Offbeat Weddings

Planning Sailor Moon inspired wedding

I am an unashamed geek -- and my fiance is too, though more on the Dragon Ball Z side.^.~ He left wedding plans to me and gave his blessing as long as he didn't have to wear anything weird. My girlhood fantasy being Sailor Moon, my nickname being Star, love of moon&star themes, my love of Japan ~ it just incorporates so many themes that I love. I've been trying to find a classy blend with tributes to the theme. I'd love to share what I've been planning and welcome any feedback and ideas ~ <3

I bought my wedding dress almost 3 years ago, but we are having the Bridesmaids dresses custom made and these were my sketched ideas. My Matron of honor (Mercury) will have the added slash. I have two flower girls will hopefully be in chibi-usa's princess dress. And for the groomsmen, we were planning mandarin jackets (more military style as a nod to the generals) in gray.

I splurged since these are no longer available but they are such a nice quality I want to incorporate them in the bouquets somehow AND get to double as bridesmaids gifts (cell phone ear phone charms). I got these in the mail and they are so pretty!

imageimage
I knew I wanted to draw or design the invitation myself and for it to be classy but still have the theme elements I love. I found a base decorative border, erased that I didn't want, drew in Sakura blossoms, stars, the moon/heart design at the top, the crystal and my fiance and I as a little chibi wedding couple. Our names are in a Sailor Moon inspired font that I found. Since my boss who has an invitation business will be printing these for me, I splurged a little and found silver star magnets! So I will include one with each invite. They're thin and the perfect size.

This cake topper was one of the first things I found and my heart was sold. We are planning for a small tiered cake, pearly iridescent with columns reminiscent of the moon palace and cherry blossoms between to tie in with our centerpieces.

I've gotten some pearly star confetti for the cake table, a small cherry blossom LED tree for decoration somewhere, and some other random things. I can update any other significant ideas or plans as I go. <3

Re: Planning Sailor Moon inspired wedding

• As long as your BM's are cool with their dress styles, you are good to go. 

And I'm super glad you're not trying to do a wedding dress like what all the Usagi/Mamrou dream wedding scenes had. Oh god that was 90's terribleness. 

So! I don't have these, but I do have some of the Doctor Who/Zelda ones, and they are pretty sweet
    http://warpzoneprints.com/collections/sailor-moon 

CAUSE HOLY SHIT SAILOR MOON COOKIES.

And are you excited for the new anime! Less then a month!

Anniversary
  • That's cute and a good way to incorporate what you love. However, it's a really, really bad idea to put any personal info (like your name) on here. Someone did that before and assholes on this website attacked the bride on her wedding website/outside the know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• that cake topper is so pretty
  • *jaw drops* That is amazing! Your wedding is going to be really cool. :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• You are awesome. And I have to ask, how the heck did you find that cake topper and where was it? O_O

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really wanted to do this for my wedding, but my fiance wouldnt let me. He absolutly hated the idea, saying he really wanted something more traditional :( but oh well, heres some ideas though <3 Good luck and congratulations!!! 
    -Bunny

• Such an awesome idea, but I'll say I'm partial to it since it's our wedding theme as well (August 30, 2014) :D.

Our primary colors are pink, red, aqua blue, orange, and green.

For our bridesmaids we are going with a simple black dress but having shoes and flowers that make the scout we are matching them to.

The gentlemen will be wearing a black tux, black vest, white shirt with the boutonniere and bowtie matching their corresponding bridesmaid.

The bride will be wearing a white dress and holding light pink flowers that represent Serena's aura from the first season.

I'll be mimicking Tuxedo mask a bit wearing white vest, white shirt, black jacket with a red flower.

Our wedding is inside in a reception hall so to bring some of the natural aspect it to it, we've built a flower arch that features the prominent colors in the accent flowers. Behind the arch we'll have a centerpiece of sakura blossoms.

The tables will have a glass wine type bottle (colored to the theme) that we have sakura blossoms and LED lights in. The top will reference a planet name for our seating chart.

Our cake topper is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/wedding-cake-topper-Sailor-Moon-Tuxedo-Mask-Anime-/181410259215

Our outside photos will be here: http://universalwebsites.theknot.com.s3.amazonaws.com/UniversalWebsites/WYSYWYGImage/4887684544132739/1981520/med/2012-05-2915_34_17.jpg The columns should give us the "kingdom" type look.

One of our difficult points was the music. I'd strongly recommend looking at http://sailormusic.net/ They have most of the back ground music for the series/music. We opted to use "Memorial Box Sets (10 disks)" for our background music.

Looking forward to seeing your wedding progress!!!!

• edited July 2014
    Your ideas sound great!  I'm also a huge Sailor Moon fan and had a Sailor Moon cake topper at my wedding.  Here's a couple of pictures.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh wow so many comments! I got distracted by a few conventions that were back to back. ^.^;;
    I'm getting my wedding invites in the mail tomorrow! My boss does invitations so printed them for me. I have the star magnets for them too and shimmery pink envelopes. For those who pointed out, the address was made up but I clouded out our names and city for privacy.

chibiyui said:
    As long as your BM's are cool with their dress styles, you are good to go. 

And I'm super glad you're not trying to do a wedding dress like what all the Usagi/Mamrou dream wedding scenes had. Oh god that was 90's terribleness. 

So! I don't have these, but I do have some of the Doctor Who/Zelda ones, and they are pretty sweet
    http://warpzoneprints.com/collections/sailor-moon 

CAUSE HOLY SHIT SAILOR MOON COOKIES.

And are you excited for the new anime! Less then a month!

LOL Those were such 90s wedding dresses! I got the dress before planning my Sailor Moon twist otherwise might of found something closer to her princess dress. But I like it for what it is and not what I want the theme to be. :) And my bridesmaids are totally on board. My best friend though twisted my arm we got some tiara's a craft artist made at a con. I like them but maybe just for some photos and not for the ceremony, we'll see. ^^ Also found this pink crystally wreathe someone made.

The cookies link didn't work :'(

And since it's after, I can say I love the new Sailor Moon Crystal so far! Minus maybe Sailor Moon's transformation scene lol But I recently bought and read the manga so I'm loving how close and true it is staying to the source. Mamoru is even dreamier too ^.~

You are awesome. And I have to ask, how the heck did you find that cake topper and where was it? O_O

I stumbled on the cake topper on pinterest when browsing but I found it on amazon too! :D Just google moon cake topper you should be able to find some sellers.

I really wanted to do this for my wedding, but my fiance wouldnt let me. He absolutly hated the idea, saying he really wanted something more traditional :( but oh well, heres some ideas though <3 Good luck and congratulations!!!

Awe sorry to hear that! Mine just said he didn't care what I did as long as he doesn't have to wear anything weird (no top hats though lol). ^^ I always loved their princess dresses. I think for my two flower girl's I'm actually going to have them commission two of Chibi-usa's princess dresses online.

Such an awesome idea, but I'll say I'm partial to it since it's our wedding theme as well (August 30, 2014) :D.

Our primary colors are pink, red, aqua blue, orange, and green.

For our bridesmaids we are going with a simple black dress but having shoes and flowers that make the scout we are matching them to.

The gentlemen will be wearing a black tux, black vest, white shirt with the boutonniere and bowtie matching their corresponding bridesmaid.

The bride will be wearing a white dress and holding light pink flowers that represent Serena's aura from the first season.

I'll be mimicking Tuxedo mask a bit wearing white vest, white shirt, black jacket with a red flower.

Our wedding is inside in a reception hall so to bring some of the natural aspect it to it, we've built a flower arch that features the prominent colors in the accent flowers. Behind the arch we'll have a centerpiece of sakura blossoms.

The tables will have a glass wine type bottle (colored to the theme) that we have sakura blossoms and LED lights in. The top will reference a planet name for our seating chart.

Our cake topper is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/wedding-cake-topper-Sailor-Moon-Tuxedo-Mask-Anime-/181410259215

Our outside photos will be here: http://universalwebsites.theknot.com.s3.amazonaws.com/UniversalWebsites/WYSYWYGImage/4887684544132739/1981520/med/2012-05-2915_34_17.jpg The columns should give us the "kingdom" type look.

One of our difficult points was the music. I'd strongly recommend looking at http://sailormusic.net/ They have most of the back ground music for the series/music. We opted to use "Memorial Box Sets (10 disks)" for our background music.

Looking forward to seeing your wedding progress!!!!

Yay I love sharing ideas! And can I say that's an awesome location for photos outside! I'm jealous. At a golf resort will have to see if they have any niche places that would be nice on the grounds.

I was thinking of our groomsen in gray with mandarin jackets (a subtle nod to the generals) but will have to see how that goes. My fiance gave me the look when I said that. ^^; It still sounds normal enough to me.

I'd love to see what you do with the centerpieces. I was thinking of doing planets for the table names too, but thinking of making mini sakura trees for each table.

I think I have one or two of the Memorial Box Albums I'll have to check out the others. Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if I can have music for the outdoor ceremony but if it isn't too hard I'll probably customize that music as well.

Your ideas sound great!  I'm also a huge Sailor Moon fan and had a Sailor Moon cake topper at my wedding.  Here's a couple of pictures.
    Ooh I love the cake and the topper! I might show that to the lady doing our cake.
  • I am super glad that Mamrou was finally not in a tuxedo in his day to day life this episode. First episode I got, second episode, dude, your sunglasses are doing a better job at hiding your identity then your mask in your super hero form. Seriously. 

Sorry about the link. Try this http://warpzoneprints.com/collections/sailor-moon

Anniversary
  • I love seeing the stuff posted on here and have shared other ideas with my SO.

I've attached a few pictures of the different items we have at our wedding. Everything is still a work in progress..we have until the 30th right haha.

I don't have a picture of the toppers for the bottles, but what we decided to do was take a picture of each of the senshi and put the text above it. We printed two cards of each, cut, and taped together. They will be stuck on "craft wire" on top of each bottle. We mocked up the seating chart and think it'll work alright with our just number (just shy of 100).

We have also finished our goodie bags now. In honor of Serena's love for snacks we went to a local "world market" and found different candies/cookies and bundled them together.

And....I'm enjoy Crystal as well :) Mamoru was ready to party in the first episode in the tux! New episode this Saturday, but unfortunately we'll be at GenCon cosplaying...you guessed it..Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask!

• Oh, wow. I'm going to show this to my best friend. I have a feeling she'll want this theme for her wedding. We grew up addicted to the show, lol!
  • so cool, I'm drooling over this thread, my FI would never agree to this so be sure to keep us updated so I can live vicariously through you
  • I love everything about this thread.  If I were going to have an underlying 'theme' for my future wedding I'd totally be all about this.

P.S. I hate waiting two weeks between episodes!  I'm always super sad on the off-Saturday.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Oh I just love this so much! It sounds amazing! What a beautiful idea. Sailor Moon is especially a good theme because you can make it very elegant while still remaining true to the theme! Good luck!
  • I just got here by googling Sailor Moon bridesmaids, haha. I love it! I'm so excited for you, and I really want to see pictures of how it all comes together. I wanted to see if anyone had a photo of their bridesmaids in each (inner) senshi's final pose in their transformation. I think I'm going to make my bridesmaids do that pose even though there's only one other fan in the group. Now I have to decide who's who! ;) 

• Totally got my fiance to agree to me doing all the sailor moon I want, bridesmaid wise. :D He has no idea what he's started.
  • Hi,

I love your wedding invitation design, I was wondering if I could use this for my own wedding, that I’m planning for now. If that is alright with you. If you don’t mind could you please send me the original picture so I could us this design for my own wedding. Or tell me how you made it, that would mean so much to me. I’ve  been looking everywhere to find something that is so pretty and unique.  I also wanted to ask what time of font did you use for the lettering? Please and thank you for taking the time to read this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards