Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Gifts at rehearsal dinner

We will have about 30 people in attendance at our rehearsal dinner and of those, about half would be traditionally gift recipients - parents and wedding party members. I find that somewhat awkward given that half would receive gifts and half would not, including some kids since not all are included in the wedding party.

I don't think we are giving our parents gifts at the RD either because we are thinking either photo albums or something cool from our honeymoon would be better gifts than anything else we could come up with right now. In the meantime, I'm thinking we will give them cards and letters to thank them and tell them we love them.

Has anyone else given gifts outside of the rehearsal dinner? When and how did you make that happen? Did anyone think it was odd that gifts weren't given at the RD?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gifts at rehearsal dinner

• Since my gift recipients will be staying at the hotel with me in my suite, I'm just going to give them their gifts while we're getting ready to go for drinks after rehearsal dinner. I like that it will just be me and them.
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• As a BM's I've gotten a gift the morning of the wedding. You could also hand them out at the actual rehearsal before you head out for dinner. I don't think I'd be sitting there being like, "Where is my present?!"

It's not a huge deal though; do whatever works for you. 
  • I have been to RDs where I was in and not in the wedding party.  As someone who was not in the wedding party I never found not receiving a gift weird or odd or made me uncomfortable.  Most people know that the wedding party gets gifts so I don't think they would be surprised if you handed the gifts out during your RD, nor would they be stamping their foot screaming "where is my gift?!"

But if you want to hand out the gifts at another time, that is fine.  You can hand them out the morning of your wedding or you can give them to your BMs as you see them in the weeks leading up to your wedding.

• My brother and SIL handed out gifts at their rehearsal dinner.  I was a bridesmaid in their wedding and received one.  It didn't make me feel strange, but if you think that's not a good time, I'd find a private moment for you to distribute your gifts.
  • Okay, thanks for the feedback. I think we'll give gifts privately instead of at the RD and acknowledge the parents and wedding party members via a brief "thank you" speech before dinner is served.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I gave my local bridesmaid her gift and card in the weeks leading up to the wedding privately, took her out to dinner, and thanked her. I mailed my OOT bridesmaids their gifts a couple weeks before the wedding with a heartfelt letter. Each girl received something different and non-wedding related.

The idea of giving gifts at the rehearsal dinner felt too much like a show to me and I wanted to do it privately. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards