June 2015 Weddings

Journey to get fit and toned for the dress

Hey everybody, my wedding is June 20, 2015. Im trying to lose about 15-20 pounds before my wedding. Anybody have any good tips on exercises, diets, weight loss tips or anything helpful. Would greatly appreciate it. Im a nurse and work nights so my schedule is kinda wacky and makes it hard to make it to the gym, so any suggestions on how to get fit at home is also greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Journey to get fit and toned for the dress

• I am in the same boat but I would like to lose a little more than that.  They only diet that I've ever been successful with is low carb.  Once I start it's like it just melts away.  My schedule is crazy too.  I have a four year old and work an hour and a half ONE WAY from home!!!  I try to hit the gym for cardio when I don't have my daughter.  But I'll do other things like crunches, squats, planks while I'm watching tv.  Good Luck!
  • the only suggestion i have is try not to diet since most diets will fail. losing weight is about changing your lifestyle. eat healthy and try to squeeze in workouts whenever you can. you don't have to do it all in one spurt, you can space out 10 minute workouts here and there.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Im looking into trying the 3 hour diet, where ur supposed to eat every 3 hours and you u use portion control. You have 3 meals about 450 cals, 2 snacks about 100 cals, and one dessert after dinner that's about 50 cals. Im also looking into purchasing that workout DVD the knot has, bridal bootcamp or something, since I dont have much time to hit the gym, plus Im going to try and walk my dog more too.
    Onlyjamielynn: I wish u the best of luck too. Will keep updates on the journey.
  • I just use the app "Lose it!" which makes you count calories. Plus: it's free. Con: it's tedious. But I did lose 17 lbs since April, so I'm going to keep with it!
  • alsunalsun member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I did Jillian Michael's 30 day shred with a friend before her wedding and I really liked it! Obviously you have way more than 30 days, but the workouts are only 20 minutes which I loved (the least amount of time I have to be working out, the better!) and you really feel it the next day. May be a good starting point to get in the routine of working out.
  • Thanks! I'll keep them in mind.
  • I've been doing the Nike fitness app either for Iphone or for the Galaxy. Love it! You can do these exercise anywhere.  Plus there are levels, so you have start off with the easy ones and work your way up.  15min, 30min, or 45 min intense work outs. All can do done with no equirement. This app is worth the try if you don't have a lot of time in you're schedule. As the 30 day challenges are great. My FI and I are doing the 30 day ad challenge. We are starting June 1st!
  • I want to loose 10-15 maybe even 20 lbs in a year but that will prove kind of hard. I will start eating smaller portions, multiple meals a day and healthy once I move to my own place in the next few weeks. If the dream dress can be let out a bit to fit me better the weight loss will definitely be a good thing later on. We should do a group or something to help keep each other motivated!

• I take classes at a barre studio that requires you to sign up for the classes in advance, and if you miss the "cancellation window" (usually about 4 hours before the class) you're charged a fee. It has been a GREAT motivator for me, because it encourages me to go, so I don't pay the fee- and I'm always happy I went!
  • I'm pretty happy with my weight, but I'm trying to be as proactive as I can about keeping the seasonal squish at bay. In the winter I always seem to put an extra layer of fat on top of my hips, and it always comes off once the weather gets nice enough to be outside for long periods of time, but crunch time for the wedding will be in the middle of muck season. I've made a lot of progress in learning to love working out in the past year or so, and I do not want to sabotage it by making killing it at the gym an extra stressor during the end of wedding planning rather than a habit and delight. 

I'm a total geek and gamification works really well for me. I am such an evangelist for fitocracy.com that they should probably pay me (and hey, if you look at it and it looks like something that you'd be into, it would be pretty cool if you'd use this link, I'm a subscriber and I get a month free for every ten people I sign up). I started out just logging cycling, running, and aikido, but the high points/effort ratio of weightlifting seduced me. Two days of serious lifting per week and doing cardio for fun (commuter cycling and the occasional trail run), and I probably have the best body image of my life. 

I'm also trying to improve my nutrition. I tend to undereat, which is just as bad as overeating. Undereating increases the probability of sports-related injuries, and I'm already dealing with patellofemoral pain syndrome in both my knees, idiopathic shoulder pain, and a familial predisposition to shin splints... don't need any help there. I made homemade granola and hummus for the week yesterday, my fiancé made trail mix, and I've portioned out fruit and spinach in bags in the freezer for easy smoothie manufacture. Word to the wise: do not just toss a handful of spinach in your smoothie if you do not have a strong stomach. If another ingredient has a strong red color (like raspberries or strawberries), your smoothie will turn out an interesting shade of cat barf.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards