Wedding Woes
Options

File under 'Oh sweet Jesus'

Let me preface this with the fact that my IL's are fully informed on the relocation drama we just went through and we couldn't mention moving away without MIL tearing up. 

We're likely moving to the far NW side of town.  It makes sense as that's where DH is going to be working and my office is over that way (even though I WAH, but it's pretty dead-end...I'd have to go back to the office to pursue other opportunities).   Right now we live on the far N/NE side of town.  Traffic from DH's new place to here is murderous at rush hour.  My IL's live on the far east side of the city.   We can get door to door from here to the IL's in 25-30 min.   When we move, it will be more like a solid hour (maybe 45 min...maybe). 

So DH is telling FIL last night where we're looking and all the reasons why. FIL's panties get in a twist...Why?  Because we'll be "an hour away!!!!one!!!" ::forehead slap::  All I could do was laugh and tell DH that I knew this was coming.  I was hoping my IL's would prove me wrong this time. 

Then DH is all, "maybe we can take my parents house hunting with us!" Fuck.no.  I don't need all that, plus...I'm not trying to cater to someone else's schedule.  DH got all butthurt when I was not on board with this plan.  

Both SIL's (DH's sister and BIL's wife) both thought this was all eyeroll worthy.  I coincidentally talked to both of them this morning for other reasons and we discussed this as well.  

Re: File under 'Oh sweet Jesus'

• Options
    In our family sitch, no sibling or sets of parents live any closer than a 12 hour car ride without any potty stops, gas stops or traffic.

Yes, straight up eyeroll worthy
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Omg.  How annoying!
    DH and I used to live on the far west side of Cbus, while my entire family lived in the North or the far NE side of Cbus. About 45 minutes on a good day. You would have thought we lived in Alberta, Canada.  No one would visit us and they made everything into a BFD whenever it was brought up.  So f-ing annoying.  There was also a little prejudice built into it, because if you grew up on the North side, like we all did, West siders are seen as a different species.  I don't know if it's like that in Indy, too.  
    Anyway, they are being big babies, as you are aware.
    AND A BIG FAT "NO" to taking them house hunting?  WTF was your DH thinking?  I think the stress of the last couple of months has gotten to him.
  • Options
    AuntFlo said:

AND A BIG FAT "NO" to taking them house hunting?  WTF was your DH thinking?  I think the stress of the last couple of months has gotten to him.
    Ha.  

DH is all, "But your mom is 'helping' us!" My mom is our agent, FFS.  She's going to get paid for her time.

I should have just kept my mouth shut and been like, "whatever", because I know that in the long-run  that the IL's tagging along for house hunting is probably not going to a reality.   Especially since we're doing it in lower Siberia in their mind.  ;) 
  • Options
    House hunt with you?!  WTH?

But yeah, if they are throwing a fit about the distance, they aren't going to be willing to make the trip 62 times to come see all the houses anyway.
  • Options
    DH and I currently live 2.5 hours south of my parents and < 10 minutes west of his grandmother.

I commute 45 minutes north every day for work.

DH is looking for a new job, closer to where I work. We would relocate when our lease is up in September and be closer to my work and hopefully closer to his (hopefully) new job. 

We'd still be +/- 2 hours south of my parents, but now we'd be about 30 to 45 minutes NW of granny. He made the rookie mistake of telling her this and for the last week, it's been nothing but solid complaining that 'You're moving so far away! You'll never visit anymore! I can't drive that far on my own anymore! I'll never see you again!'

*sigh* This is why we don't tell her things (usually) until AFTER the fact.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I lived ~45 minutes from my parents when we were in Phoenix. I was expected to make the drive weekly, but anytime I hosted anything at my place, it was "so far!" and "such a long drive!" 

It was a straight line on the freeway. Where speeds are regularly 75+mph. 

I had no patience for that nonsense. Every time they started, I just said, "Well, if you don't want to make the drive, we'll miss you." They stopped after about the third time of that. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I like the hour 15 minute mark.  Enough for the kids to get a little nap and it's not annoying long.  But it's far enough people don't just pop in.  2 hrs sucked because people still think you are close enough to be there but it's an annoying ass drive.

Heck no to taking the ILs.  I know my MIL was bent that she didn't see any houses, but my parents and FIL did.  Yep, my mom was the realtor and FIL is a contractor.  They had a reason to be there.

• Options
    We're 30 minutes from my parents and an hour from husband's parents.

The rest of my family lives in California and Washington. So... really far.

• Options

Can't wait for our wedding...we'll be 8 hrs from my dad and stepmom, halfway across the country from my mom, and his mom lives in PR.  Not a bad deal for me, although stepmom constantly whines about the distance.  That just reinforces one of my many reasons for being stoked about the move.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Um...I live, like, 2,000 miles away from both of my parents. And my brother. An hour away would be soooo lovely. They should be happy you live on the same continent (FI lived in Europe for 5 years). My parents have never tried to pull the apron strings. They lived most of their adult lives in the Midwest with their parents on the East Coast, so we maybe got to see them once a year. I'm so close with both my parents, but they have always encouraged me to spread my wings, so to speak. As cheesy as that sounds. So living a day's travel away from them? I have done so for about 8 years. Do I wish I lived closer? Yes! Did I move even further away from them when that was the best opportunity for me? They helped me move.
  • Options
    We live 3 hours from my parents and ALL my family. But his job keeps him here, the closest we'd be able to move to my family is 2 hours. We used to be 5 mins from his parents, and moved to 30 mins away from his and that caused a BIG stink. They want us to move in across the street like Everybody Loves Raymond.
  • Options
    We live a 2.5-3.5 hour *flight* from all of the family (mine in Pittsburgh, his in Philly Area and Lancaster.)

I think the ILs were upset when we moved to Houston (especially since I was pregnant at the time, and we only lived 2.5 miles from them), but they got over it. DK will still get some crap over not visiting more than once a year (especially from the older of his 2 sisters), but considering that my parents, my sister, and MIL/FIL are the only ones who have visited us in TX more than one time in the last ~4 years, I really don't think she has room to talk.
  • Options
    I commute over an hour one way to work every day and my parents live literally down the street from my work. They're constantly asking FI and I to drive in for get-togethers on our days off, and they will gladly drive the hour and a half to the family cottage every single weekend but it's a BFD for them to drive to our place once a year for Thanksgiving dinner. It irks me like you wouldn't believe. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards