Just Engaged and Proposals

I don't know what to do !

Me and my fiance want to get married on May 4th, 2015. May 4th is a special day for him, it is his mother's birthday and since she is no longer with us, using that day will be like having her there and means a lot to him. HOWEVER, May 4th is a monday... Since it's a monday a lot of the people we want to come will not be able to make it because of work, and I can understand that. What we are thinking about doing is having a ceremony on the Saturday before (May 2nd) and then on monday we would go to the courthouse and make it official by getting the license there and having the JP marry us then so we can have that day. I have no idea what to do about the "wedding" ceremony since technically it's really not a wedding. Which also gives me more freedom to be a little more creative , but I can't seem to think about anything.

Answers

• I understand that the date is important to you but I think what you want to do is a bit silly.

If you really want to get married on May 4th then you should have a very intimate ceremony with immediate family (meaning parents and siblings and their SOs) and a nice dinner or lunch afterwards and then have a fun celebration the following Saturday.

• Either get married on the 4th and have very few people there or get married on a day when more people can be there. No pretend ceremonies, please. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yep. Afraid you're going to have to pick and choose. If you want a lot of people at your wedding you can always find some other way to honor her at the ceremony and do something privately to remember her on her birthday.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Having a fake wedding ceremony on your late FMIL's birthday is not a respectful way to honor her memory.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It is a little rude to everyone you would invite to your wedding if you're not even going to get married until a couple days later. People are there to celebrate the union of two people. And really, how would you feel throughout your entire day knowing that you weren't really married? It would ruin the experience for you. Pick a date and stick with it, make the most of the wedding, and no matter when the wedding is, you can find a way to honor your late fiance's mother-in-law. There are a lot of great ideas online of how to honor relatives and friends who passed away. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards