Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Been through a LOT, need some advice on first song and a tribute song

OK...this is my first post ever on the Knot, so I'm sorry if this has been done before!

Our story: My fiance and I have been through a LOT in 6 years, between a long military deployment (mine), a long break up, and, most recently last September, the very sudden and extremely painful loss of my brother to a drowning.  On top of it all, we have both changed careers in the
last year and bought a house.  While some of the things we went through (careers and a new home) are very happy, we have proven to ourselves that we can withstand just about anything.  My fiance (then boyfriend) was my absolute rock through the loss of my brother, I don't know how my family could have gotten through it without him.
Anyways, there are a few things I have been looking for...the perfect song to recognize everything we have been through as one is the first. Bless the Broken Road is definitely an option, but I want to see what else is out there.  We are kind of a fun traditional couple, so we want to have a slow song, but wouldn't be opposed to something newer or more quirky.  The other thing, I want to honor my brother - and my 3 NEW brother in laws - at the wedding some how.  I don't know if there is a good way to do it or not.

Re: Been through a LOT, need some advice on first song and a tribute song

• Hello and welcome!

First off, I am very sorry for your loss. It seems as though you and your FI have really made it through some hard times! For that, I offer my congratulations on finding such a great support system.

I would think that My Wish by Rascall Flatts would work well for your situation.

Finally, tributes are really tricky. My grandfather was basically my dad growing up, so it was really hard when we lost him. I am just going to have our officiant say a quick few words remembering him and then we will not bring it up again at the wedding. Weddings are times for celebration and I know that I personally would be a wreck if we did much more in honor of my grandfather.

Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Bless The Broken Road is a great choice for your song. 

As for the tribute be careful with these.  Not everyone will enjoy it and it may be hard/sad for people to witness. A wedding is a happy event so doing a tribute makes it more somber.  I always like the idea of people doing their own personal tribute that does not call everyone's direct attention (lighting a candle or putting photo's up on a table of family/loved ones who have passed).

Anniversary
  • donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    So sorry for the tragic loss of your brother - that's heartbreaking.  
    My best suggestion for including him in your wedding day would be like @erinlin25 suggested about a picture or a candle or even a moment of remembrance during the ceremony. 
    During the party portion, ask the DJ or band to play {your brother's favorite song or artist} either during dancing, or dinner if that's more appropriate.  You and your family will know.... :-)  

And maybe a brother dance with your three new brothers (and all) to The Power by Snap ....  your new name, right?   ;-)  Or something equally fun ... like a sister would do with her brothers!  

I'm not sure you know or care for an oldie like Barry Manilow ... but this song came into my head when I first read your story ... you've been through alot!  All the best to you  

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Maybe "Bridge Over Troubled Water" would fit the bill?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards