May 2014 Weddings

"Guests of Honor"? - Wedding Program Question

I have a couple of friends that I was bummed about not being able to include as bridesmaids. They will be the ones that "dramatically" open the church doors when I make my grand entrance. One of them will also be reading. Both will be helping at the reception, one operating the homemade photo booth and the other attending the guest book (we're doing a nontraditional guestbook - long story, but it NEEDS an attendant!). They'll also be helping here and there with the preparations. I want to include them in the program.

I suggested referring to them as "guests of honor" to my fiance but he's afraid it will make other guests wonder why they're not guests of honor.

Then I suggested "Wedding Assistants" and he said that if we include them, we should include the caterer, the photographer, etc. too.

How should I refer to these two ladies in the program? Thanks!

Re: "Guests of Honor"? - Wedding Program Question

• I kind of feel lik if they are working for you that day then they arent really guests. What will they get to enjoy as friends or guests if theyre busy working the photo booth or guest book?
  • windiewindie member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary

what about just stating what they are doing? "Guest Book Attendant" and "Photo Booth Attendant" - for the one that is a reader, i'd add her a "Reader & [job] Attendant"

• sder0320 said:
    I have a couple of friends that I was bummed about not being able to include as bridesmaids. They will be the ones that "dramatically" open the church doors when I make my grand entrance. One of them will also be reading. Both will be helping at the reception, one operating the homemade photo booth and the other attending the guest book (we're doing a nontraditional guestbook - long story, but it NEEDS an attendant!). They'll also be helping here and there with the preparations. I want to include them in the program.

I suggested referring to them as "guests of honor" to my fiance but he's afraid it will make other guests wonder why they're not guests of honor.

Then I suggested "Wedding Assistants" and he said that if we include them, we should include the caterer, the photographer, etc. too.

You really should consider what your fiancé said in regards to if you include them, you would need to include the caterer, photographer, etc.  Do you really want your really good friends feeling like they are like a vendor at your wedding, because they will be working it instead of enjoying it like your other guests, especially since it seems like these would be some of your VIP guests.
  • windiewindie member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    sder0320 said:

You really should consider what your fiancé said in regards to if you include them, you would need to include the caterer, photographer, etc.  Do you really want your really good friends feeling like they are like a vendor at your wedding, because they will be working it instead of enjoying it like your other guests, especially since it seems like these would be some of your VIP guests.

I disagree... you pay for the services of the caterer & photograher, etc - friends who help out at the wedding are doing it because they love you and want to help! You don't put people you pay in a wedding program - that would make it seem like your wedding was sponsored by them and their services were free!

I have been the guest book attendant at a few weddings and once or twice they put my name in the program - i thought it was a nice "thank you for helping us!"

• windie said:
    sder0320 said:

I disagree... you pay for the services of the caterer & photograher, etc - friends who help out at the wedding are doing it because they love you and want to help! You don't put people you pay in a wedding program - that would make it seem like your wedding was sponsored by them and their services were free!

I have been the guest book attendant at a few weddings and once or twice they put my name in the program - i thought it was a nice "thank you for helping us!"

My question is - how long do your friends have to do these jobs?  Even I love you and am happy for you, I would not be happy to work the "job" your whole wedding and not get to enjoy it like the other guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards