Registry and Gift Forum
Options

should I or not?

We did things backwards. We had babies and now want to get married. We have lived together for years.
Is it appropriate to register?

Re: should I or not?

• Options

We did things backwards. We had babies and now want to get married. We have lived together for years.
    Is it appropriate to register?

Sure, go for it.

Although, to be honest, in my circle it's more acceptable to have a small registry if you've been living together on your own for awhile. BUT, that's just my circle (not yours) and not necessarily something I agree with.
  • Options
    Just make sure the items on the registry are things that you & FI want for yourselves or family activites, not things the kids need.
  • Options
    Yes, it is appropriate to register. It is also fine not to register if you don't want to.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Yes, a small registry. I would like to register for in-expensive things. Wedding picture frames, stemware, kitchen towels, etc. Is it more convenient to have a registry at two different locations such as Macy's and Target?

• Options
    They are both easily accessible places, so probably not necessary. Having two registries like that might get side eyed by girls who think you should have one small registry. Now if one was a little local shop, and the other Target, I would say def do both since the local one isn't reachable by distant friends and family. But Macy's and Target are pretty widespread and have at least the online store, so people can get a gift from either store easily.

image   image   image

• Options
    Ok. Thanks @sugargirl1019.
    I will have only one at target. I love that place I could walk around in there for DAYS.

• Options
    You're welcome! Target has some pretty fantastic stuff!

I did just think of china and stemware - I might register at Macy's for those items only, if Target does not have anything to your liking.

image   image   image

• Options
    Oh ok thanks for the tip.

• Options
    They are both easily accessible places, so probably not necessary. Having two registries like that might get side eyed by girls who think you should have one small registry. Now if one was a little local shop, and the other Target, I would say def do both since the local one isn't reachable by distant friends and family. But Macy's and Target are pretty widespread and have at least the online store, so people can get a gift from either store easily.
    I don't think anyone would side eye you for having two registries or one or two large registries. Many people live together before they get married, many other people have a home and it is well appointed before deciding to marry. I don't see why having lived with and/or having kids before marriage earns others the right to side eye you for registering.

You are perfectly fine etiquette wise to have 2 large or small registries. The size of your registry should be based on your guest list and the items you would like to register for...nothing else. If someone side eyes you for registering bc you and your FI have kids, they are RUDE! Not you.

GL :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    If you were my friend, I would want to get you something that you would like and would use because you're my friend and you're getting married and I'm excited for you and your intended :) This would not change regardless of your living or child situation. I'd want to make sure that the serving tray or stemware I picked was not only to your taste but was also something Aunt Mabel didn't get for you too. So I would appreciate a registry or even two.
  • Options
    kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014

I don't think anyone would side eye you for having two registries or one or two large registries. Many people live together before they get married, many other people have a home and it is well appointed before deciding to marry. I don't see why having lived with and/or having kids before marriage earns others the right to side eye you for registering.

You are perfectly fine etiquette wise to have 2 large or small registries. The size of your registry should be based on your guest list and the items you would like to register for...nothing else. If someone side eyes you for registering bc you and your FI have kids, they are RUDE! Not you.

GL :)

----boxes!----
    I'd add that it may depend on your guest list. If you have a lot of older adults who live out of town (I do), then I would try to pick something convenient to where most of them live, if possible, since they may not like shopping online. if that means two stores, that's OK in my book. Just don't duplicate your lists.
    If Macy's and target are too similar, perhaps a registry someplace like sears or Home Depot would be useful.
  • Options

I don't understand. Are we supposed to view the size of the registry as a reflection on how "good" the couple was before marriage now? Do we add/subtract the number of acceptable items based on years of togetherness, premarital sex, childbirth out of wedlock, or whatever else we want to judge an individual couple on?
    I suspect the same people who would side-eye the registry size based on things that are none of their business are the ones who roll their eyes when they hear that a longtime couple is getting married in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards