Snarky Brides

Reasons you know you're getting old...

2»

Re: Reasons you know you're getting old...

• One of the children I was a nanny for just got into college. It took all my strength not to comment on his Facebook and say "Excuse me, I just finished helping you learn your ABCs, you are not permitted to go to college yet."
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • The groom in the wedding I attended last weekend was a kid I used to babysit...

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I was at a bachelorette party this weekend when some kid comes up and starts talking to us. It was his 21st birthday.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    - hangovers last more then one day - a great Saturday with H is a trip to Home Depot and Home Goods - our parties last until 11pm and that is on the late side - use the phrase "back in the day" a lot. - each day it gets harder and harder to get up after sitting on the floor for an extended period of time. Edit: damn paragraphs being dumb

• I partied pretty hard this weekend and I've spent today doing all my usual recovery tricks...I still feel like crap.
  • LDay2014 said:
    when someone says, 'remember 10 years ago' and you think of the 90's. 10 years ago was 2004...
    I DO THIS ALL THE TIME.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Injuries are happening easier and more often.

A month ago I fractured a bone in my foot while dancing :(

This past weekend I pulled a muscle in my neck while I was rolling out of bed, and couldn't turn my head for two days.

I'm only 29, and in pretty good shape by all accounts!
  • The first time I really felt old was when I realized that I can actually remember my parents being my current age (I'm 34 years). I swear they were really old at this age, at least that's what I thought back then.  When my mom was my age, she had been married for 16 years and had 3 kids (ages 4, 9, 14).  I'm just now getting married and still don't think I'm ready for kids! But, it hit me that all of the kids these days now look at me the same way I looked at adults back then... as old people.  And I don't think of my parents as being particularly old now, in their 60's, but as a kid, that would have been, like, on a death bed, REALLY old.

I also go to bed at the same time as my 6-year old niece. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in a couple years because I decided that I don't like the taste, I don't like the hangovers, and it has no thrill or point to it anymore. And I'd rather have a quiet evening at home on the couch than go out for any reason.

• Injuries are happening easier and more often.

A month ago I fractured a bone in my foot while dancing :(

This past weekend I pulled a muscle in my neck while I was rolling out of bed, and couldn't turn my head for two days.

I'm only 29, and in pretty good shape by all accounts!
    Done this. Woke up one morning when I was 24, stretched my arms over my head, heard a crack, and couldn't move my head - it was literally stuck tilted to one side. Had to have my mom drive me to urgent care because I couldn't turn my head to drive. I felt like an idiot walking around with my head tilted.
  •  
    Done this. Woke up one morning when I was 24, stretched my arms over my head, heard a crack, and couldn't move my head - it was literally stuck tilted to one side. Had to have my mom drive me to urgent care because I couldn't turn my head to drive. I felt like an idiot walking around with my head tilted.
    This happened to me during one of my last lectures in grad school...streched my arms, heard that crack, couldn't move my head... had to take the bus home and my fiance had to collect my car at the campus after work... 
  • - My radio is constantly on the Classic Rock station-and I know all the word and have no desire to change the station.
    -REALLY excited about all the home improvement projects I can sink my teeth into after the wedding
    -Fi and I are heading to bed on Fri nights at the same time our early 20s friend is telling us they're heading to the bar- and we're just proud we stayed up all the way until 11.
    -I still think 1990 was ten years ago- but oh wait no that was my high school graduation.

• vh2014vh2014 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    When I was in my 30s I was getting old...now I'm 40 and I'm "grown up" can't wait to hit 50 so, like my grandmother says, I can start getting young again.  :)  She's my inspiration lol.  Also my other grandmother who got even snarkier as she got older.  I'm really looking forward to it. Have to agree with the Home Improvement comments... when Home Depot gets you more excited and worked up than Dooney and Bourke... LOL... but I think I've always been that way.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @vh2014 Me too with your last sentence! Even when I was 21 years old all my friends would be watching "reality" tv like Jersey Shore or Real Housewives and I'd be watching HGTV taking notes on how to tile a shower. lol

• When you talk with friends about how cool bird watching is.
  • I just learned that one of the kids I used to babysit is about to have her 3rd kid. I'm 35 and haven't had my first!
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm 27 and FI is almost 30. One of our favorite things to do is to go into furniture stores, home decor, kitchenwares, stuff like that. Egad, I always HATED when my mom would drag me into places like that! I watch a lot of HGTV and cooking shows too. 

My nephew is going to high school in the fall. I was his age when he was born. 

Losing weight is suddenly much harder, and it never has been easy. 
  • edited June 2014
    .... when you meet FI's 11-year-old cousin at a BBQ and find yourself saying, "When I was your age...."

... when FI's 11-year-old cousin asks how old you are and gasps, "You're 20 years older than me! WOW!"

(I'm 31.) 

Edit: Thought of more!
    .... When all the entry-level new hires at work really look like children. 
    .... When you watch old Full-House re-runs and think Danny was so old when he was turning 30 with 3 daughters, and now you're older than him, not yet married, no kids. 

• -THE 90's THING IS SO TRUE, FUCK.

-Whenever I see birth years of 1990-1999 and think "Oh, they're kids still" AND THEY'RE NOT

-My little brother is only 1.5 years away from being 21 (weren't we arguing over Legos and Pokemon cards just yesterday?)

-Adults introduce themselves by their first name, and adults that I've known through my growing up now say "Oh, just call me Mary!"  IT'S WEIRD

-When I realize I've already been out of college for a year

-I'm really excited to buy a house 

*Things that still make me feel like a helpless tiny baby:
    -trying to figure out loans / mortgages / banking stuff ARGH
    -trying to not lose my mind over having a job / finding a new job
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • @marzipan13 Omg yes- I call my friend's parents Mr. Blaine and every time they laugh and say "call me Tom". Still feels wrong!!

Be glad you're only a year out of college....I still think I am but I'm really 7 years now aaahh!

• The body going downhill starts really quickly! When I work out, and then I sit for any extended amount of time - I am so stiff. I'm 37 years old....what's going to happen if we decide to have a kid after we get married next spring?

• Want to feel young?  Go to a buffet restaurant during Senior Citizen's discount hour!  I  was the youngest person in the room except for staff!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It seems the minute I turned 27, I've been unable to maintain my weight. It seems that I go to the gym and bust my butt for hours just so that I can eat food in general for mere sustenance.
  • I have to go to orlando twice in the next two weeks for business. Im not looking forward to it because I know the summer disney crowds will be everywhere. I realized im old when I acknowledged I was less excited about doing a little shopping in orlando than I was to go by a restaurant chain where the one closest to home is 250 miles away so I can have some chicken.

Made my boss feel old when I inadvertently told her shes been practicing law longer than Ive been alive. She forgives me though-i have older parents so I understand the gripes about wanting to retire while you can still enjoy it
  • edited June 2014

when music I grew up with starts ending up on 'Oldies' stations. Wtf.
    The "classic rock" station plays NIN "Hurt" now. WTF is right. But I'm so campaigning for Du Hast in two years, since I have their timeline figured out.

When looking younger than you are is not always instant hate. But getting carded for an R rated movie does still suck.

When hiring a person born when you were entering HS doesn't automatically set legal restrictions on hours to work.
  • It seems the minute I turned 27, I've been unable to maintain my weight. It seems that I go to the gym and bust my butt for hours just so that I can eat food in general for mere sustenance.
    This. I could eat whatever I wanted and not exercise up until the day I turned 27 (last November). Now - everything goes straight to my waist and my thighs, no matter how much I run or how obsessively I count calories and watch what I eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards