Plus-Sized
Options

Ignorant Co-worker - vent

So I've been working towards getting healthier - eating better and going to the gym. But Its been tough lately so I wanted to do something to keep myself motivated - so my cousin told me that she had a group of girls signed up for our local Dirty Girl Mud Run in september to help keep me motivated for my work-outs and weight goals.
Run info just for anyone who wants to see what its about:

Anyway - so I had mentioned that I signed up for this to one of my co-workers. She is middle-aged (not that that part matters), and has recently lost about 20 lbs- but now she is probably the thinnest she could be and still be healthy, and has never been overtly overweight, and for sure never obese. So I'm excited about it - and she says "Oh, you think you'll be able to handle that? My son-in-law did it and had a really rough time, and he's in really good shape." (He actually did the Tough Mudder which is - from my understanding - significantly more difficult) 

And I was so hurt. She really didn't mean to be offensive about it. I know she didn't. But come on - you can think that, but keep it to yourself. Let me use the competition as motivation to keep going in the gym. Which I know that I can STILL use it to my advantage. . . .

And yes - it will be tough for me, but it will also be a blast! But ugh - did you HAVE to say that?! 

Sometimes I just don't think that people who haven't been overweight realize how much comments like that really hurt. And I wish they didn't. But thats not the case.

Ok - thanks for listening. Hope you ladies are having a good weekend :o)
                                Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Ignorant Co-worker - vent

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with challenging yourself!!!  No it doesn't look like it's going to be easy, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at the very least attempt it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    When you kick that run's ass you can go back and tell her :)
  • Options
    oh I'm not giving up on it because of her comment! Thats for sure!! 

More upset that the comment hurt the way that it did.

But thanks for the support! I'm gonna finish that run, and I'm gonna kick ass! 

::Gets ready for the gym::
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    I am sorry people can be so hurtful.

For what it's worth, I was overweight right out of college. One day I too decided to get healthy. I ate healthier, began working out (I had really never exercised). I signed up for a triathlon. It was short, but it was exactly the motivation I needed.

Well, last year I did an Ironman. Everyone starts somewhere. Good for you for finding your starting line!
  • Options
    A tough mudder is way harder...   You can do this girl!  I have run marathons - Full (26.2 miles) and half (13.1) and I get comments and surprised looks all the time.  "Shouldn't you be really skinny with as much as you have to run?"  

Remember...  DLF>DNF>>DNS!  (Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards