Second Weddings

Grandparents

My FH has 2 kids (13 and 10) and we were discussing "what will they call my parents?" The kids already have 2 sets of grandparents and I am clueless what they should call my parents. I've been around the kids for the past two years and they call me by my first name. We were thinking to have the kids call my parents by their first names. But last night my mother insisted they should call her "Nana" just like my brothers kids do. My future step kids have never met my mother (they have met my dad) and just like it's taken time to develop a relationship with them it will take time for my parents to develop a relationship too. They already have a "Nana" and it seems like forcing them to call my mom "Nana" might cause a stir in the relationship that I'm working so hard to develop with them. Any thoughts or suggestions on what the kids should call their step grandparents?

Re: Grandparents

• I would introduce them like this.
    "Kids, this is my mom and dad, Brenda and Bob Lucas."
    Then let your mom say, "please call me nana."
    They can then choose to do so or not. If she suggests it I think it will feel less forced and they might prefer it. I was always uncomfortable calling people my grandparents age by there first name. I often call my friends grandparents "grandma" or "grandpa."
    You could tell the kids after the meeting that they can call them whatever they are comfortable with and hope your mom does not push the issues if they choose not to call her nana.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Great idea! Thank you!!!
  • It took my future step kids some time but they now both pretty much call my parents grandma and grandpa. But they very much have that relationship with them, we see my parents usually weekly sometimes more, they babysit and they treat my future step kids the same as they treat my biological kids. It happened all on it's own, we never forced the issue or even suggested it. 
  • My grandchildren have 5 sets of grandparents including 2 that are great grandparents. There are two of us that prefer Nana so for their great Nana they use her last name too. (Nana Smith) Maybe that could be an option with your mom?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards