Attire & Accessories Forum

I can't find vests ANYWHERE!! Needing help :(

So the count down is on with only 32 days left, and I am starting to get a touch panicked. My wedding is very small, casual, and going to be outside in the summer, so my fiancé and I decided it would be best to go with vests and no jacket for the wedding. The problem here has become locating vests in the right color. I'm not wanting anything complicated, I am looking for brown vests. Any shade ranging from light tan to chocolate brown, and pretty much anything in between would go perfectly fine with our colors... but I can't find any! It is note worthy that I am looking for vests that do NOT have the silky back like the type pretty much only worn under a jacket or like the ones they rent with tuxes. I'm in Canada right now, but I will be back in America in a week, so a store in either country would be fine. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: I can't find vests ANYWHERE!! Needing help :(

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    There are two reasons  you are having trouble finding these.  First, these are not something that is fashionable or proper to wear.  Vests are not properly worn without a jacket.  They fit close to the body, and will be uncomfortable to wear in summer.  Almost all suit vests are satin backed to fit more easily under a jacket.  They are not designed to be worn alone.  You would have to have them custom made.
    A much better choice would be to have your groom and groomsmen wear linen jackets with brown pants.  They will be much more comfortable, and they will correctly dressed for your wedding.  The guys can take off their jackets at the reception to feel even more comfortable.  @Doeydo will maybe come along and show you some pictures.  I'm not good with that.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • doeydodoeydo member
    CMGragain said:
    There are two reasons  you are having trouble finding these.  First, these are not something that is fashionable or proper to wear.  Vests are not properly worn without a jacket.  They fit close to the body, and will be uncomfortable to wear in summer.  Almost all suit vests are satin backed to fit more easily under a jacket.  They are not designed to be worn alone.  You would have to have them custom made.
    A much better choice would be to have your groom and groomsmen wear linen jackets with brown pants.  They will be much more comfortable, and they will correctly dressed for your wedding.  The guys can take off their jackets at the reception to feel even more comfortable.  @Doeydo will maybe come along and show you some pictures.  I'm not good with that.

@CMGragain pardon me?  You're "not good" with me posting pictures of more casual groomsmen's attire choices?  image
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    doeydo said:
    CMGragain said:

@CMGragain pardon me?  You're "not good" with me posting pictures of more casual groomsmen's attire choices?  image
    Meddler MobKaz here.  If I am not mistaken, I believe what CMGragain meant was that if she could, she would post pictures of appropriate attire looks, but that her technology "know how" prevents her from doing so.  You, on the other hand, tend to follow your comments up with pictures (often a plethora) to help clarify your points.  I think she was actually trying to compliment you.

**Apologies to both of you if I misread either comment.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    Anywho, if you decide against vests or can't find them, below are some alternative attire choices:
    image.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    MobKaz said:
    doeydo said:
    CMGragain said:

Meddler MobKaz here.  If I am not mistaken, I believe what CMGragain meant was that if she could, she would post pictures of appropriate attire looks, but that her technology "know how" prevents her from doing so.  You, on the other hand, tend to follow your comments up with pictures (often a plethora) to help clarify your points.  I think she was actually trying to compliment you.

**Apologies to both of you if I misread either comment.
    Oh.  Sorry @CMGragain if I misunderstood your post/tone.
  • Try looking in non-tradional stores. Not just your usual department stores. Places where college kids / hipsters would shop.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    Try Kohls. 
  • So I did a little googling and it looks like all vests have the satin back, even ones that aren't part of a suit: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/mens-formal-vests?origin=leftnav
  • Check JC Penny also

edited June 2014
    My husband has a new computer.  He just put it on line yesterday.  I don't think he will let me use it for a while.  I have this tiny netbook,.  I can post text, but that is about it.
    As I posted earlier, vests are designed to be worn under jackets.  This is why they have satin backs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yeah sorry OP, they can't be found without a satin back because they're not intended to be worn alone. Pinterest lied to you.

• My guys have opted to wear vests without jackets. I left it all up to them and they all already own vests they like and want to wear, so I'm good with it. But even their vests have shiny backs.

See the side of werewolf boy's vest there? You can kind of see they shiny on the back. Frankly I like the look of vests without jackets and I like how the shiny-ish fabric looks. 
  • If you really want vests, you might just want to come to terms with the shiny back thing. Vests are popular for weddings these days but most have the shiny part and no one would focus on that. more traditional people might be a little surprised to see the vests at first, because vests without coats are not traditional, but they won't be thinking "they should have gotten the vests without the shiny back"
  • KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited June 2014
    We tried looking everywhere for tan vests and didn't find them b/c our guys were going to go without jackets.  Men's Wearhouse has some Calvin Klein ones for purchase that are stupid overpriced...they had that shiny back, but we didn't really care.  
    We just decided that it was easier for our guys to rent suits.  We found some lightweight ones at a local rental place and they even had the same coral for their ties as the girls dresses.  

ETA: We checked the following stores near us for vests with no luck: Macys, Nordstrom (they had two actually, but they were $175 each), JCPenney, Kohl's, Men's Wearhouse, Jos A Bank, Van Heusen, Dillard's, Belk, Von Maur (they had three, all over $150 each), Sears...you might have better luck at stores like these near you.  We only looked for tan, not brown.

edited June 2014
    Mitch617 said:
    If you really want vests, you might just want to come to terms with the shiny back thing. Vests are popular for weddings these days but most have the shiny part and no one would focus on that. more traditional people might be a little surprised to see the vests at first, because vests without coats are not traditional, but they won't be thinking "they should have gotten the vests without the shiny back"
    I think we traditional people would be thinking, why are the men only half dressed?  Where are their jackets?

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/lauren-by-ralph-lauren-linen-sport-coat?ID=1285144&CategoryID=16499#fn=sp=1&spc=575&ruleId=77&slotId=3

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c50953/haggar-1926-originals-tailored-fit-dress-separates-men.jsp

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • jenna8984 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Mitch617 said:
    If you really want vests, you might just want to come to terms with the shiny back thing. Vests are popular for weddings these days but most have the shiny part and no one would focus on that. more traditional people might be a little surprised to see the vests at first, because vests without coats are not traditional, but they won't be thinking "they should have gotten the vests without the shiny back"
    I think we traditional people would be thinking, why are the men only half dressed?  Where are their jackets?

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/lauren-by-ralph-lauren-linen-sport-coat?ID=1285144&CategoryID=16499#fn=sp=1&spc=575&ruleId=77&slotId=3

I know you are older from a time when this would be considered inappropriate and half dressed. But sometimes you have to give up this fight because it is what a lot of people now like and it's perfectly acceptable. Times change. They probably would have said that strapless or colored dresses were taboo at the time you got married but now they are normal and you don't go around telling a girl that she's "half dressed" because she doesn't have sleeves.

Agreed that older or more traditional people might first see it as half-dressed. But my point is, they won't be questioning the look because of the shiny back vs no shiny back. And people who are less surprises to see the vests won't focus on that aspect either.
  • No, times haven't changes that much.  I can accept the sleeveless thing, the colored inviitations, the huge expensive reception, but you won't find this dress suggestion on any responsible menswear site except pinterest.  I was responding to the other poster about what traditional people would be thinking.  If the OP's idea was really that popular, she wouldn't be having so much trouble finding what she wants in a menswear store.
    I recognize that brides can choose anything they wish, but when you refer to "traditional people", I think I'm a pretty good representative.

PS.  I hope, for future brides' sake, that sleeves come back in fashion someday!  Not everybody has great upper arms that they want to show! ;-)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree with other posters that you may just need to come to terms with the shiny back of the vest. I believe the reason that it is satin type material is so that the jacket worn over top of it can easily move around without getting caught on rough material. Or you could forgo the vests and have the guys wear a nice crisp white dress shirt and then get them matching ties in your color scheme.

• CMGragain said:
    No, times haven't changes that much.  I can accept the sleeveless thing, the colored inviitations, the huge expensive reception, but you won't find this dress suggestion on any responsible menswear site except pinterest.  I was responding to the other poster about what traditional people would be thinking.  If the OP's idea was really that popular, she wouldn't be having so much trouble finding what she wants in a menswear store.
    I recognize that brides can choose anything they wish, but when you refer to "traditional people", I think I'm a pretty good representative.

PS.  I hope, for future brides' sake, that sleeves come back in fashion someday!  Not everybody has great upper arms that they want to show! ;-)
    If you haven't noticed sleeves and higher necklines are making a come back in wedding dresses and you can thank the Duchess of Cambridge for that.

Look, I get your position but in the end how the wedding party is dressed is not going to hurt anyone except for those that wish to judge it and make a big deal out of it.  Just like guests are allowed to wear whatever they want so are the wedding party.  If you don't like the outfits then fine but you aren't physically going to be hurt or put out by it.  And yes times have changed.  Styles come in and out of fashion constantly.  There is no right and wrong when it comes to fashion.  I would love to know who this God of Fashion is that made up these "commandments" that you are so keen on having everyone follow.  Fashion is a way of expressing yourself and your style, people can choose to like it or they can choose to find it silly, either way there really aren't any "rules" (unless you are at work or school with a dress code but since weddings don't have dress codes then that kind of is a moot point).

• In addition to the photos posted above, you might consider having the groomsmen wear just pants, white shirts, and suspenders. It's a similar, half-casual style to the vest thing. I've seen photos where the GM have that while that groom has a suit (with jacket) to set him apart.
  • Menswear stores, while possibly clinging to older traditions, simply don't have incentives to change. They want you to buy more, not less! Why provide a vest for a reasonable price when you could just buy an entire 3-piece suit instead? Bridal fashion has evolved more quickly because brides will buy what they want in a dress (if they are buying a wedding gown) and not necessarily what "has been". Suits are always in style and can be used for more than just weddings. Also, think about who actually buys suits in menswear stores. Older, more traditional people who hold themselves to a higher standard of dress, and young professionals who need them for work (likely to conform to a dress standard set by an older generation of managers). Very rarely do younger people wear suits even to church, but older people will. That's why I think that menswear has not changed as much as bridal fashion. It hasn't needed to change and is still dominated by more traditional and more mature demographics. Do the clothes people choose to wear make them any less married? It seems victimless as far as etiquette goes. Some more traditional folks may not exactly approve, but at the end of the day does it matter?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• I did type paragraphs, but TK ate them I guess. Sorry.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• I'm 24 and I'm with CMGr. I think the shiny back vests look so odd. There are so many sexy alternatives! 
  • Ladies, I remember when powder blue tuxedos with ruffled shirts were the height of fashion.  I don't know many '70s brides who are happy with their wedding pictures.  I am simply trying to save today's brides from making the same mistake that so many of my contemporaries did.  Classic always works.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • AnnaLens said:
    So the count down is on with only 32 days left, and I am starting to get a touch panicked. My wedding is very small, casual, and going to be outside in the summer, so my fiancé and I decided it would be best to go with vests and no jacket for the wedding. The problem here has become locating vests in the right color. I'm not wanting anything complicated, I am looking for brown vests. Any shade ranging from light tan to chocolate brown, and pretty much anything in between would go perfectly fine with our colors... but I can't find any! It is note worthy that I am looking for vests that do NOT have the silky back like the type pretty much only worn under a jacket or like the ones they rent with tuxes. I'm in Canada right now, but I will be back in America in a week, so a store in either country would be fine. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Try this web site http://www.gentlemansemporium.com, I know they sell the vest without the satin back. As LARPer I have seem many men order from this site as they have the vests without the satin, most do but they have many without. I will warn you they aren't cheap per vest but I have seen them hold up very well in game so for a wedding I don't forsee many problems.
  • I never understand the whole "you'll hate your pictures in 20 years." Even tux styles change. Something at your wedding will be out of style. It's not that big a deal. It's part of the reason I chose a dress I loved instead of a "classic." Because it'll be out of style then anyway so I might as well wear what I want.
  • I like the idea of white shirts with the same color tie, personally. Had a friend go this route for her wedding party who was on a tight budget. It looked super, really easy option!

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • CMGragain said:
    Ladies, I remember when powder blue tuxedos with ruffled shirts were the height of fashion.  I don't know many '70s brides who are happy with their wedding pictures.  I am simply trying to save today's brides from making the same mistake that so many of my contemporaries did.  Classic always works.
    My FI's dad and wedding party wore powder blue tuxedos. FI's parents still love the pictures. Attire is a good indicator of the times and it is changing constantly. Just because the outfits are outdated, doesn't mean you can't love the pictures and the memories associated with it. Sometime it even provides a good laugh.

And while we're on the subject, I look at pictures from 3 years ago and wonder, "what the hell was I hinking?" It is not just subjective to weddings or 20 years later. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards