Plus-Sized

WHY. Vent session.

I need to vent.

I went into a bridal store to pick out a bridesmaid dress. I called a head of time to ensure they had plus size samples, and they assured me they did.  So I get there, and they tell me they have nothing in my size.  Granted I'm a big girl. But like, I called a head of time and I told them that, an they're like "Oh, our plus size goes up to size 8." SIZE 8?!  If that is a plus size, then I must be Godzilla size.

Okay.  Sorry for the vent.  I feel better now.  All my friends are a size 0 - 3 so they don't understand why I'm so mad.

Re: WHY. Vent session.

• Since when is size 8 plus sized anywhere but in models?  Craziness!  I'm really sorry for that.  Could you get the style and designer and go elsewhere to try on a dress?  That would make me wonder if the dress they are getting is even available in a plus size. 
  • @loveislouder i feel you on that when i started my dress shopping journey i had the same issues

i called a place left a message inquiring how many samples they had in plus size to try on they called me back and they were like we have about 10 i was excited i said ok what sizes are they we have a few 14s some 16s 2 18s would you like to make an appointment to try on gowns  i said no i am a street size 20 i said i would need gowns to try on in larger sizes she said well we can try to get you into the 18s i said it wont work but thank you anyways she did say if i could further help you let us know.

then there was another shop its a popular bridal place in my state they have this attic room with discounted gowns as well as regular gowns you can order. i called them up said i was looking for plus size gowns to try on how many do you have and what sizes uh can you hold for a moment i get put on hold i can hear her yelling well talking loudly to someone else do we have any gowns in sizes 20 and up+ gets back on the phone and says to me we have one gown in a 20 and a bunch in 14s and 16s would you like to make an appointment i said thank you for checking but no because you only have one gown in a 20 for me to even try on. she then said we have 14s and 16s and i think some 18s you cant try them on but you can put them up to your body with the hanger to get an idea and then we can order for you,,

no way can i tell how a dress will fit by the hanger

i did end up finding 2 salons with plus sizes one had tons of options ( where i got my dress) the other place i called assured me they had larger sizes than 18s but the selection of those were very few. and the owner of that place was  downstairs  sitting at the desk wanting to know why i did not find anything. at that point all i could think about was this other gown at the amazing store i went to the week before so i said to her ill keep checking back to see if anything new came in.. but i never did and that was rude of her to even stand by the door and ask me.

instead she should have said what styles in mind do you like can i see the photos you brought i might be able to get some of these allures for you to try on.  and the consultant she was another thing everything i had on she said looked good on me except for one dress.

a good salon is honest about what sizes they carry, will go above and beyond to give you the best dress experience, will not pressure you to purchase as this is the biggest day purchase ever.
  • It makes me scared to even look at wedding dress shopping.  Maybe I'll just get one made for me, I don't know.  But like. a size 8 is in NO way plus size. Grrrrrr
  • I called specifically and said "I am a street size __, which means likely a size ___ in wedding gowns.  How many samples do you have in that size?     If they had less than 10, I didn't bother going to that salon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards