gilbert, but the lyrics hit home for us. "Fall Into Me"

And for father/daughter, Edwin McCain "Walk With You."

• Our first dance was "Your Everything" from Keith Urban. 

I let my dad pick Father/Daughter (and he wanted to surprise me)  he picked "My Little Girl" from Tim McGraw, and it definitely made me cry

Anniversary
  • rsbloomrsbloom member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We keep switching around on first dance songs, but right now it's "Anywhere With You" by Jake Owen and it was "Honeybee" by Blake Shelton.

We're also combining father/daughter and mother/son into one dance because none of us except his mom wants to do parent dances.  Haven't chosen a song yet for that, will probably let FMIL pick.
  • Those are all great song choices ladies!! :)
    Our first song is "Sirens" by Pearl Jam.
    My father/daughter dance is "If We Hold On Together" by Diana Ross (from the end of "Land Before Time").
    My fiance is still picking out his mother/son dance.

• Our first dance will be Come Away With Me by Norah Jones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards