Chit Chat

So this is a thing...

Apparently now grandma baby showers are a thing - basically AWs throwing themselves a shower because their offspring is having offspring of their own. Given the special snowflakes we see here I can't say I'm too surprised.

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/grandma-baby-showers-are-now-a-thing-164324128.html

Re: So this is a thing...

• My dad is hosting a baby shower from brother and SIL, along with a big brother party for their son (SIL from first marriage, brother adopted).

Poor etiquette technically. But, they don't have baby gear. These are family only with two families who are addicted to spoiling babies. This isn't some sprinkle or shower, we're talking hurricane type storm of indulge da baybee squee! Kid isn't due until mid December and registry info is being begged for. The gifts will come in, so Dad feels he should host a nice party as a preliminary thank you. Because cake in our families is always the right answer.

Plus, new babies get everything. Awesome little boys who are getting a new sibling deserve a little extra notice. But this is only for my FIL & MIL, Dad, two BIL, DF and me.

So I get tacky. But dear Lord. These are for the children, not my dad!

Plus, excuse me, but why can't my dad be thrilled that he's getting another grandchild? Brother and SIL told him about their engagement by their son giving Poppa a new t-shirt "Promoted to Grandpa" and he wears that shirt ever chance he gets. Don't ask for a picture, he's got twenty seven in his wallet. He's thrilled with the monthly weekend, those two go everywhere. He puts many grandmothers to shame for how ecstatic he is over his beloved grandson. Granted, he gets to play with Legos and matchbox cars again, but that's a side benefit.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My MIL had a shower thrown for her when her daughter had the first grandchild.  She didn't solicit the shower at all.  Her co-workers decided to throw it for her because for years she had been contributing to wedding and baby showers for everyone else and they thought it only fair that she get something back.  She didn't get anything major, just the basics to keep at her house when she was babysitting.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wonder if my perpetually baby-crazed mom had known 30 years ago that this would be a thing by now, she wouldn't have saved ALL our baby stuff in preparation for future grandkids. The kids have never stayed the night at her house (2.5 and 1, whom she calls "her babies") but she has a full nursery set up with a crib, toys, books, the works. No shower necessary. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards