Wedding Party

Paying for Bridesmaid's Dress?

One of my bridesmaids has gained a bit of weight since purchasing her bridesmaid dress, and it no longer fits her.  She told me she needed to get a new one, and I told her I understood and said she should see if she could return the original dress since it had never been worn.  She said they wouldn't accept the return since it had been purchased more than 30 days ago, and then she asked if I would buy her new dress since she already had to pay for her first bridesmaid dress.  I understand that if I had been the one to change the dress she was wearing that I would be responsible for footing the bill, but is it my responsibility to pay for her new dress since her old one no longer fits her?  I'm unsure how to approach the subject and say that I'm sorry, but I can't pay for her dress because it's not in my budget.  Am I being unreasonable, or should it be her responsibility to pay for her own alterations or a new dress?  Thanks!

Re: Paying for Bridesmaid's Dress?

• One of my bridesmaids has gained a bit of weight since purchasing her bridesmaid dress, and it no longer fits her.  She told me she needed to get a new one, and I told her I understood and said she should see if she could return the original dress since it had never been worn.  She said they wouldn't accept the return since it had been purchased more than 30 days ago, and then she asked if I would buy her new dress since she already had to pay for her first bridesmaid dress.  I understand that if I had been the one to change the dress she was wearing that I would be responsible for footing the bill, but is it my responsibility to pay for her new dress since her old one no longer fits her?  I'm unsure how to approach the subject and say that I'm sorry, but I can't pay for her dress because it's not in my budget.  Am I being unreasonable, or should it be her responsibility to pay for her own alterations or a new dress?  Thanks!
    No, it is not your responsibility to pay for a new dress since her old one no longer fits.  Like you said, you did not change the dress choice so really this all is on your BM.  Has she looked into alterations?

• It's not your responsibility to buy her a new dress at all. Has she even consulted a seamstress yet? It may be possible to let the dress out enough that it will still fit without too expensive of a fix. 

Maybe send her a rec of a good affordable seamstress?
  • Agree with PPs.  It is not your responsibility to buy the new dress.  Depending on the dress, it may be possible for her to purchase a gently used version in the right size on eBay or a pre-owned site.  She may also be able to work with a good seamstress if she can get her hands on some similar material.

I'd also think about suggesting to her that she finds a dress in the same color and length, even if it doesn't match the other dresses.
    Anniversary

• Nope, not your responsibility, and it was very inappropriate of her to expect that of you. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks for the input, everyone! I really appreciate it, and I'll be sure to send her some seamstress recommendations.
  • I think it's very respectable of you to even ask if you should...the answer of course is heck no. I agree with PPs maybe help her find seamstresses but you have no responsibility to pay for another dress.
  • I think it's rude of her to ask. It's not your fault she gained weight.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Not your responsibility.  It was not appropriate of your bridesmaid to ask you this.  But if she refuses to buy herself a new dress or lose sufficient weight that she can once again fit into the original dress, that may be her way of taking herself out of your wedding party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards