Options

Why get married anyway?

124»

Re: Why get married anyway?

• Options
    Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014

EDIT : I have switched facepalm GIFs because I do admit that I was not happy with the wording on the last one. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    ^^ Previous gif is unnecessary.  I haven't insulted anyone on this forum, and I would expect that until I do, I don't deserve comments regarding my intelligence or lack thereof.   You may (and are free to) disagree with me, however.

Neither FI or I wanted to be engaged for an extended period.  Some people seem upset I asked his permission to start looking at the legalities -- I checked to see if he was on board with this beyond saying "let's get married some day!"  Abstract idea, not a concrete one.  We need to be on the same page to spare ourselves of false expectations/miscommunications - I don't envy the people on this board that are waiting. The research needed to be done in order to determine the course forward, since our legal situation is complicated - can we get engaged and get married in 2 years or less?  Or must we put it off for 3 years?  What's the logical course forward, considering our preference for a short engagement?  Was this overrationalizing and removing the sentimentality from a romantic gesture?  Possibly.  We're academics. It happens.  The proposal still managed to thrill my cold silicon soul. 

To us, being engaged means making significant motions toward being married - going through the counseling/prep, making the arrangements, etc. -- it's not a hold or reservation or a status symbol for an indeterminate period. If, for legal reasons, we couldn't get married until after I'm done with my degree and return to the US, then there would be no point in us being engaged (and putting up with FMIL and other pressures) until we could legally do so and plan the ceremony/reception/etc. We would have stayed together, but we wouldn't be engaged right now.
  • Options
    ...But she doesn't really need to justify her point to anyone. 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Kelani23 said:
    unflappable

She's engaging in a conversation with people who happen to disagree with her, if she wants anyone to take her seriously or consider her opinion, then yes she does. She's also free to just walk away.

• Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Kelani23 said:

And you don't need to post useless comments that make it clear you have no idea how a message board works but here we are.

• Options
    Kelani23 said:
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards