Wisconsin
Options

ordained relative online to marry us - help with ceremony format/wording please

Hi! We are having a relative marry us and have no clue on what he should say or do. We are having a non-religious ceremony. I think I like the idea of the love letter ceremony. Also, the groom and myself are fairly shy so would prefer not to say lengthly vows. Any ideas on websites/books or wording and format  that you may have used?

Thanks!!!

Re: ordained relative online to marry us - help with ceremony format/wording please

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to do the same exact thing...We havent really gotten to the writing point yet but I will give you the websites I bookmarked that I liked some of the ideas from:

http://www.themarryingguy.com/CivilCeremoniesA.html

http://www.ulc.net/index.php?page=ordain

http://www.rabbiforinterfaithwedding.com/Nonreligious_wedding.html

http://nonreligiousweddings.com/nonreligiouswedding/sample.html

We also plan on using a lot of love quotes and stuff.
    Hope that helps you out some!

In have a question for you...Where did your relative get ordained I just wanted to know for personal reference!

The Wedded Road Wedding Countdown Ticker my read shelf:
    Fran Uselman's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) image
  • Options
    edited December 2011

This is what my officiant came up with, I love it. I love that it doesn't mention God, but is still very traditional. The only thing FI and I did was swap the song lyrics my officiant had for lyrics that suited us more. HTH!

(Processional)

Families and friends of Brittany and Adam, we gather here today to celebrate the union of this couple.  We celebrate not only their love and their commitment, but also the bridge that their marriage will create between two families, two communities, two ways of being in the world.  We celebrate also their courage, to build that bridge and to cross it together to find home and family where none was expected. Much wisdom concerning the joining of two souls has come down to us through all the paths of belief.  Each of us has something we can share with this new couple as they start their married journey together.  It is the combined purpose of everyone who knows this couple is to wish them well on this day. 

(Grandfather: hugs/kiss/handshakes, sits down) Please be seated.

Brittany and Adam, today in many ways is just another step in your collective journeys, and yet it is also a very important point of departure, for from here you do not travel alone, but rather you go forward as one being.  Today you move that infinitesimal step from being “a couple” to being “husband and wife”; from here, you become a single entity inside of a marriage.

In all that will go on in your married life you need to remember how much you love each other this day.  Use that love as a basis for your marriage so that when life deals you poorly you will turn to each other in love for support and comfort and when life rewards you richly, you will turn towards each other to celebrate in that same love.  You should always strive to be outwardly and inwardly loving and forgiving towards each other. 

Your love is the foundation for everything from here on; relish, cherish, and thrive on that thought no matter what may occur, it will sustain you both in ways that will seem mystical and precious when you look back on your lives together.  This is your true gift to each other, a love that will be a tangible, sustaining presence in your lives. 

Silverstein-Still Dreaming

If you are feeling down, you know I feel it, now.

We give each other strength to make it through the darkness.

You take me to a place I never want to leave.

I'm in my deepest dream, I don't ever want to wake up.

But you know our love gets stronger with every word we say.

Stronger every day.

You know I would do anything for you.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm still dreaming.

It seems like everyday, you're always on my mind.

This is how we stay so connected over space and time.

How am I so lucky [that] I found you?

(Best man) May I have the Rings please?  (FLOWER HANDOFF)

All things have a rhythm to them.  The Earth keeps time as it turns around the sun, and the sun cycles around the galaxy.  Time too has a beat of birth and death and rebirth yet again.  Moreover, like all things, marriages move in rhythms as well.  Sometimes the fires will burn brightly, and sometimes they will die down to coals and then spring up again in bright flames.  Sometimes love is warm as the spring, and sometimes it becomes winter cold with troubles and disruption. 

By taking on the symbol of the circle, you make a promise to remember always that all things come around; to keep faith in spring while enduring winter, to never lose hope that the beat will go on and that your love will be renewed.

Every time you take hands and you feel the wedding ring on your partner’s finger, it will remind you again of your love and your bond for one another. 

Bless these rings in your name.  Grant that those that wear them may always have a deep faith in each other.  May they always live together in peace, goodwill, harmony, and love.  These rings by their very nature are blessed and the hands upon which they reside are likewise blessed.

(Pause as Adam and Brittany take each other’s ring from me)

Adam, if it is your wish to be united with Brittany place the ring you hold on her finger.

Brittany, if it is your wish to be united with Adam lace the ring you hold on his finger.

I watched you two interact the other night and there was playfulness, happiness, and love.  I see that you two love each other, that interview the other night was not so much as a time to talk through the details, but a time for me to observe. And what I discovered was this:  It is not often that kindred spirits find each other such that they can be together, but you two have found each other.

Brittany, do you give yourself to Adam and accept the gift of him-self and the love that he gives to you?  Do you pledge to endure all pains and hardships that life may bring you, and share all joys and laughter together as well?  Do you promise to love, honor and cherish him in all your days together?  Brittany, do you take Adam to be your husband? (I do)

Adam, do you give yourself to Brittany and accept the gift of her-self and the love that she gives to you?  Do you pledge to endure all pains and hardships that life may bring you, and share all joys and laughter together as well?  Do you promise to love, honor and cherish her in all your days together?  Adam, do you take Brittany to be your wife? (I do)

As you have come together here of your own free will and declared your commitment to each other.  May your love so endure that its flame remains a guiding light unto you.  I by the powers invested in me by the Church and the State of Wisconsin; I hereby pronounce you husband and wife.

Please kiss as such for the first time.  (Long pause)

(Turn husband and wife towards assembly)

It is my extreme pleasure to introduce for the first time:

Mr. And Mrs. Adam XXXXX!

(Applause) EXIT

• Options
    edited December 2011
    mine is in my bio. it took about 20min. If you use it all I ask is that you credit me.
    KRHagen November 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards