Moms and Maids

Who stand next to me Maid or Matron?

I am having a Maid and Matron of honor in my bridal party.  I have 2 sisters that I couldnt just choose one so I decided to do both.  My older sister is my matron and my younger is my maid.  What is the proper line up for that? My mom insists that my maid should stand next to me but the height difference with the Best Man will be over a foot and my younger sister has mental disabilities and I dont know if the Best Man can handle it but this means so much to her.  I plan on having my maid hold my bouquet and my matron handling my dress and having my matron sign the marriage license. I just want to know the proper line up so know what to do.

Re: Who stand next to me Maid or Matron?

• I am having a Maid and Matron of honor in my bridal party.  I have 2 sisters that I couldnt just choose one so I decided to do both.  My older sister is my matron and my younger is my maid.  What is the proper line up for that? My mom insists that my maid should stand next to me but the height difference with the Best Man will be over a foot and my younger sister has mental disabilities and I dont know if the Best Man can handle it but this means so much to her.  I plan on having my maid hold my bouquet and my matron handling my dress and having my matron sign the marriage license. I just want to know the proper line up so know what to do.
    It doesn't matter.  If you really have no preference then just flip a coin and whoever wins gets to stand directly next to you.

A height difference should not matter at all.

And what do you mean you don't think the best man can handle your sisters mental disability?  All he would need to do is walk with her back up the aisle once the ceremony is done.

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Go with the sister you are closer to. I have two sisters and they will be my Maid and Matron of Honor but I'm slightly closer to one over the other so it's clear to me who will stand next to me at the wedding (matron and then maid). Flip a coin if you really can't make a choice. I don't see how the height difference you mentioned is all that important. Why do you think the GM standing next to the BM will better be able to handle your sister's disabilities? Are they really so severe that she won't be able to process back down the aisle without aid or supervision?

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Let them decide how they line up. Tell them you're fine either way. They can work it out themselves. I got that advice before I was married on TK and I am so grateful for it! When I was trying to plan the order of my bridesmaids. I didn't want to tier them regarding how close we were or how I loved them or by height. Nothing felt right. I told them it didn't matter to me, and they worked it out amongst themselves. It was no big deal. 
  • Maid and Matron of Honor is the same title. Matron means she's married, maid means she single. It doesn't matter which one stands closest to you. You could draw straws or let them decide. 

If your disabled sister needs someone familiar to walk with her, have the two MsOH walk in the processional together. The best man can enter with the groom and officiant. That's how I've seen it done at most of the wedding I've attended. The other bridesmaids and groomsmen could walk in pairs or single file. 

• csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

I didn't know how to decide this either, so I didn't.  At the rehearsal the Pastor was lining everyone up and called for the maid of honor to be with the best man.  The maid of honor stepped up for it, not the matron. 

Like lc07 said, this can just work itself out with them deciding at the right time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards