Honeymoon Discussions

Compromise honeymoon?

Hi Knotties,

I have another "Where should we go on our honeymoon?" post! I've had my heart set on a tropical honeymoon, while my fiance likes cities, adventure, and doesn't think that there will be enough to do in the Caribbean besides sit on the beach (he doesn't like the beach and thinks it will be too hot in July anyways). I would really love to swim in tropical waters, snorkel, see marine life, etc.

So far, we've come up with two possibilities that may work:

1. Australia (Sydney then Port Douglas)

2. California and Hawaii (San Francisco then the Big Island/Maui)

This will be for July 2015 if that matters. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, or other ideas, we'd love to hear them! Thanks!

Re: Compromise honeymoon?

• Well, if you want to do beach, then Australia in July probably isn't for you (it's their winter and will probably be a bit chilly for beach).  San Fran + Hawaii sound like a good bet.  Or, you might also consider San Diego + Ensenada, or Los Angeles, San Diego, Ensenada.  That would be a good mix of city and beach (though San Diego is fairly laid back and doesn't necessarily have the big city feel).
  • I'd vote for your second option as well because Australia will be having their winter in July.

FI and I did a compromise too. I wanted camping and he wanted to go somewhere we both hadn't been before that involved laying on a beach at an all-inclusive (he's never done an AI tropical vacation before). We compromised by planning a week in the Dominican and then flying back to Calgary (his bestie lives there so we'll be leaving and coming back from there so we can park our car during the week we are gone and flights from there are a heck of a lot cheaper than where we are from) and driving into the mountains to go hiking and camping for another week. I like that we are hiking after the beach trip too because then we can work off all the excess food and booze from the week before!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Well, if you want to do beach, then Australia in July probably isn't for you (it's their winter and will probably be a bit chilly for beach).  San Fran + Hawaii sound like a good bet.  Or, you might also consider San Diego + Ensenada, or Los Angeles, San Diego, Ensenada.  That would be a good mix of city and beach (though San Diego is fairly laid back and doesn't necessarily have the big city feel).
    Port Douglas will be warm enough for the beach in July. It's north of Cairns and stays tropical year-round. We honeymooned on Lizard Island, which is north of PD and Cairns in mid August and it was gorgeous! 

That being said, what type of budget are you looking at? Something like a CA/Hawaii combo will be more affordable than Australia.

• Puerto Rico.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would be terrified to go anywhere in the Caribbean during hurricane season-just keep that in mind! I vote CA/HI

imageimage

• I would be terrified to go anywhere in the Caribbean during hurricane season-just keep that in mind! I vote CA/HI
    I think this statement is a bit dramatic. Hurricanes can occur in the Caribbean during hurricane season, but the Caribbean is a very large place and tens of thousands of people visit there every year during hurricane season and return alive and unscathed. Oh, and Hawaii also has a hurricane season as well and it happens to fall duing the same time as the Caribbean. The key is to purchase trip insurance. If something does happen to pop up, you can cancel without any penalties. Most likely nothing will happen and the weather will be lovely (because where there isn't a storm in the area, the weather will be just as it is any other time of year.)

I think this statement is a bit dramatic. Hurricanes can occur in the Caribbean during hurricane season, but the Caribbean is a very large place and tens of thousands of people visit there every year during hurricane season and return alive and unscathed. Oh, and Hawaii also has a hurricane season as well and it happens to fall duing the same time as the Caribbean. The key is to purchase trip insurance. If something does happen to pop up, you can cancel without any penalties. Most likely nothing will happen and the weather will be lovely (because where there isn't a storm in the area, the weather will be just as it is any other time of year.)
    I agree with this.  My friends went to Antigua in October a few years back for their HM.  They had a bad tropical storm come through the day after they arrived.  It only lasted one day and the rest of the time they were there the weather was gorgeous.

Trip insurance is your best friend if you are going anywhere that may get hit by a hurricane or if you are spending A LOT of money on your HM.  Trip insurance is not always necessary but it should be considered in certain circumstances.

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I would be terrified to go anywhere in the Caribbean during hurricane season-just keep that in mind! I vote CA/HI
    What she said.

We honeymooned in the Caribbean and did a cruise last October during hurricane season. We had drizzling while in St. Lucia but the rest of the time was absolutely gorgeous. Also, going during hurricane season is a great time for prices because of people like shannonmaya because they don't research and quickly dismiss it as a possibility. I'll take the savings!
  • Thanks for all the great replies and food for thought so far! 

And sorry for all the multiple postings, an error message came up so I thought they weren't going through! 
  • My friend and her husband were in this situation, too. She wanted city and activity, he wanted beach. He talked her into Mexico, which she was actually a little bummed about it ahead of time. In the end, she said she couldn't have been happier. The run up to the wedding is such a hectic time. There's so much going on, and no matter how supportive your family is, no matter how much you and your FI are on the same page about everything, there's going to be some stress whipped up around such a big event. She said she was so happy that the honeymoon was a chance to just relax afterwards, where they had no schedule to attend to and got to enjoy time together. I love active vacations with adventures, tours, and sightseeing, but we definitely considered her experience, and we're going to St. Lucia. We can go hiking or stroll through town if we want to, but we can also just lay on the beach. My wedding is now just over a month away, and FI and I are so ready for the do nothing time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards