Wedding Reception Forum

What songs does NO ONE want to hear at their wedding?

Re: What songs does NO ONE want to hear at their wedding?

• jdluvr06 said:
    Blue_Bird said:
    That song that keeps saying "Ass" over and over.

Or that song "Versace"... Basically anything that is only one word over and over and over again.
    So does "Tequila."
  • We kept to to no sappy or vulgar songs. We had a few small kids at the wedding so I requested the chicken dance figuring it would be fun for the kids. I asked for all line dances because I knew those would get our guests out on the dance floor and I was right, after they got there, they were there the whole night. When it got light on the dance floor, out came the next line dance.
  • "David Duchovny"
  • Jen4948 said:
    AddieCake said:
    I wouldn't care what songs come on. I don't understand getting up in arms about this stuff. if you don't want to dance, don't. If you don't like a song, don't pay attention to it.
    That's kind of hard if it's being blasted at top volume.  It might not even be a dance song that someone doesn't want played.

There are some songs and dances that my BF and I just don't want to hear, whether or not they are dance tunes.  It doesn't matter to anyone else why.  But "don't pay attention to it" isn't always possible.  There may be nowhere else to go while it's being played, and it may not be possible to hear anyone else over it.
    Well, that sucks for you, I guess. I have never had difficulty tuning things out that don't interest me. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    AddieCake said:
    Jen4948 said:
    AddieCake said:
    I wouldn't care what songs come on. I don't understand getting up in arms about this stuff. if you don't want to dance, don't. If you don't like a song, don't pay attention to it.
    That's kind of hard if it's being blasted at top volume.  It might not even be a dance song that someone doesn't want played.

There are some songs and dances that my BF and I just don't want to hear, whether or not they are dance tunes.  It doesn't matter to anyone else why.  But "don't pay attention to it" isn't always possible.  There may be nowhere else to go while it's being played, and it may not be possible to hear anyone else over it.
    Well, that sucks for you, I guess. I have never had difficulty tuning things out that don't interest me. 
    Yeah, it does fucking suck to have music I hate blasted at top volume with no place to go. 

That in fact is what I'm dealing with now in my new neighborhood-neighbors who blast their music from 5 doors away, on the first floor outside, and I hear it at top volume from the second.  It interferes with my sleep an sometimes ability to hear my own music or even sleep, so you'd better believe I am not going to "tune it out" at my wedding where I am paying for the DJ.
  • AddieCake said:
    I don't know why you're getting so testy about it. If you can't tune it out, then, no, you shouldn't have to try at your own wedding. It remains a non issue for me, however. I don't care what music gets played at any event I attend because I can and will tune it out if I am not a fan.
    I got testy about it because I've been dealing with this kind of crap for the last couple of days, and because you gave a rather snarky response about "that sucks for you."  I did not need that. 
  • I wasn't trying to be snarky. As you confirmed, it DOES suck for you.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    I wasn't trying to be snarky. As you confirmed, it DOES suck for you.
    Nonintentions of snarkiness acknowledged and accepted.  Apology offered for being testy.
  • Accepted. Now let's go get margaritas. And cupcakes.
  • AddieCake said:
    Accepted. Now let's go get margaritas. And cupcakes.
    Sounds good to me.  How about some pizza before the cupcakes?
  • See, now you're trying to seduce me. I approve.
  • AddieCake said:
    See, now you're trying to seduce me. I approve.
    Cool!
  • Jen4948 said:
    AddieCake said:
    Jen4948 said:
    AddieCake said:

Yeah, it does fucking suck to have music I hate blasted at top volume with no place to go. 

That in fact is what I'm dealing with now in my new neighborhood-neighbors who blast their music from 5 doors away, on the first floor outside, and I hear it at top volume from the second.  It interferes with my sleep an sometimes ability to hear my own music or even sleep, so you'd better believe I am not going to "tune it out" at my wedding where I am paying for the DJ.
    Um, why don't you call the cops on their ass?  I am sure your city has some sort of noise violation after a certain hour.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    AddieCake said:
    Jen4948 said:
    AddieCake said:

Um, why don't you call the cops on their ass?  I am sure your city has some sort of noise violation after a certain hour.
    My roommate calls the cops on them all the time, but nothing ever gets done.  I just moved into the place, so I'm getting used to it.
  • "She Bop"
  • I fucking DETEST the Cha Cha Slide.

When I had my apartment, my downstairs neighbor got an AWFUL girlfriend, and began to host parties on Tuesday nights. At these parties, I think their only music source was to play the iTunes preview of songs they liked. So they would do that. Repeatedly.

I don't know what the fuckin' problem was, but that dipshit and his imbecile GF would play clips of songs OVER AND OVER repeatedly. I heard CLIPS OVER AND FUCKING OVER AGAIN of the same fucking songs all the time. Eminem, Cha Cha Slide (which was odd because it didn't go with the rest of their music choices even a little bit), Nickelback, Hinder, BuckCherry, Saliva, ICP, Disturbed, etc. It was like an early 2000's buttrock explosion.

The parties would go until about 3am on Wednesday. The other neighbors would call him to complain (I could tell because when he received calls, he would pause the iTunes preview, and take the whole phone call over the speakerphone. The walls were thin.) and dude DID NOT FUCKING GET IT. He would invite them to come down and party.

I was excited to move out of there, and while I never liked the Cha Cha Slide to begin with, I now become completely fucking unhinged when I hear the Cha Cha Slide because that shit just puts me in a bad place. You better fuckin' believe I ain't playing that shit at our reception.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I also think that any song, either overtly sexual or with sexual undertones, are rather inappropriate at weddings. "Pour Some Sugar on Me". "Cherry Pie." George Michael songs "Father Figure" and "Faith".
  • MagicInk said:
    Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang. I actually like the song but...I think I'll nix it at my wedding. Yeah, I'm lisiting to right now because I couldn't remember who the hell sang it.

We really don't have much a do not play list going on. I'll dance to anything. Seriously anything. That might earn a few songs a place on the do not play list alone. Because my grandma probably doesn't want to see me dance to Pour Some Sugar or Cherry Pie. Plus I love cheesy songs. Electric slide, YMCA, Hokey Pokey, bring 'em on baby! 

Also kind of picture @lolo883 doing this to the no chicken dance peoples:
    @MagicInk you better believe it!

• single ladies (or really any beyonce) and gangnem style for me.

• Pussy Control..

HATE THAT SONG

• The Fox Song, and of course my nephews are begging me. If only they weren't so adorable..
  • MagicInk said:
    Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang. I actually like the song but...I think I'll nix it at my wedding. Yeah, I'm lisiting to right now because I couldn't remember who the hell sang it.

We really don't have much a do not play list going on. I'll dance to anything. Seriously anything. That might earn a few songs a place on the do not play list alone. Because my grandma probably doesn't want to see me dance to Pour Some Sugar or Cherry Pie. Plus I love cheesy songs. Electric slide, YMCA, Hokey Pokey, bring 'em on baby! 

Also kind of picture @lolo883 doing this to the no chicken dance peoples:
    Btw you just made me really lol so hard I scared the birds from our bird feeder away
  • Hot in herre.  Thong song.

• ACEsqACEsq member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    We have several "blanket" categories on the Do Not Play list. No:

• participation dances (chicken dance, Macarena, electric slide, etc)
    • nothing vulgar because a lot of our guests are older family members and I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable
    • no rap/hip hop, because neither of us appreciate it and I find the culture questionable
    • No Chris Brown
    • No Rihanna

I'm opposed to the last two on principle.

All the Journey the guests want is fine by me, and I think "Don't Stop Believin'" is our closing song, but I love cheesy songs. 
  • EricaCat1EricaCat1 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2014
    I love Eminem but absolutely NONE of his songs are appropriate for a wedding!

Also:

Rodney Carrington's "Dear Penis"
    Denis Leary's "Asshole"
    Dr. Demento's "Dead Puppies"
    Basically anything by Stephen Lynch
    Bloodhound Gang's "A Lapdance is So Much Better When the Stripper is Crying"
    Barnes and Barnes' "Fish Heads"

Then there are some absolutely beautiful songs that are NOT appropriate as wedding songs!  For example:

Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again (Naturally)" (gorgeous song but completely depressing)

Chaka Khan's "Through the Fire" (again, stunning song but inappropriate for a wedding as it is about a relationship in its very early stages and the guy is guarded and not "letting the girl in")

Celine Dion's "To Love You More" (spectacularly beautiful song but not wedding-appropriate as it is really about a love triangle)

Whitney Houston's "Saving All My Love for You" (beautiful song but entirely inappropriate for a wedding as it is about an extramarital affair)

Actually, almost every single one of Whitney Houston's songs are "breaky-uppy" and not wedding appropriate -- including "I Will Always Love You" (listen to the words, people)!  The only exceptions are the comparatively boring and dull "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and "How Will I Know".  There's also "The Greatest Love of All" and "One Moment in Time" which are gorgeous songs and theoretically COULD work at a wedding, but they're a little out of place for a wedding/not very "wedding-y".

• serena569 said:
    Our song choices were secondary to our guests' choices. We picked a few a we had to hear and we included a line on our RSVP cards do they could select songs they wanted to dance to. We had fast and slow songs. We had polkas and waltzes. We had all the choreographed songs. The only instrinstructions to the DJ were that he not play more than 3 of the same kind in a row and if the dance floor was empty he needed to switch the type of music. Our dance floor wad full all night long.
    I plan to do that too! Did it go over well? Could you include everyones?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No overtly sexual songs that are degrading to women. I don't like hearing that stuff any other day, so I don't want to hear it at the wedding.

I also don't want any line dances/participation dances. Every time I hear "YMCA" when I go to a baseball game I just want to run and hide. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards