Wedding Party

Gifts for parents

Our wedding is about 3 weeks away.

We are VERY non-traditional, VERY low key.  Our wedding will have 50 total people in attendance (including us and the wedding party)

SUPER casual wedding.  Girls picked their own dresses, guys are wearing Carharts, vows are super non-traditional, and our officiant is a close friend of mine. 

So with all that said, when we first started planning, I had a lot of etiquette questions, and I was asking my mom, who is also a VERY VERY nontraditional person in general.  She doesn’t know much about normal adequate, neither do I.  I asked her about gifts for the parents, and her response was "PLEASE, do NOT buy me a gift with money that I gave you for the wedding, I don't want or need a gift, save your money, and if I need a little something special I can buy it myself."  This makes total sense to me, why would you give me money just for me to turn around and buy you a gift with your own money.

We have gifts for each person in the WP, but now I am thinking that maybe my in-laws are going to be hurt if we don't give them a gift?   They are slightly more traditional them us or my family.  We have a special thank you printed on the back of the programs for each of them from each of us.  Do I need to do more? Am I being rude if I don't give them something more?

Re: Gifts for parents

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think you should get each set of parents a gift with your own money, not with your parents money. If you choose not to give gifts, a well thought out thank you letter would be lovely.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We did not do gifts for our parents. We sent them thank you notes like we sent the rest of the guests and included thanking them for the things they paid for in those notes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our wedding is about 3 weeks away.

We are VERY non-traditional, VERY low key.  Our wedding will have 50 total people in attendance (including us and the wedding party)

SUPER casual wedding.  Girls picked their own dresses, guys are wearing Carharts, vows are super non-traditional, and our officiant is a close friend of mine. 

So with all that said, when we first started planning, I had a lot of etiquette questions, and I was asking my mom, who is also a VERY VERY nontraditional person in general.  She doesn’t know much about normal adequate, neither do I.  I asked her about gifts for the parents, and her response was "PLEASE, do NOT buy me a gift with money that I gave you for the wedding, I don't want or need a gift, save your money, and if I need a little something special I can buy it myself."  This makes total sense to me, why would you give me money just for me to turn around and buy you a gift with your own money.

We have gifts for each person in the WP, but now I am thinking that maybe my in-laws are going to be hurt if we don't give them a gift?   They are slightly more traditional them us or my family.  We have a special thank you printed on the back of the programs for each of them from each of us.  Do I need to do more? Am I being rude if I don't give them something more?

You posted this on multiple boards, which many people read. You should put "XP" (for Crosspost) in the title! :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards