Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Three Very Different Bridesmaids?

According to my mother I am going about picking gifts for my bridesmaids all wrong because the gifts don't "commemorate" the wedding. I asked her to explain to me what sort of gift I should be buying for each of them and she said jewelry to wear during that day; however, she is buying them all necklaces to wear, and more than likely those will never be worn again (none of them wear jewelry).

All my girls are very different. I have one who is 26 and a working mother- A, one who is 19 and is a college student/teacher's assistant- T, and one who is 23 and a full-time college student- H (who is the only girly one out of the three).

My fiance ordered all the guys engraved pilsner glasses, which is fine because they all drink. Of my girls, only A drinks, and she loves wine. So far I have purchased her a "novelty" wine glass, two wine wall decors, a specialty wine stopper, and a Chinese zodiac coffee mug. As for H, she loves bags, pink, scarves, and working out. I've so far bought her a personalized tote bag, a scarf, a pink damask 'Cat Mom' coffee mug, and a Chinese zodiac coffee mug. When it comes to T, she likes the color blue and coffee, so I've also bought a Chinese zodiac coffee mug for her, a blue 'Dog Mom' coffee mug, and a blue spill-proof coffee travel mug. I plan on doing something more but I haven't worked it all out yet.

My mother feels that these are inappropriate and seem more like birthday or Christmas gifts. While I agree that, yes, they COULD be bought for Christmas, I really don't have many other options that I can afford (I'm a poor college student!). I wanted to include the mugs because my fiance and I are having a coffee and tea themed wedding, as those are beverages we can't live without!

For the time being, A has been acting as my stand-in 'MOH' as my man-of-honor lives out of town and hasn't been able to help much. I wanted to get A a very nice bottle of wine as her 'big' gift. The tote bag is H's 'big' gift, and I haven't figured out what to do as T's 'big' gift. I was thinking that, to make it a little more cohesive, I would get T and A a cute tote bag from a department store near me, but not as fancy as H's so her bag stands out, and fill all their bags with all their stuff.

Am I really and truly going about this the wrong way? If I am, please, someone give me some better ideas. They are all so different and I really don't know them well enough to delve deeper into their souls and draw out inspiration.

Re: Three Very Different Bridesmaids?

• Options
    BlergbotBlergbot member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    You SHOULD be shopping for them as if it were their birthdays. Every gift should be specific to that person. Any jewelry you buy them to wear on your wedding day (you by NO means need to do this) should be in addition to a gift. Since you are going with mugs and things, could you buy them either a fancy brand of coffee or tea, according to their preference?

Edit: clarification
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Nobody needs a gift that will memorialize your wedding day.  You are correct in shopping as if it is their birthday/Christmas.  I have been in many weddings and ALL of the personalized wedding stuff has ended up at Goodwill.  Most people have no need for a "Bridesmaid" shirt or a glass with your wedding date.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    I have never used a "wedding day commemorative gift" for any wedding I have been in. 

Rarely do I wear wedding jewellery again, as it tends to not really be my style. The best BM gift I received was a nice bottle of wine, tickets to the ballet and a heartfelt letter. That was so perfect for me! Also,  I took the bride to the ballet as my date for a fun 1on1 catch up post-wedding. But that worked because the bride knew me so well and knew that I would love that.
  • Options
    Those sound like thoughtful gifts to me.

I never understood why anyone would want to have stuff that commemorates another person's wedding...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If you want to add something wedding related what about adding a picture frame with the items and make sure that at your wedding you get a nice shot of you & each girl individually to put in the frame after the wedding?
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! You've eased my mind. I'm going to keep my plan and make each gift set individualized for each girl. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Your gifts sounds extremely well thought out and personal. In past weddings I've been in we got jewelry, and I can't even tell you where it is lol. I'm getting my ladies, personalize gifts, my 19 year niece is one of my bridemaids and both of us love Nightmare before Christmas, so her gift reflects that, as will the others's gifts will reflect our connection with eachother and why they are special to me, not my wedding day.
  • Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Your ideas are great! Trust your instincts here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards